Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CL find: SBGE and some questions.

Options
snoqualmiesmoker
snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Always wanted a small for camping, so I've been hunting the CL. A member here was awesome and sold me his Egg Carten. Could never find the mythical small. Just I was giving up hope, I found one!  

Guy was 3 hours away. Got the egg, the plate setter, pizza stone, ash tool, grill gripper, medium stand, 1/2 a be of lump, electric lighter, feet, cap, and a worn out cover for $275. After having so much issue not finding one, I didnt even haggle. He had installed a different hinge on it. Gasket is shot so I ordered a Rutland ASAP!  Also the grate was ceramic, so i swung into my dealer and got a new one. 

Added one of these under it. Good for up to 570 degrees. We'll see!  

I relaize she's a bit older, but not sure how old. 
Just need to get an upgraded door. 
Also, the firebox is tight agains the outer shell with no cut. The fire ring is not, it has some space.
Questions:
New fireboxes(I looked at dealer) are cut and have room. Anyone have this?
Was the lid changed recently as mine looks a a bit shallower. 
Worth upgrading to the stainless door? eBay has em but obviously would prefer OEM. 
Lit and it got super hot pretty quick. Past 500 easy. 
Thanks guys!

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks good to me I'd light a fire in it while it's dark without the egg carton on it to examine it for cracks that only show when the egg is warm. How did the the hinge change? Completely original install or an updated hinge from BGE?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Oh boy did you score. Chalk one up for the good guys !
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Looks good to me I'd light a fire in it while it's dark without the egg carton on it to examine it for cracks that only show when the egg is warm. How did the the hinge change? Completely original install or an updated hinge from BGE?
    Good call.  I lit it up and it looked fine other than smoke from the hinge.
    The new hinge is a BGE upgrade hinge as it had the scissor hinge (according to the seller).
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    Oh boy did you score. Chalk one up for the good guys !
    It was funny too, as I was about to delete the search from my CL app.  2 seconds later boom.  And both the setter and pizza stone are like new.  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Saw that listed, I am in Seattle. I have the mini max so couldn't make the move. Grats Btw was that the one in magnolia?
    Seattle, WA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Dude you got the egg carten with that?!?!?

XLBGE 
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Saw that listed, I am in Seattle. I have the mini max so couldn't make the move. Grats Btw was that the one in magnolia?
    No, didn't see that one.  There was one that was missing all the interior stuff.  
    I was torn about getting the mini-max as theres a guy up north on CL who is cheapest around.  A mini max was priced crazy. But this was a great deal.  

Dude you got the egg carten with that?!?!?
    Ha!  No, i was looking to get one and a forum member kindly offered his to me.  So i had it for a few weeks waiting.  Its #23. I named the Egg Jordan in honor.