Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Broken Plate Setter and Woo2 advice please?

OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum

Broke the plate setter for my XL. Herd the Woo2 and my BGE pizza stone was a nice alternative to buying a new plate setter.  Will this set-up work?  If not what does? I'd prefer to not buy the BGE plate setter again because of the price and design.   Any thoughts would be appreciated.   And please no JB weld suggestions.  That stuff just doesn't work.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    The Woo setup is great, quality built stuff.
    XL times 2
  • Never tried it but I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as your stone is a large enough diameter.  My concern would be that the pizza stone isn't as thick as the plate setter and you're gonna end up cracking the pizza stone.  I've heard of cast iron plate setters - not sure if they make one for the XL or where the best place to buy one would be.  Maybe someone who has a cast iron one can chime in about positives/negatives and where to buy it.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    The PS is under Warrantied for 3 years.  If it broke during a cook you should be able to get it replaced.  My PS had a crack in it a few months back and my dealer got it replaced.  The new one is in a box in my garage waiting for the old to break.

Now I would like the AR/Woo2 combo myself for the XL.   It's a better deal together and you can do a lot with the combo.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • I have the Woo2 and a couple of their 19" half circle stones. Gives me a lot more versatility. I can cook indirect on 1/2 of the XL, and direct on the other half at the same time.   I use both half circle stones on the Woo with the BGE 21" pizza stone at the top for a pizza cook.  Works great and toppings get done before crust gets dark.
  • I'm with listtlerascal56 on this one.  The Woo2 is awesome.  Very versatile.  My PS is, and has, sat unused since it was new.  For me, the PS was a total waste of money.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm with listtlerascal56 on this one.  The Woo2 is awesome.  Very versatile.  My PS is, and has, sat unused since it was new.  For me, the PS was a total waste of money.
    I understand the PS dilemma and it's lack of use with the equipment you are using from Ceramic Grill Store. I have several of Tom's Rigs, Woos and Rings. All are top notch.
    I took one of XL PS stones that had a broken leg and cut all the legs off to make a tri shaped pizza stone and indirect piece. Works great. 
    You could also dedicate it for clean cooks such as baking or dutch oven cooking. Another thought would be to ask your local dealer if you could trade it back for store credit since it's unused.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Question on the AR. Will it work with the original XL Woo?
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    I also broke my PS for Xl,  already had the Woo2 because I like to cook at the to top so just picked up he pizza stone from the Ceramic Grill Store works great. You might check out turbostream.net the have a heat diffuser that looks real good. 
  • Photo Egg
    volfan1 said:
    Why would you have a need to use the XL Woo with the AR?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:
    volfan1 said:

I have used this combo for cold smoking cheese and jerky. Multiple grids high in dome further away from heat source. Would probably work for mass quantities of wings raised direct, but I have not tried that.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Photo Egg said:
    volfan1 said:
    What's the difference between the XL Woo and XL Woo2?  I see on CGS site they use the Woo2 with the AR, which is why I want it and to do wok cooking.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg said:
    volfan1 said:
    What's the difference between the XL Woo and XL Woo2?  I see on CGS site they use the Woo2 with the AR, which is why I want it and to do wok cooking.
    Looks like a nice upgrade...

"The XL Woo2 still offers a raised grid set-up like the original XL Woo, plus the new addition, an XL Spider style lower ring.  The platesetter notches in the XL fire ring make the drop down, lower ring a worthwhile upgrade.  Also, we beefed up the stainless rod to insure the XL Woo2 can sufficiently span the fire ring and handle the temperatures, since it is so close to the burning lump."

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg

Photo Egg said:
    volfan1 said:

I have used this combo for cold smoking cheese and jerky. Multiple grids high in dome further away from heat source. Would probably work for mass quantities of wings raised direct, but I have not tried that.
    Sounds good...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ladeback69
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    volfan1 said:

"The XL Woo2 still offers a raised grid set-up like the original XL Woo, plus the new addition, an XL Spider style lower ring.  The platesetter notches in the XL fire ring make the drop down, lower ring a worthwhile upgrade.  Also, we beefed up the stainless rod to insure the XL Woo2 can sufficiently span the fire ring and handle the temperatures, since it is so close to the burning lump."
    @Photo Egg, so you can use the AR with the PS on the XL?  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    volfan1 said:

@Photo Egg, so you can use the AR with the PS on the XL?  
    Yes, PS will work with AR on XL.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas