Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Bread

Options
2»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SciAggie said:

For sure he is getting great success. I'm not implying my way is better - I was just offering something to think about that might make managing the bread easier. Particularly if you slash a loaf and then have to drop it in a Dutch oven - I think plopping it on a pizza stone is easier. Others may have different ideas. Again, I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm some kind of know-it-all. I was throwing out an idea for discussion.
    I only asked because I have never used a cloche. I did not know if it offered other benefits. Thank you for all the information. Hard to beat fresh bread off the Egg...or Oven.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Photo Egg I don't think there is any quality of product advantage using the cloche. I have had my cloche since way before baking bread in CI became a thing - otherwise I would use CI as well probably. 
    If you start using very high hydration doughs they become difficult to manage and you might find the method I suggested helpful. For example dumping a loaf from a banneton into CI requires good aim :) If you want to score the loaf with a lame you are required to reach down into a 500 degree CI oven - I would burn myself. If you don't deal with those issues however I doubt there is any reason to change from what you are doing. I hope this gives you information to store away.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Made this tonight

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    I'm about to try baking in the egg but I'm not sure of the process. Does the CI Dutch oven need to be in the egg heating up to 450 and then add the dough or do I place the dough in the DO and when the egg is up to temp place all into the egg?
  • dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    Options
    Yes put the DO on the PS heat to 425  put the dough on a piece of parchment paper, set it inside 30 min with the lid on and 15 min with the lid off
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    Thanks dogfoot 

• GlennM
    Options
    I preheat to 475 and just drop the dough gently in the DO. Carefull, it's real hot!
  • Grillnugget
    Options

First bake is in the book. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Grillnugget - Looks fantastic!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GlennM
    Options
    Made another one. I'm on holidays and don't have a scale but I'm still very pleased with the results

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2016
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Chubbs  .. It was actually really simple, 3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour,1/2 teaspoon rapid rise yeast 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1& 1/2 cups of water.

Fold ingredients gently (as not to bruise the dough) into each other .. cover overnight.

I think I'm going to give this a go.  Thanks for the recipe.  No eggs?  Dough sits 18 hours on counter or in the fridge?  Thanks.
    Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    blasting said:
    SoCalTim said:
    @Chubbs  .. It was actually really simple, 3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour,1/2 teaspoon rapid rise yeast 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1& 1/2 cups of water.

Fold ingredients gently (as not to bruise the dough) into each other .. cover overnight.

I think I'm going to give this a go.  Thanks for the recipe.  No eggs?  Dough sits 18 hours on counter or in the fridge?  Thanks.
    It sits on the counter, it actually can go as long as 24. I made the dough at 5pm on Saturday and starting baking 'round noon. No eggs.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SoCalTim That kind of dough is what got me back into baking. I can make the dough at night before I go to bed, and then bake the next day when I get home from work. The long development time makes it work for me - and the bread is excellent.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Bump.

Sorry folks, just looking for any naysayers out there who might try to talk me out of this bread method !!!!!

I'm salivating and drool is running down my chin as I read this thread !!!!!

I have to try it soon....thanks everyone for sharing !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• stonedog03
    stonedog03 Posts: 52
    Options
    No knead bread, baked in a enameled dutch oven.  I encourage you to try it as you won't be disappointed.

XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • dldawes1
    Options
    stonedog03...any particular no knead recipe/instructions ??

Here are the basics gleaned from this thread...

SoCalTim Posts: 1,510
    @Chubbs  .. It was actually really simple, 3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour,1/2 teaspoon rapid rise yeast 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1& 1/2 cups of water.

• stonedog03
    Options
    This is what I'm using, the only change being that I add the flour by weight (King Arthur Flour) :

Basic No-Knead Bread
    Slightly adapted from Jim Lahey’s My Bread

Ingredients:
    6 cups bread flour (recommended) or all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
    1/2 t. instant or active-dry yeast
    2 1/2 t. salt
    2 2/3 c. cool water

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the water and stir until all the ingredients are well incorporated; the dough should be wet and sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest 12-18 hours on the counter at room temperature. When surface of the risen dough has darkened slightly, smells yeasty, and is dotted with bubbles, it is ready.

2. Lightly flour your hands and a work surface. Place dough on work surface and sprinkle with more flour. Fold the dough over on itself once or twice and, using floured fingers, tuck the dough underneath to form a rough ball.

3. Generously dust a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with enough flour, cornmeal, or wheat bran to prevent the dough from sticking to the towel as it rises; place dough seam side down on the towel and dust with more flour, cornmeal, or wheat bran. Cover with the edges or a second cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours, until it has doubled in size.

4. After about 1 1/2 hours, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a 6-8 quart heavy covered pot, such as a cast-iron Dutch oven, in the oven as it heats. When the dough has fully risen, carefully remove pot from oven. Remove top towel from dough and slide your hand under the bottom towel; flip the dough over into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough looks unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes.

5. Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 10-15 more minutes, until the crust is a deep chestnut brown. The internal temperature of the bread should be around 200 degrees. You can check this with a meat thermometer, if desired.

6. Remove the bread from the pot and let it cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.

• dldawes1
    Options
    Next question from bread newbie....on room temperature.

My kitchen area stays around 68F....is that close enough....does it take longer for rising at a few degrees cooler temp?  Will it still rise at a few degrees lower temp?

Yeah, I'm an analyzer....I know !

• stonedog03
    Options
    That temp should be fine.  Get at least the 12 hours of rise time.
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Bump.

Sorry folks, just looking for any naysayers out there who might try to talk me out of this bread method !!!!!

I'm salivating and drool is running down my chin as I read this thread !!!!!

I have to try it soon....thanks everyone for sharing !!!!

dldawes1 -- did you ever bake bread in the egg?  I've been lurking about here & there, trying to gather information.  I think I want to give it a shot this week.  Curious to see how yours turned out. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Just thought I'd chime in and say that I'm loving these bread posts. Looks fantastic. My wife is a most-excellent baker and I've been asking her to help me make some bread on the Egg, but we haven't gotten the time just yet. Maybe I can show her some of the mouth-watering pics from this post and twist her arm to make some with me.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Just thought I'd chime in and say that I'm loving these bread posts. Looks fantastic. My wife is a most-excellent baker and I've been asking her to help me make some bread on the Egg, but we haven't gotten the time just yet. Maybe I can show her some of the mouth-watering pics from this post and twist her arm to make some with me.
    The family that 'bakes' together ... stays together. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good looking loaf. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL