Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

At the risk of being excommunicated...

Options
... has anyone here ever cooked baby backs in a pressure cooker? For health reasons, I almost never eat them, but I have this new toy and I'm considering it. I haven't bought any ribs in well over two years and even before that, ribs were a rarity. Mine just haven't been jaw droppingly good. Ok, not great. Still, every so often, you get the urge, ya know?

So anyway, I was watching a video this afternoon where she cut two racks in half, seasoned them and put them in a PC, added some apple cider and cooked for 15 minutes!! FIFTEEN! Then, she sauced and put them in a 400° oven for another 15. I gotta say, they looked REALLY good! And... ribs in 30 minutes?!!!

I don't know how much smoke they would take in that second 15 minutes, but I was thinking of 15 in the PC and then the second 15 in the egg (direct) with a few chunks of apple, oak or even hickory.

Would love some feedback. Have any of you ever tried this? Are you willing to admit to it in public? =)

Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    No. And, if the answer to the first question had been Yes, No!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    We use our pressure cooker frequently.  You can render out more fat at higher temps.  a 15 pound pressure gives you 250F I believe.  I do ropa vieja in the pressure cooker and beans, mostly.  You could smoke before or after...although they might be tough to handle after.
    Options
    If I was only able to eat ribs every year or so, I certainly wouldn't consider cooking them in a PC. 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    LOL, TOTN... where's your sense of adventure?!

Nola, I'm not familiar with ropa vieja, but I just looked it up and it looks great! I'm a pressure cooker noob, but beans are awesome - and quick! Also, I did this, from Kenji, a couple of days ago - absolutely delicious!! Chicken, lentil and carrot stew... took about 20 minutes for pulled chicken!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    REB17 said:
    If I was only able to eat ribs every year or so, I certainly wouldn't consider cooking them in a PC. 
    Why? Have you tried it? I already told you that mine on the egg aren't great. Why not try something new? Was just looking for tips.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've never used a pressure cooker, but my neighbor yesterday first braised the ribs in the oven then put them on the grill to get some smoke flavor.   I said that's kind of backwards. I would do it the other way or just smoke them.  I have done turbo with great outcome, but it still took over and hour to cook.  Has anyone tried sous verdi ribs them smoked them?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Michael, no ribs, but one of our favorite pressure cooker meals is French chicken. The recipe whether in a Dutch oven or in a PC makes a delicious, super tender fall apart chicken as it cooks in its own juices. The PC just makes it cook faster! I also have done ThirdEye's pastrami in my PC, but that might be too spicy for you. I had an aunt and uncle who owned a hardware store and because they were always on the run and pressed for time she became a master using her PC and she could create many terrific meals in short order. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'd say go for it and see how it turns out.  If good than good for you but if bad I'll never admit that I've talked to you on the internet.  LOL!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I met a guy who swore by cooking ribs in a pressure cooker. I say go for it. I bet you could knock out some delicious smoky charred ribs in no time. Standing by for results!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I've never used a pressure cooker, but my neighbor yesterday first braised the ribs in the oven then put them on the grill to get some smoke flavor.   I said that's kind of backwards. I would do it the other way or just smoke them.  I have done turbo with great outcome, but it still took over and hour to cook.  Has anyone tried sous verdi ribs them smoked them?
    I always understood that meat would pick up smoke FLAVOR whenever it was exposed to smoke. So if flavor is what you want, it doesn't matter which comes first. As I understand it, the smoke RING stops forming at a meat temp of 140°. So I would get none of that. But I don't care. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I'm channeling 1960 with my Mom standing in front of her new GE-4 burner electric range, a lit Kent in the ashtray ..... BB ribs were in the Presto pressure cooker for a very brief cook and then finished in the oven with bottled BBQ sauce (Kraft?).  I remember them being flavorful, pull off the bone tender.  It was the only way my Mom prepared ribs. Give it a try. 
    IL 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @Ladeback69 here you go 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185710/spare-me-the-trouble-the-sous-vide-egged-spare-ribs/p1

id be interested how the PC ribs turn out certainly worth trying. 
    The "hour on the egg = fall off the bone " makes me think that the 15 minutes might work. If not, I can just throw them back on.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    I'm channeling 1960 with my Mom standing in front of her new GE-4 burner electric range, a lit Kent in the ashtray ..... BB ribs were in the Presto pressure cooker for a very brief cook and then finished in the oven with bottled BBQ sauce (Kraft?).  I remember them being flavorful, pull off the bone tender.  It was the only way my Mom prepared ribs. Give it a try. 
    This is sounding better and better. Well, except for the Kraft. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Wonder if you could shoot some smoke into the PC lid cracked, lock, then cook?
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Smoking-Handheld-Food-Smoker/dp/B00K572J8O

Or better yet, cold smoke the racks day before?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Brandon, 90 bucks for a little smoke? Not gonna happen, bud. I'll use liquid smoke before I'll do that! :rofl: .

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    LOL, cheap azz. =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    LOL, cheap azz. =)
    Been said before. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    perfect timing, I just bought this recently, having lots of fun with it, mashed potato under five minutes, no more canned beans, and now ribs, woohoo!
    http://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440109753&sr=8-1&keywords=instant+pot

canuckland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is pretty old:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/897447/pressure-cooked-ribs-2nd-attempt#latest

If you look at all the discussions from civil engineer I think he settled on about 20 minutes at 15 PSI and then 10 minutes on the egg (5 minutes per side direct). 

I am sure they would be good.  Not the same as smoking them the entire time but they are still ribs! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    perfect timing, I just bought this recently, having lots of fun with it, mashed potato under five minutes, no more canned beans, and now ribs, woohoo!
    It's funny, everything I've read says that stovetop PCs are more popular than electrics. Higher PSI too. But every video I see or recipe I read, shows or mentions an electric!

Haven't tried mashed potatoes yet, but the beans are great! So was that lentil/chicken/carrot dish I mentioned above! I'm as psyched about this thing as I was about the egg when I first got it!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited August 2015
    Options

what I really like about this is it doesn't run like a choo-choo train and steam up the surrounding cabinets, the only sound you hear is a single initial hiss when the valve gets seated. it won't work for @caliking 's PC recipes where one has to count the number of whistles though  =)
    canuckland
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I thought that quick cook boiled peanuts was the reason the preassure cooker was developed. Who knew there were other uses.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

what I really like about this is it doesn't run like a choo-choo train and steam up the surrounding cabinets, the only sound you hear is a single initial hiss when the valve gets seated. it won't work for @caliking 's PC recipes where one has to count the number of whistles though  =)

So true , Gary :)

Years ago, I bought a new fancy looking (expensive) pressure cooker in Kolkata... and then found out that it didn't whistle like the old ones. I didn't know how to use the darn thing, because it cooked by time not by whistles! It gathered dust for many many years until I finally gave it away recently. My old ones that whistle work just fine for me.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    I love baby backs in my pressure cooker!  Remove the silver skin,season or rub and brown them 1st, then pressure cook them on high pressure for approximately 40 mins (depending on how meaty they are), then finish them on the egg!  They're AWESOME, and - it's a huge time saver.  I do this when we "spur of the moment" decide to have ribs :D 
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    Options
    Colonel Sanders fried his chicken in a PC
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    About 25 years ago I stood in line at a famous BBQ restaurant in Acapulco only to notice when we got near the kitchen (seperated by a glass wall)  that the pork ribs were boiled in large pots and then grilled on an open bed of hardwood coals and glazed with a BBQ sauce.  No smoke ring, but they were tasty.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    We use our pressure cooker for oxtail w stewed tomatoes and spices.  1 hr is fall off the bone status.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Before I got an Egg, I tried doing a partial cook in a PC, then onto the grill. The results were mediocre, IMO. I suspect it was that the metal cooker was drying the meat out by the time it crisped up the outside.

I tried that because I saw one of the better rib places in town par-boil their slabs before rubbing them and putting them into their pit. Their ribs were usually quite good.

Mostly I use my PC for making stock. Much superior to a reular stock pot both in flavor and gel formation and speed. 1.5 hours usually does it.

I learned early on that certain starchy items, like rice or potatoes if over cooked turn into glue like masses. Rice that goes for a minute too long at 15 psi turns into a mass of gel.

I do use it a lot for ears of corn, or beans.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    LOL, TOTN... where's your sense of adventure?!

We used to have a pressure cooker; used it mostly for vegetables and beans. Once the seal went we go rid of it and have never replaced it. I'm sure that ribs, done properly, would come out just fine cooking them in a pressure cooker; just not the same as doing them low and slow.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.