Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp and roasting time per pound for whole chicken?

Options
Thanks.  Chicken is my thing and do a spachcock.  Husband likes whole chicken better (don't know why).  Advise appreciated.  Love the forum and you all have been a HUGE help.  
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would go indirect at about 400, and plan for 1- 1/4 hours.  Start checking around 1 hour and finish when the breast is 160.  

If you have a vertical roaster of a beer can holder I find it works well to get a nice even browning.  I know the whole beer can thing is debunked, but vertical cooking still works well IMO.  If you don't have one of those then perhaps a roasting rack just.   

I haven't done a chicken this way, but with a whole turkey (too big to spatchcock) I start it breast side down and then turn it over about 1/2 way through. 

Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I don't want to stir up trouble on the home front but, why doesn't spatchcock qualify as a whole chicken?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I don't want to stir up trouble on the home front but, why doesn't spatchcock qualify as a whole chicken?
    Umm, the backbone is missing. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Okay, technically you are correct. We never eat the backbone or tail so I did not consider that.

My assumption is that it comes down to presentation but, to me it is still a whole chicken; as opposed to quarters or individual pieces.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Okay, technically you are correct. We never eat the backbone or tail so I did not consider that.

My assumption is that it comes down to presentation but, to me it is still a whole chicken; as opposed to quarters or individual pieces.
    It was supposed to be a joke. :) I haven't cooked a "whole" bird in years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    375 raised direct. 160 breast, 180 leg/thigh. About 45-50 minutes

Low and Slow? 275 indirect for 2 2 1/2 hours. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    @Carolina Q @TexanOfTheNorth he thinks they are moister.  he can either be right or happy  lol, wink.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Haven't cooked a chicken on the egg in a while.  Have done it all, spatchcock, whole with sittiin' chickin' holder, and broke down.  For the egg, broke down wins.

Overall, I agree with your hubby.  The last bird, unbrined, juices were splattering me as I was carving.  

Whole is moister IMO. ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken - seems to be around 10 minutes/lb @ 400-425 degrees.
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    @Focker is that a rotisserie?  what brand for BGE?  Thx

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Looks like something other than a BGE...Weber kettle perhaps?   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    @Focker is that a rotisserie?  what brand for BGE?  Thx
    Hey sorry @eggnewtoy, that is a Cajun Bandit rotisserie on the Weber kettle.  There was a recent post about a new(er) product called the Joetisserie for the BGE.  Looks decent.  Not sure if it's out yet.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg0c6q3Y9HM
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."