Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel

Anyone have a daisy wheel where the holes don't line up exactly? My is fine all the way open or all the way closed. If I try to do partially closed/open some of the holes are almost fully covered and some are almost fully open. Not sure I need to be fully concerned, just looking for feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That doesn't sound right.  Can you post a couple pics of DW in different positions?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    I haven't had that issue. I'd call the dealer you purchased the egg from. They may replace it for you. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    i wouldnt lose sleep over that
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I don't know that I would worry to much about it. By only having a couple pedals barely open it might help lower temps. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Put it in the garage and leave it. You don't need it at all. 4 Eggs and zero Daisy Wheels   
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Put it in the garage and leave it. You don't need it at all. 4 Eggs and zero Daisy Wheels   
    What do you use to control the temp on low and slow cooks?
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    My daisy wheel looks the same.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• That's what my DFMT looks like, too. It may even be by design... if you think about it, offsetting the daisy wheel openings is exactly the same as changing the slots on SmokeWare's chimney cap from straight to angled.

I'd be interested to know if that's intentional...
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2016
    Just spit balling here but maybe you have the bottom adjustment to far to one side? It kinda looks off center to me. Maybe move it around a little and see what you get. From picture view move left a bit.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Deek1997 said:
    Mickey said:
    Have not done a low & slow in 5 years, nor an overnight. Gave away and sold both my controllers. I now get to sleep at night.
    I turbo anything needing low and slow with not problems. 
    I have no wires running out of my Eggs anymore. 
    But that's just me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Mickey said:
    Deek1997 said:
    Mickey said:
    Have not done a low & slow in 5 years, nor an overnight. Gave away and sold both my controllers. I now get to sleep at night.
    But that's just me.

I am confused.  Are you saying when you cook you always have the top wide open? Even apart from low and slow how do you control temperature (I am assuming you don't have a smokeware cap).
    Toronto ON
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited January 2016
    99% of your temp control is through the bottom vent.  the cop can only make minute adjustments

and im with mickey, no more overnights for me.  turbo if needed is where its at
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Simcan said:
    Mickey said:
    Deek1997 said:
    Mickey said:
    But that's just me.

I am confused.  Are you saying when you cook you always have the top wide open? Even apart from low and slow how do you control temperature (I am assuming you don't have a smokeware cap).
    Closing the lower vent will lower your temps. Less air coming in lower vent equals lower temps.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Photo Egg said:
    Simcan said:
    Mickey said:
    Deek1997 said:
    Mickey said:
    But that's just me.

Closing the lower vent will lower your temps. Less air coming in lower vent equals lower temps.

For sure, but I always use both the lower and the top to manage temp.  I have never tried doing it with just the bottom.  I assume it works from this chain...what is the minimum temp you can steadily achieve with this method, out of curiosity?  Meaning if the vent is open a crack and the top is wide open?
    Toronto ON
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Simcan said:

... I am confused.  Are you saying when you cook you always have the top wide open? ...
    Actually, I think they're fully closed ... it's just that they are 30 or 40 feet away from their respective egg.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  It's next to impossible to balance the top and bottom vents to accurately control the egg.  It's much easier to control temps with either the top vent or the bottom vent.  Most folks control temps with the bottom vent.  The top vent is more-or-less a safety line ... the top vent is adjusted to keep the temps from running away and going nuclear.  Think of Mickey as cooking without a safety line.

PS ... I use the smokeware cap, but it's temp control function is used mostly for low-and-slow cooks.  The rest of the time it's there to make the egg look good and keep rain and snow off the protein.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Simcan said:
    ... what is the minimum temp you can steadily achieve with this method, out of curiosity?  ...
    I think it was @nolaegghead who said you could shut down the egg by only closing the bottom vent.  One of these days I'll try that.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Looks off center
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Looks like an excuse to buy a smoke ware top to me.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Simcan said:
    ... what is the minimum temp you can steadily achieve with this method, out of curiosity?  ...
    I think it was @nolaegghead who said you could shut down the egg by only closing the bottom vent.  One of these days I'll try that.
    I suppose that's possible if the bottom vent fits perfectly to allow no air flow at all.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Deek1997 said:
    Mickey said:
    Mickey...L&S cooks :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 
    That's a good one. :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't do lo n slo cooks all that often. When I do, I use the DFMT and a DigiQ. Otherwise, I never use the daisy. I used to, when I first got my egg, but that was before I knew it wasn't needed. 350° is about the lowest I've gone without it.

I've never tried to see how low a temp I could reliably maintain without the daisy. Or tried the DigiQ without it. As I recall, back in the days when I used the daisy and did not have a controller, 250° meant the bottom was open about 1/16" as were the petals in the daisy. Seems like it would be tough to remove the daisy from that config and hold 250. Then again, if air can't get IN it's not going to try to get OUT. One of these days, I'll try it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OMFG. Use whatever works

anyone can cook using only the lower vent, or the daisy alone, or both. Plenty of logical reasons why

my egg sits on the ground. I rough in the temps with the lower and fine tune with the upper. 

If it were in a table or nest, i'd maybe use the lower only. 

But even then, the daisy is a good visual reference for me. Better/easier than sighting the lower vent 

to each his own
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]