Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to do first Butt, a quick couple of Q's

Options
rmercier
rmercier Posts: 212
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
So, I am am prepping my butt for a cook for the Skins game on Sunday (please no jokes). 

I have a 7.81 lb butt. First do you recommend wrapping in foil at any point in the cook? Flaming rooster wraps his after about 6 hours. Second, the game starts at 1 on Sunday, so....should I cook the day before, shred, cover and slowly reheat the next day? Or attempt my first overnight cook, starting about 10pm and let cook and hope it's done on time?

Prepping with my fave hot sauce....Gator Hammock Hot Sauce. I also made my own rub to rub on before egging

LBGE in Northern VA

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I don't like wrapping, personally.  

I'd get up early or throw it on the night before so it would be fresh.  You can allow for a couple hours rest too (FTC, oven, microwave) so you will not be stressed.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • rmercier
    Options
    Yeah. I think I'll do an overnighter
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No need to wrap. The egg will keep it super tender. I can see wrapping it with other smokers but no need with the egg. I use to inject my butts with apple juice on my old smoker to keep tender but the egg keeps it moist without injecting/wrapping  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

you certainly could do an overnighter starting at 10 PM.  I'd start the egg by 8 and get the whole setup (platesetter, water pan, anything you're using except the butt) stabilized at 240-250.  Throw the butt on at 10, check it a few hours later.  I'd aim to have it done by 10 AM, so if at 7 or 8 you're running behind, you can crank the temperature to 275-300.  (Be careful of higher temps if there's sugar in your sauce.  Burnt sugar sucks.)  Somewhere in the 195-200 range it will get really tender.  I only wrap larger butts that I need to hurry along, like a 10 pounder that I want to finish in < 8 hours.

Then take it off, FTC, and pull when ready to eat.  I think pork butt does well with resting a few hours before pulling.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • luckyboy
    Options
    I would get up about 5 am, by the time you get cup of coffee and the eggs gets to temp. and you get the meat on it will about 6 and that should  give 7 hours to cook the way you like.you can always take a power nap mid morning.
    wrapping or not to wrap, thats is up to you, you may like that way and you may not, one day you'll have to do it so you'll know for sure if you like it or not.
    Good lucky to you. 
  • 82c52ksl
    82c52ksl Posts: 19
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just remember the stall.  If you're not familiar with it, it can drive you crazy.  I did a 7 pounder last week.  Meat on at 11pm @ 220.  Finally got done at 8pm the next day.  21 hours.  I was stuck between 160-170 for 6 hours.  I ended up messing with it.  Still came out great, but probably could have come out better had i not started playing with the temp, wrapping, unwrapping etc.... 

Put it in, set the temp, set your probes, let it go.  

Good luck.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I just finished an overnighter.  Two butts #18 combined. 225' raised direct. On @5:30pm Off @10:00am. Rest on counter tented with foil/covered with thick towel. I just uncovered ready to pull but it is still too hot to handle with my bare hands. The only variable I have ever encountered is the stall which to me is just an opportunity to have plenty of apps for my guests. 
    IL 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    You can foil - towel - cooler for additional 4+ hours if you start earlier in the night and for any major stalls.  Pulled pork is super easy once down. Just plan on 1.5 - 2 hours per pound 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BigSmoooke
    Options

I will be doing the exact same thing. My game plan is to get up to a stable 250 temp and load the butt no earlier than 10pm on Saturday night. Pull the next morning at around 11:15am (estimated time) when the IT reaches between 195 - 200 (probe for tenderness) and FTC until game time. Time will obviously vary depending on the lbs. I did just pick up a Maverick ET 733 to monitor temps overnight for a little more piece of mind

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @bigsmoooke good call on the maverick.  just don't set your range on the grill probe too tight or you'll drive yourself nuts!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • rmercier
    Options
    Thanks guys. I also have a maverick...good call on setting the range, I'd probably get no sleep with that **** beeping all night
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I raise my glass to a successful and wonderful cook, @rmercier:)

I'm cooking a butt on Sunday. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS