Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Chiminea

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Those of you who have one, do you keep a layer of sand in the bottom for insulation?
I just bought mine and was wondering if it's needed.
Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Wardster,
    The folks at BGE told me it was not necessary....I keep an inch or 2 in there anyway. There is still plenty of room for firewood, and I figured better safe than sorry. You will enjoy the chimenea, just dont expect massive heat from it all the way around, you will get noticeably more heat out of the opening. You probably already saw them, but there are some pics of mine in the tips section of my website...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I used the sand in mine. Paid $3.00 for a bag of it at Lowes. I can't tell you if it a necessity, but it raised the level of the fire up so the bottom of the fire was more even with the front opening. This allows the the coals to be more visible from the front when the fire is in the late stage and no longer flaming.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Um, Billy? You do know that you live is south Florida, and that it is waaay past time to use anything that produces more heat? Just kidding, we have one too. I don't have sand in mine.[p]BTW, the restaurant that you suggested the other night was closed...bummer. We ended up at a so-so Italian place in ZephyrHills.[p]See ya.[p]Larry
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Larry,
    I was afraid of that. Too bad because that is some goooood food there.
    Yes, the heat it here. I was in ATL this week, driving, and decided to go ahead and buy one. Now I'm not the type to buy something and let it sit there, unused for months. I'm glad Wess said there is not much heat because we don't really need it.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Wardster,
    I don’t know about sand in the bottom as it is made out of the same material as the BGE. A layer of ash would work about the same.[p]However, I did go to Home Depot and get a twelve inch cast iron floor drain cover with feet. It fits perfect in the bottom of the Chiminea and it raises the fire to a perfect level and allows airflow under the fire. I think that it only costs around $12.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Wardster, I like RhumandJerk's idea. I started out w/sand, and now it's a combo of sand and ash. By the way, I like burning hickory and mesquite chunks in mine. If you buy it right, it's cheaper than buying firewood, and builds a great smelling fire. Have fun, Scott

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I'm still trying to figure out why to get one.
    Is this really better than a campfire? Other than
    that you can have it on your deck?[p]HS

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    HolySmokes, Do many people up there have chimneas of any kind? Florida is full of them. It's not better than a campfire, or really even as good as a campfire. It's just a convenient way to play with fire when you don't have a pit or something else. As you know, we MUST play with fire!
    Have a good weekend bro,
    Scott

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Borders , hey dude. [p]For outside around here most people here have some kind
    of brick fireplace or copper/other bowl-thing for deck
    fires. I, however, have the fireplace inside and when
    we're at the property, a big iron fire-ring to have
    'safe' outdoor fires. I think the claything is a
    good-looking alternative to the copper 'firering' that
    is common here, since I don't have something on our deck.
    HS[p]