Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Firebox

Options
I just picked up my new firebox from my dealer.  Before I throw away my cracked one is there any use for it?
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I just picked up my new one last week.  My plan is to keep the broken one as long as I can.  Once there is no use I will install the new one.  Best of luck!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks!  Mine is way past due, I have been waiting since April for a new one.  It is in four pieces now.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Leave it in box and cook until you absolutely have to swap out. Mine has been cracked for 2 years
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Sounds about like mine.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Had my new one in the box for about 18 months before the original fell apart trying to remove it to clean out the egg...
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    my new one has been in the box for 2 years and will stay there as long as it can
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If you have an angle grinder with a ceramic blade you could cut three or four one inch squares to hold up a drip pan.  The ceramic has the advantage of not being as slippery as copper tees ... the drip pan doesn't slip around when/if you pull your AR or PSWoo.

You could cut some two inch by four inch spacers for a raised grid.  But, by the time your firebox has cracked, you probably have some other method for cooking raised direct.

Using a broken up fire box when BGE has provided a new one ... and will provide another one if the replacement breaks! I've finally got to ask why you guys do it?  That's an honest question ... no trolling.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

Using a broken up fire box when BGE has provided a new one ... and will provide another one if the replacement breaks! I've finally got to ask why you guys do it?  That's an honest question ... no trolling.
    The only real reason for me... I'm lazy most of the time and didn't want to have to put down my drink or cigar to go get the damn thing
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have an old-style firebox that I discovered was cracked when I was cleaning it the other day and I am not sure the new styles with the slit will suffer the same fate. gotta take a pic and show it to a dealer to get replaced.  I used my cracked fire ring until it cracked in more than one place, ostensibly due to doing a lot more pizza cooks.  Both of these cracked after having the egg for right at 5 yrs. I have only replaced the felt seal just once (about a year ago) and the new one is showing signs of needing to be replaced, again, probably due to the 500+ steak cooks and 6-700 pizza cooks.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The only thing not cracked on my large right now is the fire ring. Just use it until you cant, then swap in the new parts. 

My new style firebox with the slit is cracked all around the bowl and to all the vent holes. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I have no idea how my firebox got cracked.  Roughly two months ago I was cooking a pizza at 600 degrees and I heard a crack.  Looked the next day and my plate setter had a crack right down the center.  Got a new one of those also!  Im on my third platesetter.  The first one I made a rookie mistake and used pot holders to handle the hot platesetter and dropped the damn thing.
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    hapster said:

The only real reason for me... I'm lazy most of the time and didn't want to have to put down my drink or cigar to go get the damn thing
    It's only a pretty superficial crack.  I also have one in my base that was replaced with the replacement still in the box.  I'm figuring if I hold out long enough, I may have an entirely new egg just with replacement parts :)
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX