Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing hinge and hit snag at step 1, please advise

Options
Greetings-

I am attempting to replace the hinge/band on my LBGE. I have looked at what others have posted and so I started by trying to put the white plastic braces on the hinge before loosening the screws and... they don't fit over any two screws. The picture shows where I think they go based on the assembly video from BGE but the screws are about 1/2" too far apart to fit in the holes of the plastic piece. Am I going for the wrong two screws or is it so out of whack that it won't work? Any help/instruction/correction would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You can just zip tie it shut

i didnt even bother, to be honest. Just gotta be careful of the spring when the weight is off it
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    So put zip ties parallel to the top two screws/perpendicular to the ground?
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    Open lid. Be care it doesnt slam shut and Take springs off hinge. Loosen nuts that hold hinge to band. Manipulate hinge to neutral position. Place white clips on hinge. good to go. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    in your picture, is the lid open or closed?  I can't tell.
    I think the lid is supposed to be closed when you put the white retainers on.

But as mine came pre-assembled, I could be completely wrong.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Mine wouldn't fit either. No clue what happened. Just use the zip tie route.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
     this is simple. The whole idea is to keep the hinge closed. So zip tie the hinge closed
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]