Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: no LumiTact G700 LED flashlight for me after all :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November 2015 in Off Topic
Seeing that the mods buried my OFF TOPIC thread I just wanted to post this follow up anyway! Today @Focker posted a recommendation and then tonight @Carolina_Q posted another. Here's the NOW buried dialogue in case you were following any of it.
Carolina Q said:
I agree with Brandon. I have a Surefire E2L Outdoorsman...not the brightest, but a GREAT light! Bought it 2-3 years ago and have cooked with it ever since.  Awesome light, I use it at least once a day. Ridiculous price and it hurt even though I used a gift certificate for the purchase! But I would do it again.

BTW, Surefire SF123A batteries are crazy good.
Thanks Michael. I just didn't post a follow up, but today following Brandon's recommendation I researched SureFire and ordered the G2X from Amazon. Even with free shipping then with tax it came to $60. We have varmints coming up close at night which makes my 4 legged security alarms go ballistic. With the windows we can normally see the varmints before our dogs can so I'm hoping between the blast of blinding light plus sound if need be may save us some time not having to calm down our dogs!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    Options
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    BTW - Amazon just sent me an email that my flashlight that I ordered today with free shipping has been shipped and that it should arrive here on Sunday...yes SUNDAY not the 7 days as stated. Once again I ask why should anybody ever pay extra for postage? Think about it - they can't charge you until your order has been shipped - so since they want their money NOW -  not 7 days from now for "free shipping" - your order will be shipped ASAP so save your money on postage!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    No problem Ron.  They are the best, hands down.  The "our flashlight is this many lumens" marketing is pretty funny.   Kind of like Muck boots having a rating down to -40, yeah Fockin' right lol

Got a kick out of this review the other day.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1PLET3GNBRFNN/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002QIQ80K

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I have been in the market for an LED light.  I want to get one for my daughter at college.  Primarily self defense.  I was looking at the Surefire E2D  - 500 lumens.  Is it overkill?  It is way expensive.
    Milton, GA.
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    I have been in the market for an LED light.  I want to get one for my daughter at college.  Primarily self defense.  I was looking at the Surefire E2D  - 500 lumens.  Is it overkill?  It is way expensive.
    I'm amazed at the intense brightness of the 320 lumen G2X that I just bought from Amazon for $60. That E2D with 500 lumens for $200 is probably overkill IMO...in fact just today I was talking to a Peoria IL policemen and for a tactical light he thought my 320 was overkill. He showed me the small one he carried and it wasn't even a LED, but what he liked about his was the strobe light capability which he prefers to instantly confuse a suspect. He didn't shine it in my face, but demoed it. Personally I think the G2X would be fine for your daughter's carry light. It's only 4 oz and just 5.2" long and it packs a wallop! Be sure to order a dozen batteries as you won't find them locally plus they have a long shelf life. BTW the policeman said no officers he knew who carried SureFire lights used the re-chargeables, but prefer the replacement batteries for backups. Granted their use is different then ours, but I thought it was interesting.
  • RRP
    Options
    Furthermore I'm not sure which E2D you meant as they offer 3 with that model number ranging from $198 to $342. Seeing that there is always a chance a light like that could be lost or stolen then the G2X for $60 makes more sense, but then I'm a practical dude. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You don't need to spend that kind of money that's crazy for those little flashlight. I have an ultra fire kinda like this that I got from merit line like 3 years ago that still works great and is really bright. My older model is bright enough that if you point it at something 5-10' away and look where you point it you see spots. It also uses an 18650 rechargeable which is stronger and lasts longer. This flashlight comes with a battery and charger for under $20. http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-Lumen-Zoomable-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B00KWE4DXY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448322605&sr=8-4&keywords=Ultra+fire
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes - it appears to be a great light for the cheap price, but in reading the reviews it appears it is not a 2,000 Lumen like it implies, but I may very well buy one the next Amazon order! LOL
  • Lit
    Options
    The link might not have saved to the right one there were a couple boxes on the link the E17 new was the one I selected. It says 800 lumens which it's probably still only half that but for under $20 with a battery and charger it's hard to beat. My ultra fire said 1000 lumens several years back and I would bet it's around 300 which is still pretty bright. For a 5" flashlight it's stronger than any mag lite I have ever seen by far.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I have several Surfire G2X tactical and pro models. One in each car, nightstand and some squirreled away for future use. Great light. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Guys, check out O-Light S-10 it's a great little light. Multi modes and rechargeable. 400 lumens (I think) and about the size of your thumb! It's one of my favorites! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lit said:
    You don't need to spend that kind of money that's crazy for those little flashlight. I have an ultra fire kinda like this that I got from merit line like 3 years ago that still works great and is really bright. My older model is bright enough that if you point it at something 5-10' away and look where you point it you see spots. It also uses an 18650 rechargeable which is stronger and lasts longer. This flashlight comes with a battery and charger for under $20. http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-Lumen-Zoomable-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B00KWE4DXY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448322605&sr=8-4&keywords=Ultra+fire
    I've been a flashlight geek for 15 years.  Probably bought 150 of them (where they go I wish I knew).  Listen to lit he has good advise.  18650 batteries are the best.  I probably have 70 of them...recycled out of old laptops mostly.  Cycle them on my Triton computer charger and measure the capacity.  Have so many I sometimes just throw them away.
    Options
    Yeah, lumins are exaggerated on the cheapest lights, ignore them and look at the LED and reviews...and price.  I would never buy a shurefire.  Fenix is about as name brand as I go.  Most cops don't know jack about the lights.  I gave a number of them lessons on LED lights after they saw mine.  
    Options
    Check out dx.com I think. dealextreme.com
    Options
    Flashlights have always been an interest of mine and have endured a few laughs by family members until they see the lights in action. From modded Maglites, to Surefires I have owned a few more than I should admit to. You don't need to spend Surefire $$ to get a great light. As mentioned above, there are tons of great lights these days. Fenix,4 sevens, Olight,Jetbeam, Streamlight and my favorite place to get LED mods for Maglites - Malkoffdevices.com (he also makes drop ins for Surefires as well) Batteryjunction is also a great place for lights, batteries and chargers.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Lit
    Options
    Ivanhoe said:
    Flashlights have always been an interest of mine and have endured a few laughs by family members until they see the lights in action. From modded Maglites, to Surefires I have owned a few more than I should admit to. You don't need to spend Surefire $$ to get a great light. As mentioned above, there are tons of great lights these days. Fenix,4 sevens, Olight,Jetbeam, Streamlight and my favorite place to get LED mods for Maglites - Malkoffdevices.com (he also makes drop ins for Surefires as well) Batteryjunction is also a great place for lights, batteries and chargers.
    Speaking of maglite mods I took an old 2D and got some of the D empty shells and put cr123 batteries in it so I had 1 regular d and the super d cell with the 123 batteries in it and then put a stronger bulb in the light and it made it multiple times brighter. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I like my 5 cell mags with LEDs.  I like the weight.  Although I have to replace the batteries while they still work.  They leak before thr LEDs use up the juice.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I have to use a flashlight constantly working night patrol.  I have been supplied many lights by my agency.  I don't rely on any of them.  I bought a Nite Core MH 25 and absolutely love it and depend on it!!!  I've been using it for about 1.5 years and the rechargeable battery is still going strong.  I use it fishing, hunting, and gator hunting and it is tough as nails.  It charges w/ a USB port or a plug in that works on my android phone.  Check em out on Amazon.  
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    My fav flashlights are Fenix. An older Tk-10 and a pd32 ultimate I think
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    RRP said:
    flynnbob said:
    I'm amazed at the intense brightness of the 320 lumen G2X that I just bought from Amazon for $60. That E2D with 500 lumens for $200 is probably overkill IMO...in fact just today I was talking to a Peoria IL policemen and for a tactical light he thought my 320 was overkill. He showed me the small one he carried and it wasn't even a LED, but what he liked about his was the strobe light capability which he prefers to instantly confuse a suspect. He didn't shine it in my face, but demoed it. Personally I think the G2X would be fine for your daughter's carry light. It's only 4 oz and just 5.2" long and it packs a wallop! Be sure to order a dozen batteries as you won't find them locally plus they have a long shelf life. BTW the policeman said no officers he knew who carried SureFire lights used the re-chargeables, but prefer the replacement batteries for backups. Granted their use is different then ours, but I thought it was interesting.
    Thanks, Ron.  Been traveling a lot but wanted to comment.  Was on Amazon with one click turned on and ended up ordering the shurefire.  I also ordered a cheaper nicore for me.  I will post my review later.  For myself, I want to keep a lookout for coyotes at night.
    Milton, GA.