Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at pizza

Options
Trying a new cook tonight, PIZZA! I purchased the stone and peel this weekend and already have a plate setter. Is there any advice from you veteran pizza makers out there that could aid me in my first attempt? I have seen some people turn a drip pan upside down on top of the plate setter and then the stone on top of that. Temp, time just any little things like that to help this young padawan egger. Thanks!
Large BGE | Gainesville, GA

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
     My set up on my XL is platesetter legs up grate and then a Williams and Sonoma pizza que which is a raised pizza stone, you could go regular pizza stone direct off the grate  and I would recommend dialing in at 450 to 475 dome for 20 to 30 minutes on your first attempt.  Here are a few pictures of my rig .
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • ILikeBigButts
    Options
    @Grillmagic
    Dude...that looks KILLER! Yeah I was debating between the high cook 650-700 and the lower 450 type cook...

• Greedygoat
    Greedygoat Posts: 134
    Options
    My one piece of advice would be to let the pizza cool a bit before you start eating eat.  Made pizzas this past weekend and 3 out of the 4 of us burned the roofs of our mouths because we couldn't wait to devour the pizzas.

As far as cooking, I like to use a piece of wax paper in between the dough and the stone with semolina flour and let it cook for a minute or two and then remove the paper so the dough doesn't stick to the stone.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • ILikeBigButts
    Options
    As far as cooking, I like to use a piece of wax paper in between the dough and the stone with semolina flour and let it cook for a minute or two and then remove the paper so the dough doesn't stick to the stone.
    I like that idea! Will definitely try that 

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Use parchment paper rather than wax paper.  The wax will melt and the waxy paper will be stuck to the bottom of the pizza (don't ask how I know this).  

You want to try to get your stone as high in the dome as possible, and in all events leave an air gap between the stone and platesetter (whether using PS legs up, regular cooking grid then stone or a raised grid with stone on it).
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Greedygoat
    Options

Also, if you have kids let them "help" ....
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • ILikeBigButts
    Options
    @MO_Eggin Bahahaha "Don't ask me how I know" says it all bud! And yeah I knew to get it high as possible just didn't know if legs up or down was the best route...

• Greedygoat
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    Use parchment paper rather than wax paper.  The wax will melt and the waxy paper will be stuck to the bottom of the pizza (don't ask how I know this).  

I've been using wax paper every time I've cooked pizza and I've never had this problem.  Perhaps the key is to not let it cook too long before removing.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I do legs down on the plate setter, grate, raised grate to get an air gap, then BGE pizza stone for the XL.  I cook between 450 and 500.  Pizza is usually done in about 8 to 10 minutes.  I use parchment paper under my dough and do this before you put the toppings on. halfway through the cook i turn the pizza a 1/4 turn and pull the parchment paper out.  I have never needed to put anything on the stone to keep it from sticking other then the parchment paper.  You want to make sure you stone is good an hot before putting on your first pizza.  Once mine is at 450 I let it ride there for at least 30 to 45 minutes before putting the first one on.  If you are looking for dough to use, I like 00 pizza flour.  Just fallow the recipe on the bag.  Good luck. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @ILikeBigButts   There are many types of pizza and they have differing cooking needs. In general, I think of the differences in terms of "thin crust/high temp/short time/high hydration dough'" vs "thick crust/lower temp/longer time/lower hydration dough". Many people like what is often called American style pizza. This is medium to medium-thick crust cooked at moderate temps for longer times. 500°F +- works well for this. If you want a NY style or Neapolitan style pizza, you need temps higher.

The key is to get the stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked. If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.  And remember to thoroughly heat up the ceramics before cooking (45-60 minutes).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ILikeBigButts
    ILikeBigButts Posts: 41
    edited July 2015
    Options

• ILikeBigButts
    ILikeBigButts Posts: 41
    edited July 2015
    Options

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Nice!  Blows always my first try!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • ILikeBigButts
    Options
    Thanks! @Cookbook_Chip

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Heat setting is gonna really depend upon the dough ingredients. I like 600-750 on the dough I've been making. Use of any sugar and the high temp will tend to burn the crust before the topping is good. There's a learning curve to it. 
    Here's my last pie. White Pizza. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Nice looking pizza!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Greedygoat
    Options
    Great job on the pie!!
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Agree, great first try out of the gates.  Looks like you have a good system.  With pizza, if you something that works, keep doing it.  Did it taste as good as it looks?  That's the most important thing.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • consultexpat
    Options
    I love the idea of using a simple foil pan to raise the pizza stone in the dome! Thanks ILikeBigButts! (BTW, I'm also in Gainesville, GA)
  • ILikeBigButts
    Options
    Thanks! @Grillmagic and @Greedygoat

Tasted amazing @Ladeback69 .... I will never waste dough in the oven again after that experience!

@consultexpat The foil pan did help a little. The only thing I noticed was it seemed to not cook the middle of the pizza as faster as the outer rim. After I removed the stone from the grill you can clearly see (by the darkening of the ceramic) that the middle didn't get the same heat air flow the sides did. So I would recommend a grate lifter instead 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Looks really good. Of course, the only thing that really matters is did you like it.  If you like the results, its a winner!!!!  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.