Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to secure the Mini / deter theft from the backyard?

Options
Sweet100s
Sweet100s Posts: 553
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Any thoughts on how to secure a Mini BGE and deter theft from the backyard? 

I currently have a Large BGE but am considering a Mini addition.

Maybe a cable through the back hinge to something nearby and heavy like the Large?   
(though can't tell from the pic if that would work.) 

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I get sad every time I read a post like this. I grew up here in the middle of nowhere Midwest. It doesn't even dawn on me that someone might steal your stuff. That said, they do. Even around here. 
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited July 2015
    Options
    don't live in the ghetto.... but no, all jokes aside, can you carry it inside? its pretty light.... garage it or something
    Beaufort, SC
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Dog?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Garage/Storage bin w/lock?? 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    12 gauge with 00 buck 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I get sad every time I read a post like this. I grew up here in the middle of nowhere Midwest. It doesn't even dawn on me that someone might steal your stuff. That said, they do. Even around here. 
    I hear you - I grew up in a small town in central MO and my parents never locked the door to our home and Dad always left the car keys in the ignition so he would know where they were! That was in the 50's - different times back then.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hear you - I grew up in a small town in central MO and my parents never locked the door to our home and Dad always left the car keys in the ignition so he would know where they were! That was in the 50's - different times back then.

My old man said " why lock the door, you will have to clean up the glass from a broken window if they want in". People had pride and integrity. Most still do, but not nearly as many. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Ron it's funny. My father is the same. I bet he hasn't locked it since he moved in around 1972. He still leaves his keys in the car. I don't leave the keys in my car but I have never had something stolen and never worry about it. Have left the garage open many times by accident sometimes with the lights on. Last time my neighbor shut the door and left a note on my windshield. Gives me faith. I repaid in brisket.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @chubbs and @GaBGE said. Might want to add a 6' fence with razor wire on top. 

Or just use the cable locked to the large. Sounds like a good idea to me. Really theft deterring is only keeping honest people honest. Doesn't take much to deter somebody. If someone wants it they'll get it. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Sad to say but I know people who have had grillss taken off their back porches in the city!
    How about taking a coated wire bike lock .... running it through the top and then out through the draft door and locking it to a post?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    In the past 12 months, I have been out of town, 400+ miles away, for nearly 6 of them. My large and mini (and two Webers) have been on my patio, visible from the street to anyone who cared to look. No cables, no locks. All were waiting patiently for me when I returned. As I knew they would be.

My advice... Move.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    I took my small camping this year. I ran a bike/cable lock through the hinge and handle then to picnic table. They can still take it if they want it bad enough but I felt better about it while we were away from the campground
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • stemc33
    Options
    In the past 12 months, I have been out of town, 400+ miles away, for nearly 6 of them. My large and mini (and two Webers) have been on my patio, visible from the street to anyone who cared to look. No cables, no locks. All were waiting patiently for me when I returned. As I knew they would be.

My advice... Move.
    Thanks for advertising, I'll let my peeps know. :lol: 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Just be thankful this brisket thief doesn't live in your area. I'm sure there's not a BBQ safe in his AO. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yuI7BqFw-ao
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I grew up in a very nice neighborhood in Augusta Ga.  When I was 16 I got home from baseball practice and was home alone.  Dad was at work and mom was running errands with my brother.  At 5:30 in the afternoon a guy kicked down our front door.  Something straight out of an alarm company advertisement.  Let's just say I'm glad I'm 6'1 and had a baseball bat nearby.   It doesn't matter what sort of neighborhood you live in.  People steal.  That being said,  build a table for your large and keep the mini in a cabinet. You can put a lock on the cabinet.  If it's out of sight people are less likely to steal your stuff. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    My mini just sits in the back yard with the large. If she gets stolen when Im at home there will be a "Stand your ground"  and a " Castle doctrine" issue that the thief will have to deal with. If they want my mini that bad they can just have it. I cant really see shooting someone over a grill. different story if they come into my house and get my family involved
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

My advice... Move.
    It'll only take one worthless waste of oxygen douche bag to shatter that thought. I live in a good neighborhood too but my doors and gates stay locked, and my guns loaded. 

This is my truck in my driveway in my "safe" neighborhood just a few months ago:Douche bags are everywhere. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    For under $20 I can get a bolt cutter from Home Depot that will cut any cable you put out there. If someone wants it they will get it. I would say look into getting a carten for it and it's light enough after you let it cool you can carry it in or put it in a storage box out of sight. Just remember never bring a hot grill inside.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Liquid Nail it down  =)
  • stemc33
    Options
    @Jeremiah, was it theft or a neighbor that can't throw a ball?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Screw the mini get a XXL make them work for it damnit! If they can get the 550lbs egg that is earning it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    It's sad, but, my dad's house had a bicycle (locked) with a dog in the yard and it still got stolen.  Bicycle, not the dog.  2 kayaks were also stolen a few years later.  It's out of sight & locked.

There is a Home Depot a mile away, so they must have gotten a bolt cutter there...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I've had two trucks broken into and one garage broken into.  Stuff happens.

Sure you can defeat a lock, but you just want to keep the lazy non-prepared thief away.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I hate the cowards!  Get a motion detector and an AR 15 (or 12G Benelli) and defend your castle brother!  Shoot first, ask questions later.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sure you can defeat a lock, but you just want to keep the lazy non-prepared thief away.
    Exactly.   Any security measure can be defeated by time + $.  

Maybe a cable lock is the  BTN (Better Than Nothing) deterrent.
    A cable lock since it...
    - Wouldn't require moving  the mini after and then before each usage
    - Could stay in place while I'm cooking on the mini 
    That would be a low hassle factor yet surprise someone who thinks they can do a snatch and grab.

That plus a small cover on it after cooling down that says "Weber" :-). 

http://www.spotcrime.com/
    Based on data for my neighborhood,  the occasional burglary or theft is all that happens.

All thefts I've experienced here were "inside jobs"
    ex:    
    - Before I moved in, all kitchen appliances + the washer (not the dryer) were stolen.   Builder told me it was definitely an inside job (someone on the crew.) 
    - Cleaning person admitted to taking something

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Last time my neighbor shut the door and left a note on my windshield. Gives me faith. I repaid in brisket.
    My neighbors who I didn't know very well since I was relatively new to the neighborhood garage door was malfunctioning during labor day weekend. It kept going up and down every few minutes. I walked over pulled the cord and left a note on their front door explaining the situation and who I was. I didn't expect anything in return as I just didn't want others to see the door malfunction and realize that they were gone for the weekend.  They both personally came over and thanked me the next day.  He also sold me his motorcycle for $250 a few months later! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:

Overall (exceptions exist) the average crime level is about the same as the late 50s, early 60s.   We wax nostalgic and our universe is often our immediate environment, so I can see how perception is so powerful.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127370540

Options
    A wise man once told me that locks are just there to keep the honest people honest.

I'd say get a table for the egg so you can wheel it into storage when not in use and get a big dog.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Chain a Rabid Dobermin to the grill.    Let it EAT whoever it catches.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Like the neighbor's 4 year old daughter?