Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Cure That'll Ale Ya

Options
13»

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Even with the injection I'd like it to go one-two more days. Ideally rinse and wire rack refrigerate for a day or two before smoking. Sounds like you're in a time crunch. So, pulling it from the cure early isn't the end of the world. 
    Smoking go L&S. I went 190℉ till IT hit 150℉
    Couldn't just as easily run 225℉-275℉. You're slicing this like a ham correct?  
    How long did yours take to get to temp?  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Even with the injection I'd like it to go one-two more days. Ideally rinse and wire rack refrigerate for a day or two before smoking. Sounds like you're in a time crunch. So, pulling it from the cure early isn't the end of the world. 
    I took mine to 140 then transferred it to the oven to finish at 165 while basting it about every 30 - 45 minutes.  I smoked at 235-265 for 7.5 hours to 140 and at 225 -260 in the oven from 140 - 165 for another 3 or 4 hours.  It tasted great, but it was a little dry.  Next time I would pull at 1550 - 160 to see if that would make a difference in moisture.  Mine was 15.5 pounds after trimming.  I also let it sit for 45 minutes before slicing.  The smell was incredible.  I mostly followed this and tweaked it with some of the recommendations on this thread.
     http://www.pelletsmoking.com/searching-cure-26/ham-brining-101-bacon-6993/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Great job. I have been saying I was going to do this and never did it!! You have inspired me!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    165 is way too high, because it will hit 175 just sitting there for 45 minutes.

145-150 max. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ladeback69
    Options
    165 is way too high, because it will hit 175 just sitting there for 45 minutes.

145-150 max. 
    I agree and that was the lesson I learned doing this one, but it was still good.  I may try to just double smoke a ham I can get at the market and see how that comes out.  I have seen a lot of good ones on here and may do that for New Years.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    I cured a raw ham once and it is awesome. My problem was I did not have anything but the kitchen refrigerator to put it in. That was a chore and the wife says never do that again. If I had access to a commercial fridge I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Sounds to me that you need a new beer fridge for the man cave. Problem  solved.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  Mine has been in the cure in fridge #3 (don't ask) since January 5th or 6th and will stay there til Weds the 16th.  Then it spends Thurs and Fri sitting out in the fridge til I smoke it.  

With guests arriving Sunday at 11 am, I'm trying to figure out when to put it on the grid.  Options are start it Saturday morning and bring it to room temp for Sunday service (smart move) OR start to smoke Saturday late night/Sunday early morning after I come home from a Holiday party and serve it right off the egg (maybe not so smart, particularly given the party).  

You know where this is going, amirite?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  Mine has been in the cure in fridge #3 (don't ask) since January 5th or 6th and will stay there til Weds the 16th.  Then it spends Thurs and Fri sitting out in the fridge til I smoke it.  

With guests arriving Sunday at 11 am, I'm trying to figure out when to put it on the grid.  Options are start it Saturday morning and bring it to room temp for Sunday service (smart move) OR start to smoke Saturday late night/Sunday early morning after I come home from a Holiday party and serve it right off the egg (maybe not so smart, particularly given the party).  

I hope you meant to say Dec not Jan or it is going to be real salty.   How large is the ham and at what temp are you cooking at?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options

I hope you meant to say Dec not Jan or it is going to be real salty.   How large is the ham and at what temp are you cooking at?

Ooops . . . . December, NOT January for the start of the cure.  

It was 18.75 lbs before taking off the skin and trimming.  Prob close to 15 before the cure.  No idea what it weighs now.  

I'd planned for 200 degrees for a very L&S (that's how Blake ran it and In Blake We Trust)  and I'd take it to 140/145.  But if time (or potential illness) were to be a factor, I could bump up both grid and IT.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Options
    dirty little secret is you don't even need a fridge.  the whole idea behind curing these things was to preserve them.

so called "city hams" are hams quickly cured in a pickle (salt/sugar).  the raw hams were tossed into barrels of brine in rail cars and cured on their way to the city.

whereas country hams and prosciutto were just piled in salt and under weight, and then hung to dry. 

neither case (historically) involved refrigeration

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ladeback69
    Options
    The 15+ pound one I did at 235 for most of the time took about 7.5 hours to get to 145.  I am not sure how many hours to add to it, but I would rather be early instead of late.  I put mine on at midnight when the Egg was stabilized.  I would think if you put it on at midnight with your Egg at 200 you should be ready to come off around 11 or so and let it set for 30 to 45 minutes before cutting just like you would a brisket.  Good Luck and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sorry there's such a delay in me responding. I believe around 11-13 hrs at 190℉ pit to get to an IT of 145℉-150℉. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    why so low, at 190?

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw Meaning why go at 190℉ or why did it take so long to get IT at that pit temp?  Meat was around 33℉ when I put it on if I recall. I didn't note the actual cook time so quite honestly the time was a guess on my part. But, I believe that's a pretty close guess. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Just 190 seems a low dome temp for cooking a ham

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Ya I agree @Darby_Crenshaw it is low (don't recall why I went with 190℉ :i_dunno: ). The one I'm curing now I'll probably smoke around 235℉-275℉
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    just found this and GLAD I did!!  thanks for the great documentation @NPHuskerFL I'll be working this in soon!
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Ya I agree @Darby_Crenshaw it is low (don't recall why I went with 190℉ :i_dunno: ). The one I'm curing now I'll probably smoke around 235℉-275F

The information I was going from talked about first cold smoking the ham to get a long time to get more smokey flavor, but I didn't want it to be to strong and I was under a time frame to get mine done.  So 190 wouldn't be to bad, but they talked about going at 165 for a few hours then rump it up.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    except a comparative amount of cold smoking doesn't give you more smoke flavor than hot smoking (hour for four),  gives you less, actually. 

but you can do it a lot longer without cooking the meat. 

you'd need (guesswork here) maybe 4-6 hours cold smoke on a ham before you get the same amount of smokiness that you would with an hour of hot smoking.

it's not an hour for an hour.

so running a cold smoke for a few hours before hot smoking is not going to give you any more smoke than if you just went ahead and hot smoked it.

cold smoking yields a milder smoke to begin with, too.

• Ladeback69
    Options
    This is what I was going from and it could be wrong.  They suggest taking the ham to 165 which is what I did and will not do again, because it was to dry.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Options
    couple glaring bro-science errors in that chart:

-smoke doesn't penetrate, FWIW.  would be great if it did, bu it doesn't.

-"smoke absorption stops when exterior meat reaches 140" is foolishness, and oft-repeated.  the smoke RING stops forming (in uncured meats) at 140, but smoke will add flavor at any time.  meat temp is irrelevant w/r/t smoke flavor being added.

-"never cold smoke unless the meat has been cured with nitrite".  gee. so much for nova lox, many american county hams, etc.

re the internal temp of165, that is brutal for pork. 

with the BGE though, raw pork (not cured) will actually still be fairly moist at 165, and many people still prefer all-white or even gray pork, and expect it to be firmer and dry. so you could cook a loin to 165 and get away with it

but when you cure ham, you are going to perceive a drier product to begin with, even though it is likely brine-cured.  so that 165 will be dry dry dry.  and since pork is safe at 138, going beyond 145 is criminal. 145 will basically heat the ham up. it is already firmed from the cure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I find cold smoking imparts smoke at a lesser rate than hot smoking.  Cold smoking gives you a more mellow....less bitter smoke.  Depending on your setup.  
    Options
    couple glaring bro-science errors in that chart:

-smoke doesn't penetrate, FWIW.  would be great if it did, bu it doesn't.

-"smoke absorption stops when exterior meat reaches 140" is foolishness, and oft-repeated.  the smoke RING stops forming (in uncured meats) at 140, but smoke will add flavor at any time.  meat temp is irrelevant w/r/t smoke flavor being added.

-"never cold smoke unless the meat has been cured with nitrite".  gee. so much for nova lox, many american county hams, etc.

re the internal temp of165, that is brutal for pork. 

with the BGE though, raw pork (not cured) will actually still be fairly moist at 165, and many people still prefer all-white or even gray pork, and expect it to be firmer and dry. so you could cook a loin to 165 and get away with it

but when you cure ham, you are going to perceive a drier product to begin with, even though it is likely brine-cured.  so that 165 will be dry dry dry.  and since pork is safe at 138, going beyond 145 is criminal. 145 will basically heat the ham up. it is already firmed from the cure

I agree, that's one reason I smoked at 225 to 235 for most of the time and like i said I learned a lesson from this in going to 165.  I should have taken it off at 135 or the most 140, but it was 145 by the time I woke up.  Next time I will know to watch it closer and shat adding glaze at 120 or so.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ladeback69 @Darby_Crenshaw
    4 days down. 6 days to go on the cure of these two. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    So, I've got mine resting in the fridge after 10 days in the Cure.  

Here's a pic of that bad boy and the link to my ham thread is below.  Can't wait to get this beast on the egg around midnight Saturday!!  Thanks again to @NPHuskerFL and others for all the awesome info and assistance.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189628/christmas-and-chanukah-ham-project-thread#latest

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL -- Yet another question as I get ready to smoke my ham.  Did you rub it before it went on the grid?  I've read the thread a bunch, but didn't see any mention of rub . . . may have missed it, or maybe it's not something that's done.  Wonder why?  I'd be inclined to put some kind of sweet-ish rub on mine, and don't think that would screw it up, but don't want to screw it up!

Midnight is my target time to start the smoking, (and I'd rub this afternoon) so if you see this before then, let me know!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing No Sir I didn't rub with anything. I wanted the cure for Ham and smoke for extra flavor + the finishing glaze. That said a Pecan Rub like Deez Nuts  (or similar rubs) could possibly compliment all things involved. Not necessary but, sure why not. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing No Sir I didn't rub with anything. I wanted the cure for Ham and smoke for extra flavor + the finishing glaze. That said a Pecan Rub like Deez Nuts  (or similar rubs) could possibly compliment all things involved. Not necessary but, sure why not. 
    Thanks so much.  The "why not" was exactly what I was thinking.  I trimmed it down pretty good, so I'm thinking that with less of a "fat cap," some rub might be good.  Made the glaze this morning before work, and will post it on my other thread.  Very basic, accounting for the tastes of the crowd, but with a gingery and thai chili spin.  Quite excited to get this thing going and, once again, grateful to you and others for blazing the trail and answering all these many questions!
    It's a 302 thing . . .