Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I went caveman!

Options
So after reading all the caveman posts I decided to give it a try. Strip steak from Costco, seasoned with salt and pepper. BBQ salad on the side. It's by far the best steak I've done. Great crust, very juicy. 
Mckinney, TX
LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
Mini Max

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me!

Is that a Santa Fe salad?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks! Chopped salad with BBQ ranch by Dole. Wife's favorite. 
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • Panathinaikos55
    Options
    Great looking!  I've always wanted to try it, but fear that I'd be eating more ash than meat...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sometimes ya gotta jump into the pool-and while caveman may be a jump you will surface and totally be amazed with the outcome of the cook.  Go caveman and never go back...YMMV :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have read so many of these posts and have been hesitant to try.  Your photos are the best I have ever seen of this method.  Time to jump in the pool!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    I was pretty nervous to try it also, just do it you will Iove it. Make sure to get the lump nice and hot, stir lump right before putting steaks on to shake off the loose ash and throw them on. I had a couple of pieces of large lump that stuck on just knocked it off. Couldn't believe that it didn't have any small pieces of ash, just nice and  caramelized with the best flavor. Thanks @smbishop
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome to the club!!  You nailed them! Anyone that is still afraid, stop wasting time and give it a try!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Ok, so what is the time for each side to get an IT of 125*?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. @Que_n_Brew I cooked them roughly 1:45 per side. The steaks were about 11/4" thick, i pulled mine at 120 or so. I let them rest couple of mins and with carry over they finished a couple degrees higher. I left my wife's steak on about 30-45 seconds longer,  she likes them more medium. Give it a go, you will not be disappointed!!
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Keep watching...haven't taken the plunge yet.

Steaks look great!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    Looks awesome , i got to try this.. I bet potatoes cook quick as well. Salad recipe please....:)
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Great cook!  
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    @CDPlaya it's a pre made chopped salad with bbq ranch from Dole. You can usually find it in the produce section. If not, we just throw different veggies, whatever you like, into a salad with a few crushed corn chips and add a little of your favorite bbq sauce to some ranch dressing. The wife is in charge of the salad and she likes all of the pre-made from Dole.
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    Was there any benefit to this technique in terms of tenderness or taste?

I've tossed around the idea of doing it but haven't heard much feedback with the difference between this method as opposed to a normal cook. 
    Charlotte, NC
  • hapster
    Options
    tenderness is a function of the cut and grade of your steak; as well as what temp you pull it out... The advantage over a more regular cook I found, is that the crust is more flavorful, something about it being right on the fire seems to enhance the taste.
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    @Egginaround I just got back from Wallyworld. We gathered up ingredients,but could not find any dressing from Dole. I scooped up some hidden valley ranch ,and tortilla strips for a topping. I mixed the ranch with Sweet baby Rays BBQ sauce. 1/2 teaspoon to a cup of dressing for our taste. We ate the whole bowl before the chicken was done. Lol George Foreman grill was to slow.... It was delicious,thanks
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    nice - I AM TOO SCCAAAARRREED !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    @CDPlaya glad you liked it. The crust and flavor with the caveman method is outstanding. @NDG just do it, it's not that hard at all
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Was there any benefit to this technique in terms of tenderness or taste?

I've tossed around the idea of doing it but haven't heard much feedback with the difference between this method as opposed to a normal cook. 
    Main benefit is being able to get a nice crust completely covering the steak. Being close to the lump (as in touching it) gives you the maximum radiant heat. Using a grate above the coals will give you a reduced radiant heat. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Great looking cook.

So I'm guessing you have to cook no more than 1 1/2" steaks with this method??  Seems to me a 2"+ steak would burn on the outside before getting the middle to 110-115 for the pull. Input?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Not sure about thicker cuts. I would guess it could get a little burnt. 
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    Then for thicker steaks do a reverse sear.... Then say you get it to 80-90 degrees toss it on the coals and go. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    BTW I need to go CAVEMAN!

Jacksonville, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice job!
    Options
    What about the ash residue?  Does any stick to the steaks, and how do you brush it off?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Nice thing about lump charcoal is there is very little ash (don't try this with briquettes).  Occasionally a small piece of lump may stick, but you will not have to worry about ash.  

If you have never tried caveman cooking, you may want to experiment for the first time with a less expensive piece. Use it as an add on to a normal cook you do. After removing your main meal, fire up the lump and then try the experimental piece. Use it as an app for the meal.  It is definitely a nervous time putting $75 worth on steak directly on burning lump for the first time!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook!  Once you try it Caveman will be in your routine rotation. Definitely enhances flavor as @hapster said.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • hapster
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Great cook!  Once you try it Caveman will be in your routine rotation. Definitely enhances flavor as @hapster said.
    Thanks... And I think the caveman cook will turn an average steak into something special, and a really good steak into something spectacular. 

Having the family over for dinner Saturday to celebrate the inlaws anniversary... Everyone cannot wait for cavemaned steaks 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Killer caveman.  

Friend brined, smoked, then caveman'd some pok chops tonight, said it was 6 TDs on the Bears good....flippin' Cheeseheads. =)  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."