Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

48 hour sous vide chuck roast

I plan on taking it out tonight but not sure what to expect. I put it in frozen day before yesterday, let it go at 135 for a couple hours then took it back out and seared since I was told that it would fall apart if I tried to sear at the end. Put it back in and it's been about 45 hours so far at 135*   Has anyone done this before? I was thinking about picking up some ciabatta buns, provolone and horseradish for sandwiches but I'm open to any other suggestions or ideas. 
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't think it would fall apart at 135F @ 45 hours.  Takes a long time for tough beef at 135F.  You can pull it out and squeeze the meat through the bag and get a feeling for how tender it is.  Then put it in longer and maybe increase the temp if you are restricted with time.  I bet it would be good sliced or chopped even if it's not falling apart.

The age of the animal can make a huge difference in how long it takes to break down the connective tissue.  I find in general beef takes longer than pork, which takes longer than turkey, which takes longer than chicken. 

Save that juice - you can make a nice gravy or use it as a base in something else.
    Save that juice - you can make a nice gravy or use it as a base in something else.
    I did not have much success with juices from sous vide cooking.   What do you do with it?

It should be good!

• I've done chuck roast for 56 hours at 135, then removed from pouch, patted dry, and then seared in a CI skillet on the egg. at that point its good for sandwiches, or I've made a pot roast with vegetables/gravy, then cube up the meat and add just before serving. good either way.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    thanks guys. I'll check in in a bit. I may go longer so I can do pulled beef
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I would think you need to bump temp if you want pulled beef. "for traditional results (e.g. well done) " they recommend 160 degrees, but say no problem going 131-140 degrees, it will be tender, just not "traditional". I guess traditional means pulled/flaky well done.. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    I did one at 135 for 72 hours and it was more pot-roasty than I would have liked. It did stay together enough to sear it at the end though, just for future reference. 
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • jls9595
    edited September 2015
    I wonder how it would do, if it's not tender enough to pull, if I threw it on the egg now at like 350 or so? Maybe finish it up like the pepper stout beef recipe?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    edited September 2015
    I ended up doing a shortened version of "pepper stout beef." Turned out good, probably more tender than usual. Removed from sous vide (135*) after 50 hours and put into pan with vidalia onions, green peppers, garlic and beer. Cooked on the Egg covered for an hour and a half at 350* (cooked while I mowed). Temp was at 195*, pulled and cooked another 90 min uncovered to reduce liquid. Also had twice baked potatoes. 

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    That looks terrific.  Nice job.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• :) Looks good. But I could not do a 2  or 3 day cook-- might forget it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks delicious.   As my pappy once told me, it's not how you get there, it's how where you get.   Unless getting there is more interesting than where ya at.  Oh never mind.
    Stellar. I would slam that real quick. The nobody heard talking, jaw jamming kind of eating.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.