Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the forum/Ribeye Rub

Options

Hey everyone, been a lurker for some time and wanted to finally sign up.  I've had my egg for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it.  I've never done a steak on it before mainly because my wife doesn't eat red meat so I rarely eat steak unless we are out to dinner.  Anyways, tomorrow is my birthday and I picked up a nice 20oz ribeye I am going to do on the egg.  I've read a few things about how to cook it- 500-600 degrees, 2 minutes on each side, wrap in foil and let it rest for 8-10 minutes for a nice medium rare.  I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve it or make it better so please don't hesitate. 

The thing I am looking for the most is an amazing ribeye rub.  I've got a beautiful piece of meat and part of me says just do some salt and pepper but the other part of me says let's do this right and make it amazing.  Any good rubs you think which will elevate the steak to a different level?  I've already got a garlic butter ready to go to put on top. 

Thanks in advance everyone! 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
     Not being familiar with your tastes, I would suggest keeping it simple with course salt and pepper. Let it sit for an hour with the SP on it.
     For cooking it, I would be tempted to reverse sear the thing, but the method you describe would also work just fine. Depending on the thickness, I would think you might have to repeat the flip process one more time on each side. I cook mine by feel of the tightness of the meat, but your target temp should be @ 125 with a foil wrap IMO. Go with what you are most comfortable. I would say that you don't need to go over 500 to get a good sear and you will buy yourself a larger margin of error on the doneness temp. Good luck, looking forward to pictures!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome!  1+ S & P.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Salt and pepper. Let it sit out for an hour before you Egg it. Definitely reverse sear if it was me. I like to cook it at a low pit temp to about 100 internal, take it off and let it rest until the Egg gets screaming hot, and then quickly sear each side. Maybe a minute each side, maybe less. Can't go wrong with this method. Post some pics! 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Question is how thick is the Ribeye, as I've not had good luck w/RS unless it's 2+''..

RS for me tends to dry out my steaks.  I've been doing "Reverse-Reverse" sear..super high (600) for ~2 min per side (ideally on CI)..rest off the Egg till BGE gets to ~400 after mostly shutting down vents..dwell to desired IT.  Works great especially for Fillets.  Haven't perfected NYs yet.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Salt.  Finish with a little butter.  A good ribeye needs nothing else.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    The now agreed upon method in my house is to let warm, season with sea salt and cracked pepper then bring to 123 slowly before giving them one minute per side at about 700. Not a complaint yet and with some folk liking things a little more rare, I find that 123 allows me some margins - I can flip that bad boy first and haul it off first. 

Wrap well in foil for 10 and yer done.

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Foil wrapping sounds like a sin to me.  Beef foul.  Just saying.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't wrap steaks in foil unless you're trying to cook them well done.
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm sure you both have your reasons for that, and I'd like to see your method. I am curious - no challenge.

I got mine here: http://www.biggreencraig.com/reverse-sear-ribeye.html and I have never had a steak go beyond medium rare.
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @sometrailsomewhere Craig isn't wrapping in foil - he's covering loosely with foil.  If you wrap a steak in foil, it starts steaming, keeps cooking, gets soggy on the outside. 

I just cook them, let them cool down in the open once off the grill.  If I'm not ready I'll throw a towel over them so they don't cool as fast.   The temp will rise 7 degrees or so with carryover cooking.  So if I'm measuring temp, I'll pull at 105-110 for rare.  Most of the time I just go by feel.
    Options
    @sometrailsomewhere Craig isn't wrapping in foil - he's covering loosely with foil.  If you wrap a steak in foil, it starts steaming, keeps cooking, gets soggy on the outside. 

I just cook them, let them cool down in the open once off the grill.  If I'm not ready I'll throw a towel over them so they don't cool as fast.   The temp will rise 7 degrees or so with carryover cooking.  So if I'm measuring temp, I'll pull at 105-110 for rare.  Most of the time I just go by feel.
    I suck at cooking steaks by temp. I always go by feel now. My results are much better. Roasts to temp, steak by feel. I totally agree. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If you only have access to Grocery Store Rubs, try Montreal Steak Seasoning. It contains coarse salt and pepper and other ingrediates that will provide you with a great flavor. It is a nice notch above S&P in my opinion...... but nothing wrong with the basics either.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Salt.  Finish with a little butter.  A good ribeye needs nothing else.  

This.  Pepper will burn if you high temp.  Add it after.  I don't usually use butter on a ribeye - it's plenty fatty, but I do understand the appeal.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  As you are aware, ask a question around here and you will get several options, all of which will work.  So, not to shy away from the challenge-let the beef shine.  Kosher salt about an hour before you toss it on the BGE-and then when about finished with the cook, add coarse fresh ground pepper.  No rest needed, Sit back, relax and enjoy the eats.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. I can see where I made my mistake - I do not cover tightly with foil and did a piss poor job saying so.

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • jonnymack
    Options
    If you only have access to Grocery Store Rubs, try Montreal Steak Seasoning. It contains coarse salt and pepper and other ingrediates that will provide you with a great flavor. It is a nice notch above S&P in my opinion...... but nothing wrong with the basics either.
    Came to post this - Montreal Steak Seasoning definitely does the trick if you want something above S&P.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    Options
    Love to do my steaks reverse sear! Like a nice 1.5 - 2 inch Ribeye. Cook it low n slow at about 230-250 indirect. (Pecan, Oak woods... just a few chunks) When it reaches 125 I snatch it off and throw it on my gas searing station... bout a minute on each side .... just enough to get a nice crust on it. Then foil it with a big ole slab of butter. Rest for 10-15 mins and its time to dig in! My favorite seasoning is Montreal... Like to season and wrap and store in refer at least 24 hours. Pull an hour before cooking. 

Gooder n snuff and not near as dusty!
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Cave man!  Caveman!  Caveman!

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)