Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Non-ordinary gift ideas for kids?

Options
2»

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    All kidding aside, I go the experience and memory way.  Spend the day with the child.  Movies, zoo, ice cream, museum, etc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Danielson said:
    Holy crap!  That girl is scary!

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Good idea.....

I just looked to see if we have those in Missouri--YES!  Never knew about them.  Fishing one seems like a deal, the game one not so much since it doesn't cover deer, turkeys, and waterfowl.  If they ever hunt, it will be on our property anyway.  Even though I own large part of the river, I still have to have a fishing permit though.

Also, junior NRA memberships are $15/yr. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

Good idea.....

I just looked to see if we have those in Missouri--YES!  Never knew about them.  Fishing one seems like a deal, the game one not so much since it doesn't cover deer, turkeys, and waterfowl.  If they ever hunt, it will be on our property anyway.  Even though I own large part of the river, I still have to have a fishing permit though.

Georgia's is a sportsmens license. Covers all stamps, tags, etc...  I see this in the stocking of my 13 yr old!  Thanks for the idea. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options

Good idea.....

Georgia's is a sportsmens license. Covers all stamps, tags, etc...  I see this in the stocking of my 13 yr old!  Thanks for the idea. 
    Be sure to check the pricing schedule for youth. I remember it not being a very good deal when I bought my Sportsman 6-7 yrs ago
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    For NC, under a certain age, like 13-15, it is only like $250 for fishing and hunting.  After that age, it's $500. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Yeah, at 38, lifetime fishing is the way to go.  Buy hunting license, tags annually.  Don't see myself climbing trees past 70, but ya never know.  =)

For the boy, he will get a Lifetime Sportsmen's(hunt/fish) for x-mas in the upcoming years.  This year, Santa is dropping off an adjustable bow.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stlcharcoal
    Options

Be sure to check the pricing schedule for youth. I remember it not being a very good deal when I bought my Sportsman 6-7 yrs ago
    It's the most expensive when you're 16-30......it's $250 cheaper if you're under 16, then it drops a $100 when hit 30, 40, 50, etc.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Here is the fee schedule for GA. Pay $350 now, wait up to 13 years before you need one to save $150? There are windows of opportunity to save a few bucks (if your kid is 14...) but overall it's not a good deal. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you look at sportsmans license by year it's $55 so if a 14 yr old is into hunting and fishing it's a no brainer. Just for fishing with trout stamp is $14 so the payback is a bit longer for sure, but still there. I'm 43, no way I'm paying $500 to just fish till I'm 65 when I can get a free lifetime pass. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I guess my suggestion is a gift shouldn't be what the giver thinks is cool, but should be something the recipient thinks is cool.  If the 2 year old will be ecstatic over savings bonds, by all means get them, but if you think the 2 year old or the 4 year old will see it as a worthless piece of paper, then you might want to get on the ground, roll around some, act and think like a little child, and figure out what they think would be a great gift to get.  My in-laws probably hate me for all of the loud noisy toys I have bought for my nieces and nephews over the years, but I know the kids loved them.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I guess my suggestion is a gift shouldn't be what the giver thinks is cool, but should be something the recipient thinks is cool.  If the 2 year old will be ecstatic over savings bonds, by all means get them, but if you think the 2 year old or the 4 year old will see it as a worthless piece of paper, then you might want to get on the ground, roll around some, act and think like a little child, and figure out what they think would be a great gift to get.  My in-laws probably hate me for all of the loud noisy toys I have bought for my nieces and nephews over the years, but I know the kids loved them.

Yeah, but if you give them a picture of the circus or something, and tell them they get to go there with you, they'll be pretty happy.  But just don't bail like my brother-in-law did on my 6 y/o when the circus came to town for the next two months. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. We still use the bird ID book my now 10year old got for his 3rd birthday. Another great that we do...bird feeder and some bird seed. Or a hummingbird feeder. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Give them a box wrapped in shiny paper.  Kids always play with the box instead of the gift that came inside it and they also like shiny things.  You can't lose!
    Flint, Michigan