Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Vacuum Food Saver??

Options

Hey All,

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving...Looking forward to spending some money on egg accessories (of course) and am leaning towards purchasing a vacuum food saver for freezing meats and leftovers etc.  Does anyone recommend a certain kind/model?  I am sure everyone has a different preference and peoples opinions may vary on this subject, but  I am not too familiar with which features I should look for.  Also, if anyone has seen any sales I could look out for.

Thanks in advance for helping out a novice egger.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Bart,
    I only have an older model so I can't recommend one in particular, but those things often go on sale with a large markdown. So unless you have a pressing need just keep your eyes open in December. OTOH if you want to get a feel for models and features which might interest you take a look that their site. Also you might compare some of these sale prices and take advantage of their cyber Monday prices. Good luck either way!
    Link: http://www.foodsaver.com/defaultstart?gclid=CPv8jZPRuMkCFYQ1aQodCYMJpA&kwid=1803464546x1968845650x56977450
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I have the cheapest foodsaver, got it a few months ago from Costco for about $60.  Works great for dry/dryish stuff but if you want to do liquids it gets tricky.  I use it to seal steaks, bacon, herbs.  Applesauce and salsa worked with some futzing - liquids get drawn up into the seal zone with this type of sealer.

Generic bag refills are available inexpensive from amazon.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    Options
    To seal liquids I just fill the bag, close it with a bag clip, freeze and then seal shut the next day. Very easy solution!
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I have the FoodSaver V4880 from Costco.  Use it all the time, with no problems.  Recommend it highly.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @rrp are you sure you're not ron popeil?  thanks for the tip!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @rrp are you sure you're not ron popeil?  thanks for the tip!
    LOL - nope!

BTW here's another hint. Cut the bottom out of a plastic glass to use as a sleeve to keep your FS bag open plus keeping the walls clean while pouring your soup in. Then close with a bag clip, freeze and seal the next day.

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    thank you guys for all the tips and recommendations, much appreciated!  Looking forward to having my freezer look like yours @rrp

Southwestern, CT

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    blind99 said:

I have the cheapest foodsaver, got it a few months ago from Costco for about $60.  Works great for dry/dryish stuff but if you want to do liquids it gets tricky.  I use it to seal steaks, bacon, herbs.  Applesauce and salsa worked with some futzing - liquids get drawn up into the seal zone with this type of sealer.

Generic bag refills are available inexpensive from amazon.

Foodsaver makes special bags for liquid/wet food use.  I have some but haven't tried them yet.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    Options
    Shiff said:

Foodsaver makes special bags for liquid/wet food use. 
    That is true if you want to spend the money. The MSRP is $12.99 for 12 of those special wet bags as compared to $22.99 for 44 of their regular quart bags. Guess that's why I like my fill, freeze and then seal approach.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    I've had the foodsaver sportsman for some time now and it's worked well for me. It's larger then most. Also, comes with a car lighter plugin if you are a hunter and need to bag remotely. 
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I have a base model food saver I picked up on Krogers Managers Special sale for $30 and it totally takes care of business.  Just freezer packed 5 lbs of ground chuck on sale for $9 at Kroger.  No affiliation with Kroger.  Foodsaver is a worthwhile investment.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    A few things from an owner:

I love my gamersaver silver.  It's a manual model without the need for the constant frustration of one of those auto detect sensors when you insert the bags into the machine. I understand that to be a huge headache.

Bags can be bought cheap from a restaurant supply store.

For sealing liquids, you can do as others have mentioned with the bag clip and freeze, but I like to put soups in a plastic container and freeze in that. Then once rock solid place in the vac bag and voila!

It pays for itself in no time at all.  I buy bulk and eat for a while.

Restaurant Depot. Restaurant Depot. Restaurant Depot.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @apinion good advice mon ami
    Options
    @nolaegghead thanks my fellow night owl!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    FoodSavor makes several models. They have different bells and whistles, I mean "features".  But do they vary under the hood?  Do different models have different vacuum pumps or is it the same pump for all?  If it is the same pump, then buy the model that has the features you like best. If there are different pumps, get a model with the better vacuum pump.

I choose the basic model - less to go wrong.  Mine has been working fine for several years. When I bought mine there were fewer choices. I think they now offer over 30 versions - the process of trying to determine the "best" model could make your head spin!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options

... the process of trying to determine the "best" model could make your head spin!
    Asking what is "the best" anything is always an invitation to trouble. Just look at the "what is the best lump" threads. :)

As to what is "the best vacuum sealer" the correct answer is the  Weston PRO 3000. Why? Because that is the one I bought. :) 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    True, the best is that which I bought!  :)  So the best lump must be Rockwood or Royal Oak or Trader Joes - because that is what is on my back porch right now.  I even confuse myself!!  :confused: 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    thanks for all the help everyone, although I am sorry to say, I am sure whichever I choose to purchase will be the "best" haha. 

Southwestern, CT

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I once asked my butcher which one of the four roasts in the display case was the best.  He said, "the one you take home with you."

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    apinion said:
    A few things from an owner:

I love my gamersaver silver.  It's a manual model without the need for the constant frustration of one of those auto detect sensors when you insert the bags into the machine. I understand that to be a huge headache.

Bags can be bought cheap from a restaurant supply store.

For sealing liquids, you can do as others have mentioned with the bag clip and freeze, but I like to put soups in a plastic container and freeze in that. Then once rock solid place in the vac bag and voila!

It pays for itself in no time at all.  I buy bulk and eat for a while.

Restaurant Depot. Restaurant Depot. Restaurant Depot.
    +1 Get the generic bags from Amazon.  I love my foodsaver.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Weston
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Use my Foodsaver every day . If you are doing liquid like everyone else said freeze first in bag ,next day seal . If it is something that is just on the wet side,take a folded piece of paper towel and put it in bag just below where seal will be and vacuum it closed ,always good to switch to wet on the seal button too. I have been using vacuum sealers since the 80's. Besides using the two vacuum marinators I have I also vacuum marinate in bags,bigger cuts that don't fit in marinators . Vacmaster makes a nice size that works with foodsavers.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    logchief said:
    +1 Get the generic bags from Amazon.  I love my foodsaver.
    I also use the generic bags made by foodvacbags. They are 4 mil thick and (to me) as good as the ones from foodsaver. Weston bags also work but I haven't tried them since they are 3 mil bags and I'd prefer the thicker ones from foodvacbags.  The cost is only 2 cents more each when buying 100 bags.

I did try one of the foodsaver bags designed for liquids yesterday and won't bother getting them again. I'll use the freeze first then seal the next day that has been mentioned here.  The liquid bags essentially have a paper towel near the opening that absorbs some of the liquid. Another post mentioned just using a paper towel on a regular bag which may work as well.  Definitely not worth spending the money for the special bags.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA