Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Damn I am glad to be done with varnish

If you look too closely there are a few imperfections to be found.  Hey, I am not a furniture builder.  But from the way the flag and can are reflected in the top, I am happy with the final coat of varnish.  I am done and done with varnish and don't care to ever try  it again except under extreme duress.  Now I am calling to schedule delivery of my XL and Med Eggs.  Enough with the research and furniture building, I am more than ready to start cooking and becoming an Egghead.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• scottn83
    scottn83 Posts: 117
    Nice
    hello all I live in KY Bourbon country so I love my makers, love my egg but still love my wife the most
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Sure looks good. How many coats did you do?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sweet 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Thank you guys.  I put 4 coats on the base and 5 coats on the tops.  It had better hold up for a while, cause I ain't doing it again anytime soon.  My biggest worry now is the Egg delivery guys scratching the top.  That thought woke me up a few times last night thinking about them screwing up my table.  In fact I am seriously thinking about putting off delivery for a few days, just to give it more time to harden.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Toxarch
    Take some blue masking tape and cover the top of the table with it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Way to jump right in and buy two eggs! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Really nice set up.  Looking forward to seeing your cooks.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    If you didn't finish the underside of the table top, you should do that before the egg is installed.  This will prevent warping of the top.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @Sonny3   Nice looking table and congrats on the stereo eggs!

Do I dare ask, how long is a beautiful finish like that good for outdoors?  I'm a woodworker, but everything I do is indoor - I know very little about outdoor finishes.
    Phoenix 
  • Sonny3
    QDude said:
    If you didn't finish the underside of the table top, you should do that before the egg is installed.  This will prevent warping of the top.
    The first thing I did when I started to varnish was take the top off of the legs and turn everything over.  I put four coats of varnish on the underside of the top and all sides of the leg and shelf structure.  Then I put the top back on and went through the coat and sand process to give the top 5 coats.  I am sick and tired of varnish for sure.

blasting said:

Do I dare ask, how long is a beautiful finish like that good for outdoors?  I'm a woodworker, but everything I do is indoor - I know very little about outdoor finishes.

Not being a wood worker, I really can't answer you question about how long it will hold up.  I can tell you that I used Marine grade Spar Varnish (like they use on boats).  The guy that built my cypress egg table (he builds about 2-3k a year) is the one that told me to be sure and use Marine varnish.  I have to think he knew what he was talking about.
  • mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Toxarch said:
    Take some blue masking tape and cover the top of the table with it.

NOOOO!!! Unless the varnish is well cured, even painters tape could possibly lift the finish. Obtain some clean, flat sheets of cardboard and lay on the table during installation.
    Laurens,SC
  • Toxarch
    OK, ignore my suggestion. It isn't wise advice.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Sonny3
    Thanks guys.  I talked with the Egg place today about delivery for Friday.  Also mentioned my concern about the table.  They said no problem.  Once they lift it up they (3 guys) go straight in the hole without putting it on the table.  They also said they would repair damage if any.  But you can bet I will be standing by with a piece of cardboard just in case.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Nice work. Looks like all the hard work paid off. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Friday should be enough time to cure well because I imagine you've cured between coats as you went along - just keep it indoors (or at least out of any rain) during that time.

3 guys should get them in there no problem - a moving blanket should give you extra protection just in case.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Sonny3
    I hope I cured them enough between coats.  I followed the directions on the can and let them dry at least 24 hours between coats.  If I started to sand them and started seeing little gummy balls, I quit and left them for another day.  Today marks two weeks since I started the project. 

For the most part because of the humidity here in FL, I kept them in the garage with an AC running to draw out the moisture and keep the temp at about 78-80.  I guess I will find out if I did it right when I bring them out on Friday.

But there is no turning back now.  I actually bought the Eggs when there was a sale going on the last day of May.  Those people have had my money long enough, now I want my Eggs.  I am ready to start cooking.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Sonny3 said:
    QDude said:
    The first thing I did when I started to varnish was take the top off of the legs and turn everything over.  I put four coats of varnish on the underside of the top and all sides of the leg and shelf structure.  Then I put the top back on and went through the coat and sand process to give the top 5 coats.  I am sick and tired of varnish for sure.

blasting said:

Not being a wood worker, I really can't answer you question about how long it will hold up.  I can tell you that I used Marine grade Spar Varnish (like they use on boats).  The guy that built my cypress egg table (he builds about 2-3k a year) is the one that told me to be sure and use Marine varnish.  I have to think he knew what he was talking about.

That is a table to be proud of and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    To the question about longevity of the finish, some of that depends on whether or not it's exposed to direct sunlight. If so you will get yellowing...( and some checking of the finish) in a more extreme cases.
    If you can keep it out of the direct sunlight by shading it during hot sun conditions... that would beneficial... and prolong the beauty of the finish.
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!