Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time short ribs (pic heavy)

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
This is my first time cooking short ribs. I've been motivated by all the recent posts. It took a while to find a butcher that could get them for me - I had to travel 30 miles to a nearby town but what the heck, right? My wife got some Blue Bell ice cream too so it was worth the trip for groceries. 
I seasoned the ribs with Kosher salt and course black pepper. I have Rockwood lump and hickory chunks in the egg. I am also using the force...

Stay tuned for more...
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Coming right along man. 12th man? Seachickens Fan?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Looking great so far.  Don't know your dome temp but at around 250-260*F on the dome I have seen those ribs take as much as 7 hours to "probe like buttah".  And they beat their pork cousins every time.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Looking great so far.  Don't know your dome temp but at around 250-260*F on the dome I have seen those ribs take as much as 7 hours to "probe like buttah".  And they beat their pork cousins every time.  Enjoy the eats.
    The temps are coming along nicely. I'm guessing these to take 5 1/2 or 6 hours - I've got time for 7 or more. Lots of shiner in the fridge. These smell amazing already. If they taste as good, they'll be a winner.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Standing by!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Options
    They are coming along. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Very nice.  I just put some in the ice box for tomorrow,  it will be my first attempt so I will be watching closely.  Looks like you are doing great for the first time.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If they taste good? No question those are going to be incredible. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Those look incredible.  They've become my favorite cook now.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I'm positive it won't be your last time doing short ribs.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How many lb plate was it ?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    How many lb plate was it ?
    This rack was close to five pounds. It looks like they'll be done in five hours. The egg thermometer is running 260-270 degrees.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  I've got a 6.6lb plate for tomorrow 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    These are probing like buttah. I have them wrapped and in a holding pattern. Pinto beans are tender. I'll whip up some 'taters and grill some carrots in a while. Plated picks to come.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Ok. I'm a fan. These were amazing.

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Friggin home-run right there.  Congrats on the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    How long in total did it take you?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SciAggie
    Options
    The ribs were tender in 5 hours. I wrapped in foil and held in a warm oven for 2 1/2 hours without any ill effect. The wife loved the ribs and the potatoes.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@SciAggie   That meal looks amazing.  Nailed it your first swing!

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Love the side A++++++
  • SciAggie
    Options
    blasting said:

@SciAggie   That meal looks amazing.  Nailed it your first swing!

I love the meaty "brisket" flavor without the time involved (and amount of food) in a full brisket. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Love the side A++++++
    SWMBO even commented how easy the sides were to prepare and how good they were. The carrots were glazed with a cranberry pear balsamic vinegar.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    Options
    Are the potatoes sliced and stacked?
  • SciAggie
    Options
    clweed said:
    Sliced on a cheap mandoline, brushed with clarified butter, S&P, and thyme. I stacked them in a cheap muffin pan. Baked about 50 minutes at 400 degrees.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That is an over the top meal, beautiful job plating that.  How were the potatoes prepared.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    logchief said:
    That is an over the top meal, beautiful job plating that.  How were the potatoes prepared.
    Peal a couple of large Idaho potatoes. Slice thinly with a knife or mandoline. Stack in a muffin tin. Place a few slices, season w/ S&P, a bit of thyme, and clarified butter. Repeat until the muffin tin is full to the top. I baked indirect on the egg at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes until they were tender in the middle. The bottom and edges crisped up nicely.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Very nice brother. Looks like you nailed it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @texaswig Thanks.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    clweed said:
    Sliced on a cheap mandoline, brushed with clarified butter, S&P, and thyme. I stacked them in a cheap muffin pan. Baked about 50 minutes at 400 degrees.
    Great idea, I am going to make these tomorrow with a few slices of onion mixed in