Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Chilies in South Florida!

Options
I walked into The Fresh Market in Coconut Grove (Miami) and saw they had a Hatch Chile Booth with all sorts of Hatch Chile treats! I've seen how much you guys love using them. I was curious what recommendations you have for using these.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nice score.  I have yet to find them here in Melboooring Fl. 
    After roasting them and removing the blackened skin, seeds and veins I stuff them with sharp cheddar cheese and place on a hot griddle to melt the cheese.  Best chile rellenos in town.  Been eating them that way since the 50's as a very young kid in Albuquerque NM.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    How do you roast them? 
  • Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "Richard Fl" Thanks for the tip...I just picked up a 36" BlackStone Griddle on Friday. Looks like i'll be making some Chilie Rellenos :) Quick question...How HOT are they? I love a little kick, but my girl is a bit sensitive to spicy food.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Chop some up put on a cheeseburger , egg and bacon breakfast burritos, make some green chile stew with ground beef , onion , potatoes and garlic.  

Green chile goes with about anything :) 

by by far my favorite time of year here in Albuquerque the whole town smells fantastic. Mid sept and all of oct 
    are the best 

I found some more ideas

http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/40-best-recipes-for-hatch-chiles-you-need-right-now/
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The heat index should be printed on the package. If not, suspect Hot. 
    You just need to taste prior to any usage and go from there.
    They are good on hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, eggs, cold cut sandwiches, anything....
    The wine was unimpressive, but I drank it anyway.  =)
    Roast them on a grill over medium high heat, turning often to get an even char and skin begins to pull from flesh. Then put them in a plastic bag to sweat & cool. Eat when cool or transfer to a ziplock bag & freeze for later use. No need to peel before freezing as they peel easily with water after thawed. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Great idea on the sweating , when we buy them roasted here they come in a clear plastic trash bag and we always let them sweat for an hour or so before bagging them 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Believe it or not, they are great in turkey/chicken pot pie. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bill37 said:
    How do you roast them? 

With fire :lol:  We did a total of 2 bushels this year. Seriously thinking I'll need one more before next year's harvest. 
    https://youtu.be/BtETauEoyAU
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    "Richard Fl" Thanks for the tip...I just picked up a 36" BlackStone Griddle on Friday. Looks like i'll be making some Chilie Rellenos :) Quick question...How HOT are they? I love a little kick, but my girl is a bit sensitive to spicy food.

Hot depends on the brand, soil conditions and variety.  I just jump in a enjoy.  If too hot try some salt to sooth the heat.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @Richard Fl Thanks for the tip...I just picked up a 36" BlackStone Griddle on Friday. Looks like i'll be making some Chilie Rellenos :) Quick question...How HOT are they? I love a little kick, but my girl is a bit sensitive to spicy food.

Hot depends on the brand, soil conditions and variety.  I just jump in a enjoy.  If too hot try some salt to sooth the heat.

Or a stronger margarita!!  B)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Smokehouse33
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!  =)
  • Smokehouse33
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL love the video! The music is ridiculous!!! lol