Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy spatch skin - anyone do it w/Mickeys?

Options
SmokyBear
SmokyBear Posts: 389
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys..

Has anyone managed to get crispy spatch skin w/Mickeys?  I haven't been able to do this to save my life and am wondering if a different rub (eg: DP) would make any difference.

I do all the standard stuff..don't wash the chick..dry it with paper towels..put on a raised drying rack in the fridge (albeit maybe not long enough)..cover with rub (Mickey's).  No butter or oil.  Raised direct at 400'ish until done, which is coming in ~40 min on the small 3 lb'ish birds my local butcher has in lately.

Do I just need to use bigger birds and go longer?  I pulled at 175+ in the breast last night and didn't want to kill it by leaving it on longer to crisp.

Or, should I cook at a lower temp (say, 350?) for longer?

Ugh!  The quest for crispy skin continues..
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't see why the rub would make any difference. I spatched a turkey with that rub for Thanksgiving and it was wonderfully crispy. Two things different... raised DIRECT and I flipped it a couple of times (as I always do). 

I've tried indirects before and they just don't seem to crisp up very well. Others feel differently.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Doh!  I meant that I cook raised DIRECT, not indirect..(fixed earlier post).

Also should have mentioned - I do the first 7 minutes breast side down, then about 35 additional minutes on the chick's split back turning [not flipping] 90 degrees every 7 min (to prevent burning..)

I thought about doing more time breast side down but want to make sure I don't dry out the breast, either..

On the rub - for some reason I thought saltier rubs would help with crispy skin.  Not sure why I thought that but next time may try classic DP to see if that makes any difference.  I know I've done DP before and should have been keeping better notes as I know I got crispy skin once or MAYBE twice and can't remember what in the world I did differently as almost every chick I do comes out with soft skin..

Was wondering if all the coffee in Mickey's prevents skin from crisping but @CarolinaQ you obviously got it to work just fine with the turkey..

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    If you can get at least over-night in the fridge (uncovered) and then lightly dust with corn-starch when you apply the rub, just before the cook you should be there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you can get at least over-night in the fridge (uncovered) and then lightly dust with corn-starch when you apply the rub, just before the cook you should be there.
    Good suggestion.  Maybe I'm just not going long enough in the fridge.  I also have tried the cornstarch before but did not this time.

I do find that the cornstarch tends to make the rub not stick as well, tho..so, maybe rub under the skin and cornstarch ON the skin..Hmmmm...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Flip it back to breast side down toward the end. I usually flip 3-4 times during the cook. Or so. I really don't count.

My turkey was at least 24 hrs (uncovered, no seasonings) in the fridge. I don't wash poultry, or brine. Just pat dry, season and cook. This was the first time I ever let it sit in the fridge to dry, then seasoned, then cooked. Won't be the last.

Try dusting with cornstarch after seasoning. I don't use it, but that's the way I understand it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Just curious.

Has anyone ever tried multi-tasking their "creme brulee sugar-melting" torch, to crisp up a cheekun that is finished off the grill but still a bit flabby in the derma?  
    Or maybe their Looflighter?   =)  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have done raised direct and indirect for spatchcock. I do indirect exclusively now as it seem to make for a more tender chicken in my opinion. I do most of my chickens on the medium egg get crispy skin going 400-425. I think the small and medium eggs are easier to get crispy skin due to the ceramic being closer to the bird. On a large egg, try raising it higher in the dome and go indirect at 425 and see if that works for you.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I'm confused.  When spatchcocked, what is breast side down?
    Once the bird is splayed, I can understand skin side down and skin side up, but either way, the breast is getting direct heat on the skin or on the breast bone.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We get crispy skin regardless of the cook.  We just salt the skin (don't go overboard with he salt) and let the bird sit in the fridge for several hours.   Whether use direct or indirect method always cook at felt line or higher.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I'll bet this same question gets asked once per week. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get the bird as high up in the dome as possible. 400 direct works for me. Let that dome do the work. I never flip. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.