Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Pizza procedure

Options
Would like to try a pizza on the big green egg.  I've read 550- for temperature; however was wondering on timing.

Thank-you

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Honestly the temperature I have found depends in the dough you are using. The dough I make I usually go around 550. Some store bought balls I get I go 400-450. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Honestly the temperature I have found depends in the dough you are using. 
    This is the key right here. ^^^^^^^^
    I make a dough now that can easily handle 700º+ temps.  Store & chain pizza place doughs need to be cooked much lower, 400º-500º range.  The bottoms burn really easy on these types of doughs.
    Personally, I like to go nuclear heat with a wet dough but its really just a matter of preference.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My Dough recipe is in its happy place at 650-750
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 60snight
    Options
    Ready to try today.  Still reading through all the information.  How long is the cooking time?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Time and temperature depend on the dough used, the thickness of the dough, and placement within the egg.  You need to use any advice as a general starting point and be ready to adjust depending on your specific setup. With a cooking temp in the 500º range, you will need times in the 8-12 minute range.  However, do not rely on time - check to see how things are progressing with your specific setup. 

Good dough recipes will provide a recommended cooking temp.  There is a good amount of leeway, but I would not use a deep dish dough at 700º. 

Temperature depends on style of pizza and dough recipe.  You just need to get the right balance of dough, time, temp, and stone placement.  Most pizza need to get some radiant heat from the dome. The key is to get the stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked. If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 60snight
    Options
    Thank-you to all of you.  Pizza tasted fantastic.
  • claphamsa
    Options
    sorry to thread-jack (and ask basic questions)....does everyone use a pizza stone?  I assume so, but always worth asking:)

for pizza do you do direct or indirect heat?

to raise the pizza closer to the dome do you use firebricks and a second grate?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a great looking pizza @60snight.  Looks like you got the procedure just right. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

claphamsa said:
    sorry to thread-jack (and ask basic questions)....does everyone use a pizza stone?  I assume so, but always worth asking:)

for pizza do you do direct or indirect heat?

to raise the pizza closer to the dome do you use firebricks and a second grate?
    Indirect and yes most people use a pizza stone. A typically set up is plate setter legs up, grid, stone on the grid.  If you can put something under the stone to raise the grid that is even better.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 60snight
    Options
    Indirect and yes most people use a pizza stone. A typically set up is plate setter legs up, grid, stone on the grid.  If you can put something under the stone to raise the grid that is even better. 

Also placed some firebrick (flat) approx. 1 1/2" thick; on top of grate and placed pizza stone on to of that.

• Ellis_Dee
    Options
    Hey everyone. Thanks for all the pointers on this thread. Did my first pizza and first calzone on the egg last night and your suggestions helped me get them both just about perfect. Raising the stone was great tip!
    I used a store bought, refrigerated whole wheat dough from Trader Joe's. Not sure if it was because it was whole wheat, or for some other reason, but it seemed to be quite happy with temps in the 500 degree area. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Ellis_Dee ^^^^ pics or it didn't happen
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I roll out my dough and then place it on a pizza screen.  I make the pizza, and then set it on the egg on the screen until the crust firms up.  Then I remove the screen and remove with the peal once it's done.  Time, it's different every pie.  Not just the dough but the toppings will create the variance.  When she is done, she is done.  Make a drink or pour a glass of wine and don't be in a hurry.  Your making pizza on the egg.  Life is good my friend.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina