Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 200 - Sweet Success

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @blind99 ... on the old egg (graph above), the felt seal is hard as a rock and leaks some ... thus I run with the older Smokeware cap just barely closed.  On the new egg with a better felt seal, I run with the new angle vented Smokeware cap open about a 1/16".  Both eggs are large and both Smokeware caps have seals between the cap and the egg.

Best I can explain is to close down your top vent until the pit temp graph shows the temperatures biased towards the negative side of your target temp.  That indicates that the natural air flow is low enough to keep the pit temp under control.

One thing I hope Michael addresses in the future is the fan graph (green) data.  Something like a moving average would seem to be easier to read.  But, for the time being, keeping the peaks between 40 to 75% or so seems to be just about right.  If it's running too much, you've choked off the natural airflow too much ... open the vent a little.  And, if it's not running enough, then you've got the natural airflow temp set too high ... close off the vent a little.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - have you used the keep warm feature on your fb200? I haven't used my FB as much as you have,  but I think this could be useful. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @caliking ... no I haven't used it on either the Guru nor the FB.  I agree with you that it could be useful under the correct conditions.  I'm always around when the protein finishes, so haven't tried it yet.  Most times I'm praying that it'll finish on time ... ramp down feature features are not even in the cards.  Saturday's pork butt is a prime example ... planned the cook for 1.0 to 1.5hrs per pound.  It took at 1.488hrs per pound ... was pulling it as guests arrived.

Would be interested in other's experiences with it though. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    @caliking ... no I haven't used it on either the Guru nor the FB.  I agree with you that it could be useful under the correct conditions.  I'm always around when the protein finishes, so haven't tried it yet.  Most times I'm praying that it'll finish on time ... ramp down feature features are not even in the cards.  Saturday's pork butt is a prime example ... planned the cook for 1.0 to 1.5hrs per pound.  It took at 1.488hrs per pound ... was pulling it as guests arrived.

Would be interested in other's experiences with it though. 
    Told you it would be 1-1.5 hrs.  You were right in the window.

I also said I like a min 3hr ftc.  If you had aimed for that you would have had it pulled before the guests arrived ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, makes sense now. Now I just have to get the outdoor electric outlet fixed!  I have two brisket requests between Xmas and New Years so I'll be putting the FB200 to the test. Can't wait! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MelSharples
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Thanks for the very detailed write up. Do you (or anyone else) have any advice regarding this vs the cyberq unit? @HofstraJet @MelSharples what did you guys decide?

I spoke with @stlcharcoal before I pulled the trigger on the FB200 even got a great deal from him.  I have had absolutely no trouble with the unit and have done a 14 hour and a 22 hour cook with it from the comfort of my couch, Marshall's with the Mrs., and the ball field.  The only tricky part is figuring out where to set the openings on the daisy wheel.  Wifi set up was a breeze and monitoring on the web is equally as easy.  Would love to see an app for iTunes some day, but I won't hold my breath.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • MelSharples
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Jeepster47 - have you used the keep warm feature on your fb200? I haven't used my FB as much as you have,  but I think this could be useful. 

I used the keep warm feature on a 22 hour beef clod cook that ran through the night.  Desired temp was reached at 4am and the keep warm feature kicked in and held it until 8 am when I was finally able to pull it.  Clod is pretty forgiving so you have to take that into account, otherwise the feature worked great.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Newport65
    Options
    I have been looking at different temp controllers since I bought my large a year and half ago and now I am leaning towards the FB200 due to this thread (great thread).  I even got permission to pull the trigger.  I couple people mentioned the deal they got from  @stlcharcoal , can someone clarify the deal?

Farmington, CT

LBGE

• MelSharples
    Options
    I guess it's not really a deal per say, he sells them at a good price. Better price than you may find at your local supplier. He'll probably answer your question shortly.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Jwork328
    Options
    I'm looking for a temp controller I can't decide what to get the flame boss 200 or the cyber q
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Jwork328 said:
    I'm looking for a temp controller I can't decide what to get the flame boss 200 or the cyber q
    What are you looking for in a controller?  We can help spend your money :)

The FB is a simple straight forward unit.  Setup and use is a breeze, including wifi.  If you have issues Michael will respond right away.  The fan unit on the cyber q's looks nicer, but there internet setup can be very intimidating.

I would email @stlcharcoal and ask him his opinion.  He has used them all and offers food prices on the units.

If it helps, I would replace my FB200 tomorrow if it died.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jwork328
    Options
    Yeah I've talked to Jonathon @stlcharcoal I'm going to go flame boss 200 what's yalls longest cook with it 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Really happy with my FB200 as well. Did a ton of research and decided it was the best fit for me, mostly on the positive feedback regarding customer service. 

Mine me was a bit of a surprise gift to myself. Ordered it late on a Friday after getting into some bourbon. Opened the box the following week and was very surprised. Would do it all over again.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    FB 200 phone interface looks sharp lot simpler than say the Stoker or guru. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Jwork328 said:
    Yeah I've talked to Jonathon @stlcharcoal I'm going to go flame boss 200 what's yalls longest cook with it 
    FB100 in my XL I have done a 20hr cook.  Including warm up.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    So I got one of these delivered today. Very fast service again from firecraft!!!
    However, It did not come with the adapter for the egg. Talked to a friend who also ordered the same day and he also did not get the adapter. Is this piece an extra??  Do i just make my own? calling on @Jeepster47 or @Ozzie_Isaac or @stlcharcoal or anyone else know the answer?? Thanks

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @grege345 ... here are the parts that came with mine ...

The large square plate in the top center is the adapter for the large.  The blower unit mounts in the square hole in the center ... blower fan upwards like in the picture.  Drop the adapter in the bottom groove, slide to the left under the door stop, and slide the screen and door over the right side.

• grege345
    Options
    nope those two pieces with the hole were not in the box. 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @grege345 ... that's a bummer my friend.  This ( @MichaelCollins ) should make him aware of your problem.  A phone call (407-442-2771 or 800-978-9078) this afternoon should also make it to him.  Don't forget to mention your friend is also missing the same pieces.

• grege345
    Options
    I called yesterday. No answer. Maybe I'll have better luck monday

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just checked the dozen I have in stock.....all have both plates.  Sounds like there were some bad ones that went to FC.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @grege345     I made Santa check. My package, which shipped direct from Michael Collins / flame boss has the pieces tucked in the papers at the bottom. Man I can't wait to use this sucker!  

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Bum deal.  No doubt Michael will make it right.  Btw, my offer stands.  I won't be using my adapters till end of December 30th.