Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood on Backorder

Options
bob.bud
bob.bud Posts: 297
edited September 2015 in Off Topic
I ordered 5 bags of Rockwood from Firecraft on 9/12 and received a backorder notification yesterday (9/14) indicating that they expected to have stock to fill my order on 9/28.

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great. And I'm out. Was trying to wait till Friday to make an order. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Sorry, I must of got the last bags. Placed my order on 9/10 and it shipped 9/11. Scheduled to arrive Thursday. Waiting on a backorder sucks 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Hmmmmm......on it.  Will check on it tomorrow.
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Ordered 6 bags, estimated in stock date is October 1st. I have enough in my bunker to hold me, but it will be cutting it close. Yikes!!!
    Rick in Tampa
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I'm out.  Heading to Ace this afternoon.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Something got screwed up in their PO system..... we have charcoal already enroute.

Their system gives us two weeks from the date of the PO, so two weeks from yesterday was Oct 1.  It will be there long before that. 
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I got in just in time, got two bags last week. 

I do have a question though.

I usually use Fogo, from Amazon, and I have been happy.  They raised the price of the 35# bad by about $10, so I figured I would give Rockwood a try after reading about it on here.

Haven't used it yet, but did open one of the bags.  Most of the pieces are long and flat, looks like broken fence pickets basically.  Was real surprised, I am used to baseball and softball size pieces from Fogo.

Not only will they be hard to pile, but I would imagine would burn a lot quicker due to being very thin and having a lot of surface area.

I have not looked at the second bag, but is my first bag usual for Rockwood?  I will use both bags before I form an opinion on them, but first impression was not good.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    Options
    Out??? That blasphemy! I get the jitters when I drop below a half dozen bags. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    My life has been upside down lately and haven't thought to look.....I'm ashamed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    jak7028 said:

Not only will they be hard to pile, but I would imagine would burn a lot quicker due to being very thin and having a lot of surface area.

In an unlimited air supply situation, yes the surface area would lead to faster burning. Under controlled air flow conditions, the size of the fire is limited to how much air you let into the egg and the surface area is not that important.  If you control the temp, you are controlling the size of the fire, which means you are controlling how fast the charcoal is consumed.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    jak7028 said:

I usually use Fogo, from Amazon, and I have been happy.  They raised the price of the 35# bad by about $10, so I figured I would give Rockwood a try after reading about it on here.

Fogo was $51/35# last I checked.  I'm a lump snob, but I won't even pay that much.

You will love Rockwood, despite your first impressions.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @jtcBoynton <=what he said
    Options
    Unloaded my truck last night, have been hauling around a dozen 40 pound bags of Mesquite for 2 months now... 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Those long, skinny pieces are great for stacking on the bottom of the firebox to bridge the holes in the iron disk.  Keeps the small chips from fouling the holes and limiting airflow.  I love those pieces for building my lump stack in the firebox.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    edited September 2015
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    jak7028 said:

Fogo was $51/35# last I checked.  I'm a lump snob, but I won't even pay that much.

You will love Rockwood, despite your first impressions.
    I agree on the current price of Fogo being too high.  When I started buying it about a year ago, it was about $35 for the 35# bag, and free shipping.  Amazon prices always fluctuate, but that is about a 35% increase.

JTC - thanks for that explanation, that makes sense on controlling the burning.  Hopefully also, I just got a bad bag.  I could see some pieces like what I got mixed in, just not 75% of the bag.  

Also, in shipping, i know the pieces break up some, and you end up with dust/fragments in the bottom.  Seems like there was a lot in this specific bag.  Not sure if it was due to rough shipping or the kind of pieces it was were more prone to breaking and chipping apart.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I need to reorder as well. I am glad Firecraft will have it when I do. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Dang, @stlcharcoal.....  Great shot of the yard!  That's be a fun yard to take some photos for backgrounds, screensavers, etc....  Yes, I'm a camera nerd, too!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @stlcharcoal, its great having on the forum Jonathan.  Love the lump.  A at KC BBQ Source far me this a few months back.  It's on the back of my truck window.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    The truck showing halfway between Columbus and Pittsburg on I-70.....hammer is down, good buddy.  They'll have those backorders shipped soon.  Thanks and sorry for the delay.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Good to know that when I send my in-laws to Firecraft next week, they will have it in stock. =)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Don't all you people know that RW sparks like fireworks and is full of unusable fines???

Just kidding  =). You'll be happy you got it!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I've read enough about this so called RW being the best. Well I just placed a order for a bag and a couple bags of oak. Guess when I get it I will finally be able to voice my opinion about it. =)
  • bob.bud
    Options
    Finally, an update. 

This afternoon I received a text alert that my credit card was charged for the 5 bags of lump I ordered on 9/15.

Tonight, an email from FedEx indicating that my lump will be delivered this Wednesday.

Wednesday is turning out to be a nice delivery day with these items due:

1. Lump is delivered
    2. Permatex Ultra Copper from Amazon for my Rutland install
    3. Burr coffee grinder to get a more consistent grind on my coffee beans

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    Options
    The truck showing halfway between Columbus and Pittsburg on I-70.....hammer is down, good buddy.  They'll have those backorders shipped soon.  Thanks and sorry for the delay.

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    I got RO at Wal-Mart Saturday. An 8# bag for $6.75, they had plenty. 
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Sorry, I must of got the last bags. Placed my order on 9/10 and it shipped 9/11. Scheduled to arrive Thursday. Waiting on a backorder sucks 

I ordered 5 bags on 9/11.  I am right between you and @bob.bud.  Got mine last week.  Sorry bob!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options

I still have one of those license plates from my 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    bo31210 said:

I still have one of those license plates from my 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme!
    Man, I wanted one of those cars so bad when I was 13, but settled for a 77 Grand Prix when I turned 16.  Could of had a 79 Camaro Rally Sport with a 350 and a 4 speed, but my step dad said you aren't getting that car.  My comment was, I have the money and said that didn't matter.  Still got in trouble with the Grand Prix.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bob.bud
    Options
    100 pounds of lump arrived safe and sound. Never will I be caught short again.