Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broke my platesetter

Options
Hey guys

I broke my large size platesetter clean in half so I'm looking to get back into an indirect cooking setup as cheaply as possible.  I do use a PSwoo, so I don't necessarily need the legs of the plate setter, could I get away with a ceramic stone?  Any idea what size would fit on the tabs on the woo originally intended for the three points of the bge platesetter?  I do often pull the whole PSwoo rig while cooking so would need something pretty stable.

thanks!!

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I am just guessing by your username that you are a fan of The Prodigy? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Depending on which Woo you have, you should be able just to use a ceramic stone, just measure how big you need.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-rings/
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    For many years I used ceramic floor tiles stacked on the grid. They work just a well. I used 12 in and 6 in tiles. One would crack every year or so. But they were so inexpensive it didn't matter.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    If you want to continue to use the PSwoo2 email Tom at CGS.  They have a braces set-up to enable you to then use one of their stones on the PSWoo.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Look on this page for a "PSWoo Platform":

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-rings/

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokeMyBitchUp
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap and @Jeepster47 I did get the bracket and ceramic stone from cgs, worked great I did a test run on a thanksgiving turkey that went great...... But not nearly as great as my boys getting they last second win in Ann arbor tonight!!
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Seems like the bracket mentioned above may enable you to use your broken plate setter on the woo again
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Options
    You can glue the platesetter back together with JB Weld. Costs prob $5. 
    Chester County, PA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Issue with JB Weld is that J-B Weld can withstand temperatures up to 550ºF when fully cured. Plate setter will be exposed to temps well beyond that.  It will hold the plate setter together, but don't expect it to last.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Don't most people use platesetter for low'ish temp cooking? I glued mine back with J B weld and it has been perfect. probably stronger than it was originally.  Can't think of a single cook where I have used platesetter at temps greater than 350-400 range. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Don't most people use platesetter for low'ish temp cooking? I glued mine back with J B weld and it has been perfect. probably stronger than it was originally.  Can't think of a single cook where I have used platesetter at temps greater than 350-400 range. 

I use my platesetter for pizza which I do at about 650 degrees.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    etherdome said:
    When you say 350-400, are you referring to dome temp? If so, the temp the platesetter is exposed to is much much higher than that. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had my egg at 340 degrees for one hour while cooking wings.  When I was done cooking the plate setter measured (with a Fluke IR instrument) 540 degrees ... and that's the top surface.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    etherdome said:

I use my platesetter for pizza which I do at about 650 degrees.  
    Yes. Pizza. always use the PS
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    J-B Weld will absolutely work...I broke my platesetter three years ago, used J-B Weld to repair and have done clean burns up, pizza cooks, you name it and that platesetter is still humming with that J-B holding it together.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    EagleIII said:
    J-B Weld will absolutely work...I broke my platesetter three years ago, used J-B Weld to repair and have done clean burns up, pizza cooks, you name it and that platesetter is still humming with that J-B holding it together.
    =Cancer, but we will all get it anyways!
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    My PS has had a crack for more than 3 years now....when it breaks...I'm going to encase it in steel plates (1/8") and continue on....
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Options
    EagleIII said:
    5 years for mine. 
    Chester County, PA