Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories

Options
I'm new to the BGE but not to cooking and smoked meats. I just purchased a BGE XL and would like to know what Eggcessories are tops on yall's list. Thanks

Comments

• pipermaru9
    Options
    Kick Ash Basket, convEGGtor (plate setter) are my top 2.......
    Gallant, Alabama      Medium and XL

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Plate Setter, Thermopen/ThermoPop, Dual Temp Gauge, Welding Gloves, GrillGrates, Raised Grid, Pizza Stone, Deep Dish Pizza Stone, Food Loops and CI Skillet that I can think of.  Here is what food loops are.

http://www.thefoodloop.com/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Thermopen and a weed burner.  Everything else is so far down the list as to be negotiable. Second grid and a pizza stone for indirect. Bolts for the first grid get me permanently at the felt line. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Forget the Platesetter (convEGGtor) get an adjustable rig.... I also like the smokeware cap 
  • KingRanch450
    Options
    Thanks for the comments....I have a lot of the suggestions already...thermapen, weed burner, plate setter. I'm thinking about the raised grid, firebox reducer....Can you flip the plate setter over and use it for a pizza stone?
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for the comments....I have a lot of the suggestions already...thermapen, weed burner, plate setter. I'm thinking about the raised grid, firebox reducer....Can you flip the plate setter over and use it for a pizza stone?
    Not really you need an air gap... If you cook direct on the platesetter you will burn the pizza... The AR does give you a raised setup among other options...
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @KingRanch450  .. I've seen guys go Hog wild and buy EVERYTHING from the opening gun, I say take it slow, do research. In the end, you'll find yourself saving a lot of money by not buying needless crap ( like I did ... lol)

A Thermapen and good welding gloves are tops on my list to start cooking some great meals.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    No, you need a different stone or your crust will be very crispy and the top raw.

I have a extra grid from an old Weber, that I converted into a raised grid with some stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts.  Makes a great second level.  Also used some firebricks to raise the grid a little more to the gasket line.  Can also used the firebricks inbetween the grids to make an indirect zone for small batch items.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• midwestsmoker
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 SoCalTim!  Also you'll soon find out you need another egg!  Welcome and have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  I'm with the above on pacing yourself out of the gate.  Here's a collection of info that may be of use:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/ Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ 

After-market toys- As you are aware, with the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

More than enough for now.  Have fun and don't overthink it.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    Woo2 and pizza stone from ceramic grill store.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS