Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey Question

Options
2»

Comments

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    You guys think I can get a spatched 18 on an LBGE?  I was gonna do a 14 in the oven and an 18 on the egg, but if I can spatch I'd like to try.  I do my chicken that way and there's no better IMO.

I suppose I could swap the two, but every year they all eat the smoked bird and leave the oven bird for leftovers.

Strongsville, OH

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    Follow up it's actually 19 lbs.  I read on the forum here that someone did a 22 lb but had to invert a rib rack, I'm guessing it's draping over the rack.

Strongsville, OH

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I did a 16+ on my parents large. I think a 19 will be a pretty tight squeeze. image
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Did a14 pound Sunday with a some room to spare....think you will need to raise him in the middle (maybe v rack or something else to elevate) to get all of it on.  Would probably have some options planned out and a test fit at some point before I put the bird on for the cook....Have some tin foil handy to wrap legs and thighs where needed so as not to over cook...Get ready for a great turkey with little mess and time involved...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    On brining:  Read the label. If it says anything about an X% solution of blah blah, then the turkey is already brined by Butterball or whoever. They do it for preservation as well as getting to charge you per pound for salt water.

Brining a turkey that has already been brined is redundant. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here is a pic of a 14 pounder I cooked on my lg bge this past weekend.
    I never brine. I slathered with mayo and sprinkled with DP Tsunami Spin. Used RW lump And a hand full of pecan chips. Raised direct 375* took a 1hr 50min.
    Came out wonderful!
    I'm going to try to fit a 18 lb. On Thursday.image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• homebrewtim
    Options
    Any updates on max size bird on Large BGE?  Looks like 16# is the limit.
  • VInyljunkee
    Options
    So I really like indirect for a Spatchcocked Turkey, dry brined for 24 hours and then cooked at 400-425.  I use a drip pan with some liquid....however I have never been succcessful at keeping the drippings from burning off on the pan.  

I'd like to eliminate that extra burnt smoke and ideally keep some drippings.  Is this possible?s