Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally lit the Eggs - And COOKING

Options
It seems like it has been forever in the building and the planning, but the day to fire up the eggs is finally here.  You folks have helped me immensely with your willingness to share information and put up with my endless questions.  Thank you.

My first cook and based on the many times you have recommended it to others, is chicken,  a Beer Can Chicken.  It is something I have cooked many times before so I will be able to make some comparisons.  My recipe for cooking is a little different.  No beer in the can, I drank it.  It is half full of frozen concentrated lemonade, pressed cloves of garlic and a few spices.  The outside is rubbed with an extra light EVO (made for frying and baking) and a poultry rub I found that looks good from the ingredients.

The dome temp (calibrated) is reading steady at 400 and the grate temp with the Maverick (calibrated) is holding steady at 305.  I am using the plate setter, legs up, raised grill and a small drip pan in between.

Now only time will tell.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Congrats!  Fight off the hordes and get some "after" shots before it's all eaten up.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! I have the XL and would like to get either a large or a medium.  I'm in envy.  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Time to rock & roll..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Trixie_Belle
    Options
    Looks delish!!! However the egg looks so clean inside!  I'm jealous. Mine is all smoked up. 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looks awesome!!! And thanks for your service!!!!!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice first cook on the new egg and ditto on the thanks for serving our great country.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words.  It seems like a lot you guys have a certain pic that is your signature at the end of food postings.  I just thought a pic of my hat and a cold one would make for a good shot for me.  I do appreciate your sentiments very much.  Funny how much things have changed since I came back from Vietnam 47 years ago.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    That looks very solid for a first cook. Way to break it in properly! 
    Charlotte, NC
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks GLORIOUS!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks very nice my friend - glad to see you working the egg.

Try inverting the chicken - legs up.   Rather than explaining it, check out little_steven's notes on this thread:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149516/beer-can-chicken

Options
    Very nice first cook. My first chicken didn't look as  good as that. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That looks wonderful. I know you're going to love your BGE.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

That looks very good.  Thank you for your service, also!

Chicken and Eggs go together like, well, Chicken and Eggs! 

Clinton, Iowa
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Looks great brother! Thank you for serving our country!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Strong start right there.  Most eggcellent.  You can help with skin crispness by letting it air-dry in the fridge overnight and/or applying a very light sprinkling of corn starch to the skin before the final prep and cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sonny3
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Strong start right there.  Most eggcellent.  You can help with skin crispness by letting it air-dry in the fridge overnight and/or applying a very light sprinkling of corn starch to the skin before the final prep and cook.  FWIW-
    Thanks for the tip.  I will definitely be trying that the next time chicken goes on the egg.
  • Soyknee
    Soyknee Posts: 33
    Options
    Where did you get the skewers at and what brand are they???  I need some
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Awesome post! The meal looks great and you have a really nice setting to enjoy your eggs... Pics look fantastic as well!
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Looking great and I love your cooking space!!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Great looking chicken!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Sonny3
    Options
    Soyknee said:
    Where did you get the skewers at and what brand are they???  I need some
    Home Depot in the BBQ department.  I think they were $4.97 for a package of four.  I got really tired of losing asparagus through the grate on the gasser.  Watch out for the points, really sharp.  The thin flat blades work real well on just about everything.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Great looking first cook and welcome to the addiction.  I have had mine about a year and find my self when I am sitting in the back yard, thinking about what else I can cook on the BGE.  I use mine 2-3 times a week, so fortunately there is usually food on it when I am thinking about what to cook next.

On the birds skin, I used to only cook beer can chickens.  This board switched me to spatchcocked though.  They are the same if not more moist then a beer can chicken I would make on an offset smoker.  I grill them indirect at about 350 to 400 degrees then reverse sear them to get the skin extra crispy again.

Outstanding and cheap meal that we make quite often. 

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Sonny3
    Options
    @jak7028 , yep spatchcock is definitely on the short list of next cooks.  I have seen too many great looking meals prepared that way on here.  I chose to go with BeerButt for comparison purposes.  Cooked enough that way to be able to tell the difference from the BGE and a gasser or smoker.  I gotta say that the wife I thought the BGE produced a more flavorful and moist bird.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    That bird looks great and so does that clean Egg.  Thank you for your service!!  Now get to cooking and get the Egg black inside.
    XL BGE
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I did the exact same thing you did with the beer butt chickens on the egg since that was what I knew.  My wife said the same thing about BGE birds being better whether it was beer butt or spatchcock.  Especially turkey, she will not eat oven cooked turkey, it used to only be fried that she liked, but she will eat a roasted BGE turkey now also.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone