Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you do with your ashes?

Options
What do yall do with your ashes when you clean your egg out? Are they good for anything? I thought about putting the ashes on some plants in the yard but wasn't sure about that possibly hurting something.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I use the ash tool and sweep them into an old lump bag. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    Dry rub  =)

Strongsville, OH

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Home Depot 5gal bucket lined with a trash bag. 
  • leemschu
    Options
    But do you just throw it out with normal trash?
    Dyersburg, TN
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I suck them into the shop-vac bag. When it's full I throw it out with the trash.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Ash is used as a soil amendment. It will help raise pH levels. It is very useful to add to a compost pile, which tend to get acidic over time.  Not good to use around acid loving plants, but fine for most plants. Better to work it into compost or soil rather than directly onto plants. It also has some nutrient value (Phosphorus, potassium, calcium).  Works well in vegetable gardens - Tomatoes are said to especially love it. Potatoes do not.

Just for clarification, I am talking about ash from lump.  Briquette ash is another story. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my yards covered with pine trees, very acidic soil, wood ash is good for it. if you want to throw it out with the trash, i would, i toss out maybe two 55 gallon drums of coal ash in with the regular trash heating my house every winter, i mix it in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I toss mine in the back yard in the natural area that doesn't get foot traffic.  I guess I'll add it to the compost pile now.

Would it help grow grass in areas of the yard that need help?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Spread on the garden and plants.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    You can put them in the garden or use them for composting.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    500 said:
    I toss mine in the back yard in the natural area that doesn't get foot traffic.  I guess I'll add it to the compost pile now.

Would it help grow grass in areas of the yard that need help?
    I currently throw mine in the woods behind the house, but I'd like to know this as well. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    metal bucket till its full then in the trash.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Toss them in a 30 gallon metal trash-can along with the ashes from my coal stove. Take it to the dump when full. $5.00 to dump. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I've been saving it up to use as a de icer this winter. 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I spread it over the garden and grass, especially where dogs that pass by pee as it balances the PH levels and my grass does not go yellow, and die!
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Some great ideas...if you spread it on already yellow pee spots will it help?  

I just dump mine in the woods.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• UncleFred
    Options
    I generally have my wife haul my ashes... :rofl: 
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    The charcoal fines or powder are even better for this as they are extremely porous (providing a habitat for microbial).  The pH of our fines are usually 8.0-8.5.  They're not as fast acting as the ash, but after time they do a lot more.

I believe the ash pH is lower than charcoal.....more neutral range so you're supposed to be more attentive to what your soil is at as it could raise or lower depending on the starting point.

Briquette ash and/or coal fly ash is a totally different story--no telling were that stuff.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    When my Lowes bucket is full of ash it either goes over the back fence into the woods or to fill in holes that critters have dug in my yard.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    The charcoal fines or powder are even better for this as they are extremely porous (providing a habitat for microbial).  The pH of our fines are usually 8.0-8.5.  They're not as fast acting as the ash, but after time they do a lot more.

I believe the ash pH is lower than charcoal.....more neutral range so you're supposed to be more attentive to what your soil is at as it could raise or lower depending on the starting point.

Briquette ash and/or coal fly ash is a totally different story--no telling were that stuff.

charcoal fines or powder are more fun =)
    • 75% saltpeter (5 parts)
    • 15% charcoal (1 part)
    • 10% sulfur (2/3 of 1 part)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

charcoal fines or powder are more fun =)
    • 75% saltpeter (5 parts)
    • 15% charcoal (1 part)
    • 10% sulfur (2/3 of 1 part)

Funny you should mention that......I sold several thousand pounds to the US Army last year.  They ground it up and used it in munitions.  I did not get any samples.  :(
  • gerhardk
    Options
    I just toss it on the lawn and the mower does a good job of distributing it.

Gerhard
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    I generally have my wife haul my ashes... :rofl: 

Flint, Michigan
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I mix them in with my father in laws ashes (passed away earlier in the year). Boy want the family be surprised when they go to spread them at the beach this fall.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • swordsmn
    Options
    GuitarEC said:
    I bought an urn at a crematorium, and will periodically dress in all black and go to a random park and spread them while softly weeping.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.

Spread them near a Royal Oak  singing "Rock(wood) of Ages"...

Then I'll play taps

(you see why I call @GuitarEC my Smart A$$ Son in Law (SASIL)  )

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @swordsmn ... yea, but he did make me laugh.  Maybe I have a sick sense of humor, but that did tickle my funny bone.  I hope the urn is green ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Some great ideas...if you spread it on already yellow pee spots will it help?  

I just dump mine in the woods.  

I am not sure, as I cant tell if the pee was yellow!

The yellow grass though, yeah it does help over time. Wont be an overnight thing but you will get green grass again within a month or so.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ