Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough HELP!

Options
Made from scratch dough sat nite for cards packer game, had xl and L up to 650F.  Followed varasano ratios and mixing techniques- autolysed, and mixed it with dough hooks on handheld.   It wasnt my best but itbwas pretty good.  I apologize for not taking picts.  We were so busy entertaining, drinking and being entertained i just didnt have the oppty to take picts.  Plus i was making pizza all nite.

But in the last four times i made dough with KA bread flour it was perfect, the dough cooperated, spreading out evenly and with little effort,   on saturday, it would spring back and i was forced to use the mini wood roller.  Za was good but not awesome

The only differences in the way i made the dough was this time the first autolyse was 2x longer than varasano minimum recommendation of 20 mins and i accidentally used 25% more biga as the starter.   

Question: would these two factors, longer autolyse and extra starter make that much difference in final dough being uncooperative? Everything else was unchanged from when i mafe perfect dough in last 4 attempts

Any input would be helpful....

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    But in the last four times i made dough with KA bread flour it was perfect, the dough cooperated, spreading out evenly and with little effort,   on saturday, it would spring back and i was forced to use the mini wood roller.  Za was good but not awesome

any input: do what you did the last four times, and not what you did on Saturday
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Well that settles it then, no extra autolyse and no extra biga starter....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    As a good friend once asked me, "I figured out how to do something perfect then I changed it & it sucked, what should I do?"

Stop changing it when you hit the nail on the head.  It's not that hard.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Fidel said:
    As a good friend once asked me, "I figured out how to do something perfect then I changed it & it sucked, what should I do?"

Stop changing it when you hit the nail on the head.  It's not that hard.

A good friend? I thought you wanted him hurt badly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I can remember when this was a much more friendly place
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I sense that this is an angry group
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    I sense that this is an angry group

I didn't say killed which is an accurate quote

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    A couple of things I found that makes dough spring back instead of stretching, not enough kneading (I use a dough hook on my KA for at least 5 minutes after it comes together) or didn't proof long enough. I give its at least an hour or more.

If your UNLIKE me, you plan ahead and make dough a few days before hand. It really does improve the taste to let it rise in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. But you need a few hours to let the dough to come up to room temp before working it.

Don't fret, we all have had bad pizza days. It happens.  
  • westernbbq
    Options
    thanks BeaverCreek Smoker.  I will try again in the coming weeks and hope dough cooperates...
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    I think I read somewhere here before that cold temperature can cause the dough to spring back. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• westernbbq
    Options
    It was chilly for us in phx sat nite.   50s outside, maybe high 40s amd inrolled the dough outside at my pizza making station. Ill take picts sometime and post here