Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook: Spineless Yardbird

Options
I decided to do a Spatchcock chicken for the first cook. Not an original cook, but it sure is a tasty one. Never done a spatchcock chicken before and I will definitely say it won't be the last one either. I was a little busy doing other stuff at the same time and the temp didn't want to go where I wanted it to go so I pulled out the Stoker. Talk about a great tool, I may just use it all the time. I could just look at my phone from inside the house and know everything was going great. Temperature: perfect.
Anyway, I cooked indirect at 375 grate temperature. I don't have an AR nor fire bricks and didn't really feel like downing 3 beers before cooking to raise the grate up for a raised direct cook so I went legs up on the plate setter. Rub is Plowboys Yardbird which is some really good stuff. Also threw on some small red potatoes to make smashed potatoes and SWMBO said she wanted corn, so that went on the grill as well. I'm definitely going to need a 2nd tier grate of some sort. The dark meat was done before the white meat due to positioning on the grate, but the meat was still very tasty and moist.
Enjoy the pics and I hope to post up many more great cooks in the future.

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks delicious. Can't wait to see your next cooks!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks great.  it was my first cook as well.  Just salt, pepper and duck fat instead of olive oil.  Have fun with it.  I got mine end of July and have been having great fun with it.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Winner!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking meal right there!  Call me next time and I'll help you with downing those beers! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Solid first cook.  Thanks.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Holy Toledo -- that was your FIRST cook???  I'm impressed!  I've cooked a number of spatchcock chickens, and it's a favorite cook, but I've never gotten it together to cook other stuff at the same time, like your corn and potatoes.  Looks great!!!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not my first cook ever. Just the first cook on the BGE. I've been cooking on grills for 25+ years.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Great looking cook!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS