Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Arguing about lump charcoal.....

Options
13»

Comments

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Thanks XC242   I will try to check it out
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    I used the Jake's Blend for dinner tonight, it wasn't as hard to light as I heard it might be and it smelled much better than what I had used.

Tomorrow I'll post up some pictures of Rockwood, I had ordered that off the internet before i found out I could get bags of WGJB 10 minutes from my house. And I'm only an hour and a half or so from the WG distribution facility so I'll probably get a few friends together for a road trip and get a pallet. 5 people could get 6 22 lb bags for $84 each. At $14 a bag it will be worth the trip, give us something to do while waiting for a pork butt to smoke ;)

Almost forgot, I mentioned dinner so I need to post a pic

• Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    @theyolksonyou   Thank you!!!   I drive by HD every morning so I'll stop by and stock up!  
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    GregW said:
    I use B&P Charcoal most of the time.
    http://bandplumpcharcoal.com/
    The guy who sells it is local to Birmingham. The guy must have had at least 20 bulk sacks in his warehouse. Each bulk bag weighed around 1000 pounds.
    He re-bags this bulk charcoal into 20 pound bags that he sells to local stores.

He told me he imports the charcoal from a south american country. At one time he was selling a lot of the 1000 pound bags to a metal foundry in south Alabama that they were using to make whatever metal they were forging.

You can buy it from him for around $12. If you go to the local Green Egg places they have the same charcoal in a different bag label called Manor. They sell is for $18 a bag. Same Lump, the B&P guy just bags it with a different name so they can sell it for a premium.

The good part of buying direct from him is he bagged it in his warehouse and it has had minimal handling to cause to break into small pieces.

The B&P guy is really nice to deal with. He's a real BBQ guy. He always has some new brand of grill or smoker sitting in the warehouse. This is where I bought my Portable Kitchen (PK) grill a few years ago.

If your in the area sometime look him up.

Bought some recently and I hate it. I've only opened the first bag and it has mostly small pieces.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL