Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Chili for competition?

Options
I will be entered into a chili cook off here at the firehouse this weekend on base. I am in south carolina and would like the opinions of the best recipe to use sat am for the presentation.. any insight would be helpful... 

I'm nervous and it only lands bragging rights but I'm against all teams from the base and another team that is self proclaimed chefs here at work.. i was thinking cow lick chili and starting it friday night and let it stew into sat am and reheating it for comp...any thoughts?

brisket chili was second choice but the extra work and i only have 3hrs of leave granted for going home friday night to smoke it.. also wood chunks... and how much?

Thanks crew
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    You need rules. Beans or no beans. I would do a bowl of red. No beans
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've done just a couple competitions, and here's my take.  Make the best chili you can for your taste.  If you win, great; if you don't, who cares?  The competition itself is just FUN, and there will always be a few samplers who love your stuff.  
    Like photography contests (which I've also given up) the winner is based on someone else's opinion.  Do what YOU like, and let the chips fall where they may.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• BamaFanInArky
    BamaFanInArky Posts: 30
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Google Cow Lickin' chili.   Don't use any of the peppers... It's hot enough without them.  Get a 12in cast iron Dutch oven and be sure to cook/present/serve in that.  Smoke the meat and chili without lid the entire time.  Modify to your tastes.   I have yet to not win with this recipe (of course, they were only office comps).    Profit.   
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You can put chili in beans, you can't put beans in chili.

I've got a recipe I like written down somewhere, but it's never won any competitions. Look on the internet for champion Terlingua chili recipes. They have all the winner's recipes for like the last 20 years listed. Find one that sounds good and try it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited October 2015
    Options
    for a comp outside of texas it needs beans =)  for my own tastes i like no beans but have to deal with all the no bean complaints. the cowlick recipe is good, go with kidney over pinto and sub out some diced tomato for some half cut stewed tomatoes(the diced seem to dissolve too much. if you can grind your own use a 3/8 plate, store bought burger is over ground for chili
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You have to know the judges and what's allowed. I did the brisket fanatic chili posted above and got 3rd place in our neighborhood cook off. I turned in just chili and others turned in loaded chili with Fritos, sour cream, cheese etc so make sure you know what you can do. The cow lick and brisket fanatic chili are both good but the cowlick costs under half to make due to the brisket required in the brisket fanatic.
  • double_ds
    Options
    I have used this the past two years, i switch it up just a bit with the meat but has gotten me first and second out of about 30 entries.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1133628/cow-lickin-chilli/p1

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

The brisket fanatic salado chili is sooo delicious. 

you can easily break it up into smaller steps.  I subbed out the brisket for a cheaper cut of beef and smoked that ahead of time.  I also made the vegetable/wine part of it ahead of time.  On the day of the party all of the canned tomato stuff, V-8, chopped up beef, and the vegetable mix can be thrown into a crock pot say 6 hours ahead of time and left to simmer until you're ready.  it's a little spicy though so you may want to cut the spiciness down depending on your crowd.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Options
    NO BEANS  THAT IS CHILI AND BEANS,,,
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I always take these moments to do something creative.  There isn't a "best" for this.  It comes down to the judges tastes really and the rules.  

This is me here, but, I'd go with a southwest flavor, three bean (kidney bean, black bean, and great northern bean), chicken chili.  

Roast some Romas, jalapenos, onions, and bell pepper on the Egg as well as some split breast.  I'd do some split breast on Egg, and boil for some good stock.  Add some green chilies too.  

Seasonings would be good chicken stock (homemade if possible), cumin, coriander, oregano, fresh garlic, cumin, Cayenne, and some cilantro for the end.  

I'd finish it with a lime, roasted tomato crema.  

Make some homemade tortilla strips by cutting some tortillas and fry them.  Make a nice dusting to apply out of the fryer.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Chili is a lot like BBQ - I can tell you what Texans want to eat and will call good but I couldn't tell you what people in South Carolina think is good chili.  What I can tell you is that fresh chili powder makes a much better chili than 1 year old chili powder.  Mild Bill's is a good website for chili powder's and ingredients but I guess it's too late for them if you have to make it this weekend.  They do have award winning chili recipes on there too if you want to browse through them.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • double_ds
    Options
    another thing i like to do is roast some fresh tomatoes on the egg then put them in the blender, a lot better then using canned tomatoes.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you were up here i would go with lobster and bean chli with a dollop of creme fraiche =)  how untexan is that

DSC_0288jpg

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    galen said:
    theres chili....and chili without beans =)
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    if you were up here i would go with lobster and bean chli with a dollop of creme fraiche =)  how untexan is that

DSC_0288jpg

• fishlessman
    Options

DSC_0288jpg

how bout over spaghetti =)

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i know i ruined this one, bowl of red =)

with candied jalapenos  =)

fukahwee maine

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    We won people choice in our last local competition.  Their were several great tasting chilis submitted.  The difference maker for ours was we used a 2/3 beef, 1/3 pork.  Of course it was all cubed instead of being grounded.  When it was almost ready, we added a can of bean dip.  Turns the juice more into a thin gravy.  The texture and appearance of ours was what set it apart and won the award (in addition to a great taste and mild spice.)  

We thought about making the brisket chili, but there was  a rule of no pre-cooked meat.   
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    what about cooking tonight and let cool and fridge until am then reheat? better when flavors get infused?
    Beaufort, SC
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    galen said:
    theres chili....and chili without beans =)
    Nah, there's chili and then there's bean soup.  You can make bean soup if you want but don't call it chili :)
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Options
    I enjoy Chili and Beans.  But when you are in a real Chili Cookoff.  NO BEANS
    Chili, always interesting .  I have been a Judge at a few as well as winning several State title and cooking at two World Championships put on by the International Chili Society

If you want to start a discussion or fight.  Just say "Chili"
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    so i used cowlick recipe and tweeted it a bit.. and smoked the competition hahaha... easy win and thx for the help all
    Beaufort, SC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    No beans
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's NOT my recipe its @EggObsessed recipe

Sorry for any confusion

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Isn't it just a sloppy joe without beans?
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    No beans
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't understand the debate over beans. I grew up with beans, but chili without is every bit as good. Hard to pick a favorite! I LOVE Cindy Reed's Terlingua winning chili (scratch recipe, thanks Hotch!), but the third or fourth time I made it, I added some kidney beans and onions... EXCELLENT either way!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut