Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who Doesn't Love a Nice Butt?

Options
rossv1
rossv1 Posts: 114
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Did my first butt a couple days ago. 10 pounder that took just about 20 hours to reach 190 IT. Grid temp was kept at between 235-250 for the most part, although when I woke up in the morning the temp had dropped a good bit down to 198. Just made sure to open the vents up for a little bit then put them back to where they needed to be once the temps started to climb again.

I do have a question about what temps butts usually stall at. At first I thought mine stalled in the low 170's because IT hit 173 then dropped down to 170 but then when the IT climbed up to 180 or so it took forever to climb. Is it typical to stall twice or no? It kind of threw off my times because I planned on ~2 hours per pound but at the end of the 20 hours I was only at 190. I'll need to plan better for when I do my next one.

I was really happy with how this turned out, probably my favorite thing I've done so far, even more so than the brisket. But then again it wasn't really the most successful brisket in my opinion. 

Onto to some pics.

Stabilizing the temp

Butt finally going on

Finished

All pulled

22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Yes large cuts can stall twice.
    Jacksonville FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Very nice. :plus_one: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Here's something to think about, on your next butt ... if and when it hits the stall, crank the egg up to 350 and crash right on thru it. Great looking butt.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I think i know where this thread is headed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Great looking butt...amazing bark. Did you use a sugar based rub? I have never had a bark look that good. Thx

Opelika, Alabama
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am right sure that @fishlessman doesn't like a good butt. I could be wrong though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    it doesn't so much flat line at one temp, but just does a long slow crawl through about 170/175 to about 180/185

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I debated cranking the temp up when the temps were slowing down but I thought that it was just the fat breaking down causing the temp to stall and that by raising the temp would be counterintuitive and not cause it to break down as much. I'll have to try that on the next one though.

And as for the bark, I used a combination of Bad Byron's Butt Rub and a good bit of dark brown sugar. Mixed it up in a bowl and rubbed it on. Didn't foil or anything, just left it alone. The bark was really good, spicy from BB's with a bit of sweet too. Will definitely be the mix I use when I use this Bad Byron's!
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Thanks for the come-back on the bark. I too use BB's and thats all. Will try the db sugar on the next butt. BTW I do my butt's the turbo method, 350 dome and the stall does not last very long. (Nice looking spot or was that a large mouth) 

Opelika, Alabama
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Nice looking bark, too!  Good job. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes