Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough BLASPHEMY

Options
If OO flour is in your pantry or vocabulary, move on, nothing to see here.  For my brethren who, like me, haven't taken the time to master dough making, I have a nice cheat for you.  At the recommendation of a friend I grabbed some Pillsbury thin crust dough from the biscuit section at store.  Turned out really good! I will definitely do it again.   Pic was focused on the main ingredients prior to me tasting the crust, so no real crust shots.  Pizza is pesto, goat cheese, tomato, garlic in that order.  When pizza was almost done I put on the chopped arugula that had been drizzled with EVOO and lemon juice and broiled to wilt the arugula.  FANTASTIC! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/129557/goat-cheese-arugula-pizza---no-red-sauce/

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking great from here.  That recipe sounds excellent.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

00 Flour is both in my pantry and my vocabulary, but that would not stop me from hitting that! Looks great.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Excellent in my book!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    I gotta be honest.  I'm a pizzaiolo, and I hate 00 unless it's in a screaming hot wood-burning oven making pizza napoletana.  Heck, in my wood oven I use cheap Gold Metal bread flour just because it lines up with what I want better than most 00s.  

If you've got something that works, use it and enjoy it.  Nice looking pizza.

Stan
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

I don’t know about Pillsbury dough but I believe the only bigger scam to come out of Italy than 00 may have been Ponzi himself, stuff is garbage

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Those look like some nice tomatoes.
    NOLA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2016
    Options
    3-4 ingredients on real pizza dough versus 50 in that processed can....that may or may not be "real" food.
    ill take real dough or just pass.

00 is really for thin crust light pizza. 
    Seattle, WA
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    00 is for cooks at 800+ degrees (which the Egg does not really do).  It makes a thin, wet, soft, pillow-like pizza in a wood oven.  In anything else, it's crap.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    As a kid, on Friday nights, my father (not a cook at al) frequently baked pizza made with Pillsburry pizza dough.  From time to time, I get cravings for it.  I have one can in the refrigerator right now.

As for 00, I have to disagree with some opinions here.  It was a game changer for me.  However, you have to bake it at a very high temperature otherwise it is tough and does not brown.  When baked properly, nothing beats it.

Options
    paqman said:

As for 00, I have to disagree with some opinions here.  It was a game changer for me.  However, you have to bake it at a very high temperature otherwise it is tough and does not brown.  When baked properly, nothing beats it.

Sure, they're all opinions...  as for the 'must be high heat' comments I baked it at over 800 degrees in a Blackstone & from my vantage point almost anything beats it, I worked 10 bags of that crap from every angle & came up short; had it in some ‘real’ WFO pizza places too & thought it equally sucked, just a matter of taste like everything else I suppose

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania