Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke wood suggestions needed for Prime Rib

Options
I am putting on a 3.5 lb Boneless Prime Rib on New Years Day.  What have any of you used for woods to add a little smoke flavor.  Planning on pit temp at 225 F. Happy New Year! 
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• Homebrewguy
    Options
    Mesquite or hickory
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have used hickory or oak. Both of those are pretty strong. Cherry works too for a little more mild smoke flavor.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Another vote for oak here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Oak is great with beef. Don't need a lot tho
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I don't add smoak to my prime rib.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the chicken fan.  No extra smoke on prime rib.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm totally with Robin^^^^^. No smoke needed. Good luck! Yum. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I went with a little bit of oak and a little bit of cherry, and it worked out great for my taste.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If I was going to use wood it would be a small amount of oak. Oak does lend itself to beef, but the roast, just doesn't need it IMO. However, everybody has different tastes. Mine are likely not the same as yours. Eat what you like. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Red oak, if you can get it.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    For my family...No added smoke for prime rib.. Just plain juicy beef taste..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    For beef I prefer oak. Prime rib maybe even just straight up lump. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chef_Hobo
    Options
    I usually add one single piece of oak chunk for my Prime Rib, you don't want to overpower it in any way.
  • Powderhound
    Options
    All wonderful suggestions, thanks everyone!  Might just go with no wood since this one is for the family and wife really doesn't like the 'smoke' - please wish her well :blush: 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • SmokinBuckeye
    Options
    Just a small amount of oak distinguishes prime rib from any you will ever order from a restaurant while at the same time not overwhelmimgly tasting like bbq. While I'm fairly new to the egg, I have cooked dozens of prime rib roasts over the years on my Weber. My wife orders prime rib out all the time. Always prefers mine. 
    XL BGE, 2 22" Weber Kettles, Weber Performer, Weber Genesis

Bradenton, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you need smoke for rib roast, use RO lump. :lol: 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @jtcBoynton ^^^^ equal to Cowboy on the " oh this sucks" scale :giggle: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Sugar maple or white oak.
  • Powderhound
    Options
    If you need smoke for rib roast, use RO lump. :lol: 
    That is a joke right?  Do you really use RO lump?  I actually use it in my Mini and Mini Max once in a while.  Go to lump has been Wicked Good. 
  • Powderhound
    Options

@jtcBoynton ^^^^ equal to Cowboy on the " oh this sucks" scale :giggle: 
    Yeah, not to worry, won't be putting that on an expensive cut like a Prime Rib! Still cannot believe Cowboy Lump still sells.