Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef jerky, CUT, TIME ??????????????????

Options
Pick
Pick Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a Grad party to go to, would love to surprise everyone with some beef jerky, HOW LONG?, WHAT TEMP? AND WHAT CUT SHOULD I BUY?, Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance Later Jason

Comments

• Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 27
    Options
    Pick,
    I haven't had the chance to try it on the egg yet but when I use my dehydrater I buy eye of the round and cut it into 1/8 thick strips. It cooks for 4-6 hours at 160. I don't know how that translates to the egg though. While looking into the method a while back I do remember reading that many folks egg for a couple hours to get the smoke flavor and then dehydrate to finish off.[p]Good luck and please post the results!

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Pick,
    I just made my first batch of Jerky the other day, so by no means am I an expert. I will say it's the best Jerky I've ever had and can't stop snackiing on it. Here's my experience: Use Round, Flank or Brisket. Trim all fat off then slice into about 1/4" pieces. There is some controversy about whether to slice WITH the grain, or AGAINST. My research finds that most people go AGAINST, as the Jerky will be a hell of a lot less 'chewy'. Marinate in Frige 24 hrs, then spread on a rack and I used the Oven as the recipe calls for about 170° and I didn't think I could get the Egg that low and keep it going. In fact my Oven's lowest setting is 170 but a thermometer read it at about 190°. After about three hours I turned over the Jerky and rotated the Racks, for about another three hrs. I have three Racks of which I had bought from Cabela's. TIP: The meat will drip for a while so have a good Pan, or Foil underneath. Good luck, CJ[p]I can't e-mail at this time as my ISP is a screwed up, but if you type in Beef Jerky on Google you can get plenty of recipes for the marinade. Also...a meat slicer is one hell of an advantage!! Good luck.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    CJ, Next time, try this method to keep your Egg cool, then finish your jerky in the oven at 155. I do the same, but I finish mine in a dehydrator:[p]Cold smoking on the egg

I'm using this to smoke anything @ low temps. Take a 2-3 pound coffee can and cut the top and bottom out. Clean out the egg. Set the can on top of the grid where the ashes fall through. Fill the can about 1/2 way with lump. Light the lump and let it get going. Open the bottom vent all the way. This will keep your fire from going out! Close the daisy wheel nearly completely, but enough to breathe.(I use Mickey T's #1 temp ring, but that's probably not critical) Add chunks, then a cool plate setter and food to be smoked. When you close the Egg, your temps should be very low and will creep up slowly if you keep it shut. If temps get too hot, move your jerky to a dehydrator to finish, or open up the egg, and let it cool and start again. You may have to add lump if you go a long time, but adding lump lets the egg cool down while it is open. I love this method.

[p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Pick, I like eye of round. Read my post below as well.

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Borders ,
    Thanks for the input....sounds neat!! I wonder if putting the charcoal chimney starter in would work as well as the coffee can? I haven't checked the height for clearance yet?
    CJ

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    Pick,
    Yeah....I made the marinade mixture very nice with many ingredients and sauces..that , in my opinion, makes it really good.
    I'd say smoke it low as you can for at least an hour or two..then just a food dehydrator overnight..you can get a cheap Ronco for like 10 or 15 bucks ..this I think is important for the texture.

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Borders ,
    aha! the coffee can trick lives on![p]I can't see the paint on mine anymore, and I'll bet
    this summer I'm going to burn it through. Still works
    like a champ, though.[p]HS