Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best replacement thermometer for my dome?

Options
Any recommendations out there? I've tried calibrating, but no movement on the dial whatsoever... time to replace.

Thanks in advance!
Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Smokeware
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have not purchased one, so I really do not know if one is better than another, but I believe SmokeWare and Tel-Tru make a quality thermometer. This will probably the route i will take when mine craps out.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I bought the smokeware thermo, but did not have good luck with it. It was always off, despite recalibrating a number of times. I would consider getting a Tel-Tru.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @caliking ... have you contacted Smokeware about  your problems.  Matt stands behind his product. I've got two of their 3" thermometers in use - one red/white/blue & one black/white - and have had no problems with them.

My favorite, hands down, is the new black faced 3" thermometer from Smokeware.  Since I turn the thermometer so that target temp is at 12 o'clock, I can easily "see" if the egg is at target from over 20 feet away.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I have used Tel-tru on many projects with good results
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Options
    I've never had problems with the BGE Tel-tru thermometers. I recently got the Smokeware 3" blackface thermometer. I checked the calibration, and it was right on out of the box.  It's easy to see at a distance. So far, so good.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - I haven't actually. It was a low priority since I had another working thermometer. Maybe I'l give them a call and see what we can figure out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have one each, Tel-True and Smokeware in us,
    Both are very good.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited January 2016
    Options
    and another vote for the new black face thermometer from SmokeWare!

OTOH when I am planning to do a high heat sear then rather than to tax my 100 to 700 SmokeWare I revert to my 200 to 1,000º TelTru.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Mine said 750 last night, so I shut down the air to cool off, It still said 750 half an hour later. I could even tell fire was cool. Just replaced with a new BGE tel-tru, $35.00. Old one still said 750.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE