Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glad We Don't Have A Wegman's Close To Us

SWMBO, our grand daughter, and I were in Boston visiting our other son and daughter-in-law today. On the way home we stopped at Wegman's in Newton. I love that store, and I would be bankrupt if there was one closer. 

These will be cooked up for dinner tomorrow along with some mashed cauliflower and salad:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Nice!

SWEET!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    We have one about 1/2 hour from us. $200 minimum every time I go. I love that place. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    I have one within walking distance of work. Wegman's is off the chain. If they don't have it, they will get it for you. And the people who work there are happy; Wegman's consistently makes the top 10 best places to work lists. Google it. 

Our Wegman's has a cheese department that rivals Di Bruno Brothers in Philadelphia. I can get 5 year aged Gouda. I can get mimolette. Emmentalers, gruyeres, butterkases, everything except no Limburger. And prices are reasonable. 

I could go go on and on. Everywhere should have a Wegman's. Here's the #1 reason why: pork shoulders 10-15 lbs have been $1.49/lb for the last three years running.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    @Mosca, thanks for the pork tips.  I'll have to check them out instead of my Costco-goto.  

I have found their beef prices to be ridiculously high around me.   I find the seafood the same way...and in my store the salmon comes already pre cut in little 6 oz. portion strips?  You can't get a whole damn fillet unless you are buying certain kinds.  I often walk in there expecting to buy a great cut of meat and walk out frustrated.  And the oysters...the only sell them individually.  You can't get them buy the box unless they count out each friggin' oyster and charge you individually.  WTF?!?  

:disappointed:  I have better luck at my Harris Teeter even though I know, overall, Wegmans has the best top shelf selection around.  The prices though...yikes.

The cheese and cured meats, though.  Killer.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Here in NE PA beef is high everywhere, so Wegman's is high too. Brisket is almost $7/lb for flats! That makes those SRF Kobe briskets almost a bargain by comparison.

I can't say about the fish, I can't eat seafood. I have noticed the oysters sitting out individually, though. From the way you wrote your post, I assume you've asked the seafood manager about buying the box. If so, bummer. Maybe there is someone higher up to ask, but if you can get what you want somewhere else I say why bother. 

Our Wegman's is right next to a Price Chopper, and both stores are thriving. Price Chopper has some really good stuff, it was the go-to market before Wegs came to town. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Best grocery store out there.  Their Berkshire pork products are really good too.  They're opening one up about 10 minutes from the house next September or so.  Save me from a 25-30 minute trip (without traffic).  I can't wait.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Strange to me that they are in NY and MA, but skipped over CT. Maybe we will get one some day. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    One is supposed to be built in Williamsburg, VA (about 30 minutes from me). I am excited because I grew up around them in the DC area, but also expecting to have no money once they open. 
    They carry an amazing brand of root beer called Dominion. You should check it out the next time you are in the Boston area again. I buy cases when I visit friends in Northern Virginia.
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wegman's has great meat, and seafood. And a wonderful produce dept! And the cheese!! They even sell Mozzarella di Bufala! Only place I've ever seen it. Also the only place I've ever seen Hatch chilies. Man, those were gone in a flash! Wish I had one nearby. I always shop there when I visit Mom.  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Wegmans is awesome. We have the me in Woodbridge,VA and it does get pricey. I split all my shopping and get all my non-organic bulk stuff from Wall-mart and all the organic stuff at Wegmans.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I get most of my beef from a butcher - unfortunately, they are more than a hour away so we buy bulk from them. We do have Wegmans and their meat prices are typically higher than even Whole Foods. There are certain things we can only find at Wgmn, and split most of our shopping between Safeway and Giant.  There is also a RD not too far (25min?) but have not yet pulled the trigger on a KCBS membership so I can actually shop there.