Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Temp Control

Options
I'm very new to the BGE having only purchased a large egg earlier this month.  This past weekend I tried cooking a pizza and slow cooking a leg of lamb. For the pizza I had a rough time getting the temp above 600 and for the lamb initially I was able to maintain the temp at 325 / 350 however after an hour or so it creeped up to over 400.  In one of the earlier forms I noted someone stated to just about close the drafts top and bottom.  Can someone educate me on just how far to close the vents top and bottom for temp control.  Is one more important than the other.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hi @halibut350 .. you want to 'catch' the temp on the way up. For example, if your target temp is 350 ... fire up your egg, watch the temp slowly rise.

When the temp hits about 300 adjust the top vents. For me, the bottom vent will be about 1" open and the top will be open 1/2 inch - maybe less, you'll need to feel things out.

As far as pizza temp, maybe someone else can chime in as that's not a strong point for me.

Now .. if you want to talk 'tri tip', I'm all ears.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Check out the search box on the upper right corner and input temperature control.  You'll find all you could ever want. Welcome and good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    One is not more important than the other. I don't even use the top cap and control temp just with the bottom vent. It's really a matter of learning through experience. As @SoCalTim says, you want to catch the temp on the way up.

600* should no be a problem but, make sure that the dough you are using can tolerate such a high heat. Many are best cooked at a much lower temp.

For your pizza, did you have at least a full firebox full of lump?

For the lamb, how long did you let the egg sit at 325/350 before adding the lamb?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Most things over 300 degrees i dont use the daisy wheel for. On my large i can maintain 300 degrees, if not a bit less, with no top and the draft door open maybe 1/4". Each 1/4" more open is around 50-75 degrees in my experience. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @halibut350   Also be aware that the size of opening to maintain any given temp will vary from cook to cook or even during a given cook. Things that impact the settings include outside air temp, rain, wind, and amount of direct sun. 

You may be amazed at how small the opening needs to be to maintain a 225-250º temp. Use the settings discussed on this forum as a general guide, but be prepared to adjust based on your own circumstances.  

For higher temps (over 400º) I remove the daisy wheel completely and control with just the bottom vent.  For lower temps (less than 300º) I use the bottom vent to get close to the target temp and then use the daisy wheel to fine tune. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PV=nRT
    When you open the daisy wheel, should the temp rise because of the air flow, or fall because you're letting the heat out? I have trouble keeping the temp below 250. Ive had the lower vent down as tight as 1/8" or less and it still won't stay that low. Ive tried catching it on the upswing in temp, but haven't been able to keep it that low.Ive only had my BGE for about 6 weeks, so Im still learning the ropes.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    When you open the daisy wheel, should the temp rise because of the air flow, or fall because you're letting the heat out? I have trouble keeping the temp below 250. Ive had the lower vent down as tight as 1/8" or less and it still won't stay that low. Ive tried catching it on the upswing in temp, but haven't been able to keep it that low.Ive only had my BGE for about 6 weeks, so Im still learning the ropes.
    The less airflow you got, top and/or botttom, the lower your temp will be.  The more you open your daisy wheel, the hotter it will get.  Remember how well the Egg is insulated.  
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PV=nRT
    So how many moles of gas/smoke per gram of lump is produced at 275 degrees on a slow cook? Assuming standard pressure and volume constant of a LBGE of course... :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I find cooking Pizza's at 450-500 works great.

New Albany, Ohio 

• qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    Love my Auber PID.