Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I made another bacon explosion. I use the the griddle to fry up a 1.5lb package of bacon all at once. I love this thing.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I made another bacon explosion. I use the the griddle to fry up a 1.5lb package of bacon all at once. I love this thing.
    Yeah dude....I'm totally loving it so far!  The batter dispenser is a must buy if you don't have one yet.   Doing homemade hashbrowns tomorrow to complete our all-american breakfast.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2015
    Angus1978 said:
    @Jeremiah
    I went into my local Lowes, I lied, told them the nearest Bed, Bath, Beyond was 50miles away with the griddle in stock and I didn't feel like driving that far.  They gave me 10% off, so I walked out of there with the griddle for 291.00 after tax.  Good enough for me, and not having to wait on BBB to fill an order.

Pants on fire!  Should have just told the truth.  (just bustin' chops)

I called HD today and told them I had a BBB 20% off coupon for the same grill they had in stock.  They said come on it.  I went in and the person I spoke to was gone.  Spoke to the manager and ended up wheeling out a fully assembled Blackstone for $239 + tax.  

Already seasoned first coat and done one round of green onions.  Tomorrow another round of seasoning and then a few pounds of bacon.  

I'm going to look around for a hot seamstress to date, so she can let my pants out as needed...  I've got to say, this thing is kickas$.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    I have a seasoning question for ya'll.  As I said above I've started the seasoning process - I've used flaxseed oil and cooked that in.  Then I charred some green onions and flaxseed oil.

I'm left with a fairly dark top, but the dark stuff is not hard and has texture to it.  I could at this point scrape it off with my thumb nail.  Do i scrape that off before continuing to season?  or season right over top of it?  
    Phoenix 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2015
    How do you get the volcano effect ?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    blasting said:
    I have a seasoning question for ya'll.  As I said above I've started the seasoning process - I've used flaxseed oil and cooked that in.  Then I charred some green onions and flaxseed oil.

I'm left with a fairly dark top, but the dark stuff is not hard and has texture to it.  I could at this point scrape it off with my thumb nail.  Do i scrape that off before continuing to season?  or season right over top of it?  
    I scraped between each round of seasoning. Oil only on the first, then wiped it down. Onions on the second round, then scraped and wiped down.

It was my first round of bacon that made my top surface really darken. Scrape and wipe down after every use. I let it cool down for a few minutes after I finish, squirt some water on it, scrape, then wipe down with paper towel or a damp white cotton cloth (found a bulk pack at Sam's Club for a few bucks).

I haven't bothered with a coating of oil afterwards since the initial few rounds of seasoning and cooking. 
    YMMV
    South SLO County
  • Thatgrimguy
    I agree with @SoCalWJS except I wipe the griddle down with of after every single cook as the last thing I do before I'm done.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    blasting said:

Turn the griddle on high for a while and let that tacky stuff crust on a bit more. 
  • blasting
    edited July 2015
    @SoCalWJS  & @Thatgrimguythank you.  

fyi - all skeptisism is now gone - I'm very pleased.  I'm heading to RD today to pick up what I know I can get there, equipment wise.  Also placed an order with Amazon for the rest - package arriving today.

Today I'm going to procure the top / cover materials which should be built next week - pics to follow at that time.  I'm building a hard top that will double as a prep table when cooking.

I sure hope they don't invent anything else (yeah right) that's a "must have".  I justified this purchase because I need it for camping.  I also sold two charcoal grills, campstove, and an extra gas grill.  Now I don't have to feel bad since it was "self financing" and I've got an emptier shop.
    Phoenix 
  • 4Runner
    Good deal.  I'm really enjoying mine too. Did chicken breasts for the first time and tasted really good.  The marinade reduces on the flattop and creates an intense flavor.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Never knew how much fun it would be to cook eggs, bacon and hash browns for my daughter on the patio at 8 in the morning.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Ok, i have to admit my interest it starting to warm up. For all of you cooking on them. Are they under cover. I am concerned with rust. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Jstroke said:
    Ok, i have to admit my interest it starting to warm up. For all of you cooking on them. Are they under cover. I am concerned with rust. 
    I have mine covered with a tarp.  No problems yet
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Never knew how much fun it would be to cook eggs, bacon and hash browns for my daughter on the patio at 8 in the morning.
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoy smoking, grilling, baking and all else on the egg but you just named it on the head. There is nothing like cooking with the family and friends right there in the moment on the griddle. It is a different feeling of accomplishment. Most of the time they are part of it. Read what @cazzy had to say about cooking with his kids. I think he will agree. Get yourself one and enjoy.
    my thanks go out to @Thatgrimguy for the push over the edge.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Anyone have the stainless? If it's going to be outside is it worth it?
    Greensboro, NC
  • bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    @Wolfpack I asked same thing. I did not get the stainless. Seemed like the only reason to get stainless was if it were going to be outside and exposed. Mine will be in garage covered up so I didn't spend the extra money. Cooked a big breakfast on mine this morning for my family and it was pretty cool. I really wanted to mix a Bloody Mary at 7:00 a.m. This morning!!!!
  • blasting
    Jstroke said:

When I picked mine up yesterday, there was one that was covered with rust at HD.  It had been in the garden department.  That was unseasoned, but still, I think you'd for sure want to cover it.

Seems most guys are buying a cover or keeping them inside.  I'm building a Corian cover for mine.  I'll pull it off and it will become a prep table right next to it.   Should be done gluing up tomorrow.  Will post pics next week.
    Phoenix 
  • 4Runner
    It's only the base or table that is stainless...not the cooktop.  I don't think it is worth it.  Mine is uncovered in garage.  Still hot and humid there.  
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    @Jstroke, I am in MI and have had my Blackstone for nearly a year.  I bought the vinyl cover, but otherwise totally exposed to the elements.  No rust yet.  A little water may collect on the griddle surface, it just bubbles up on the seasoned surface.  As noted earlier you will want to place something under the cover in the midlle of the griddle to create a slight tent so water runs off instead of collecting and puddling.  The griddle is just fun to use.
  • bigdogk9
    Does anyone use a knife to cut vegetables or meat on the griddle or is not a good idea?
  • cazzy
    Hotch said:
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoy smoking, grilling, baking and all else on the egg but you just named it on the head. There is nothing like cooking with the family and friends right there in the moment on the griddle. It is a different feeling of accomplishment. Most of the time they are part of it. Read what @cazzy had to say about cooking with his kids. I think he will agree. Get yourself one and enjoy.
    my thanks go out to @Thatgrimguy for the push over the edge.
    He is already part of the Blackstone family Hotch!   :)
  • blasting
    NCSmoky said:
    Ya'll suck  :s (money from my wallet)

@NCSmoky   I agree.  I'm going to ban myself from the forum if this doesn't stop.

Where did you get that BGE decal?

Phoenix 
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    blasting said:

@NCSmoky   I agree.  I'm going to ban myself from the forum if this doesn't stop.

Where did you get that BGE decal?
    @ the Mothership. Didn't have any out but they gave me several when I asked about them.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    This thread sucks!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • bigdogk9
    I had fun with mine today. Cooked breakfast and then a little Japanese for dinner. Wife and kids loved it!!!!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I'm glad I have been following this thread before I do my patio.  Definetly need room for this griddle thingy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Had to do it..

Grilled Cheese, Burger

Looks awesome man!  When thinking about it, I figured I would use thin slices white bread and press/smash them (I never do that).  How did you like them?