Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone griddle

Options
I had read on this forum about seasoning a blakestone griddle with onions? Need to season mine. Any idea so?

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I would follow @Thatgrimguy's seasoning advice.  That's what I did and it turned out great. After I did that I cooked a pound of bacon.  I have a nice nonstick surface now.  Welcome to the blackstone club! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I wanna join!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options

Followed  @Thatgrimguy's advice on seasoning, including the onions. Worked nicely.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I suggest using green onions instead, then fry up some bacon.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • saucedupbbq
    Options
    FYI  If anyone is interested bed bath and beyond has the Blackstone griddle online same price as other stores, however you can use a 20% coupon towards the purchase and free shipping. I went to Home Depot customer service took my pics from iPad and coupon and they matched the price from bbb they also shipped free to my home. Great deal. 
  • saucedupbbq
    Options
    Thanks for info for seasoning 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @saucedupbbq I saw your post on my wall and wanted to respond here as well so that I know you see it.  I copied this directly from @Thatgrimguy's post. You can read the entire thread here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182676/ot-blackstone-36-griddle-is-legit/p1   Like @cazzy mentioned I did use green onions as well as regular onions. 

Congrats!!  Someone on bbq brethren asked me about seasoning. Hope this helps you too. 

- I used 2 methods. One from my cast iron experience and one from my wok experience.

First clean the griddle. Soap, scrub, then pour boiling water over it till it's perfectly clean. 

Crank it up to high and get it bone dry. I took some paper towel and held it with a long set of tongs. I used Ghee, you can use coconut oil or Flax Seed oil (if you can find it) and if you can't find any of that, go for vegetable oil. The goal is to find the oil with the highest smoke point. So once it's baked on, it can take the most heat.

So with the griddle hot as hell and still getting hotter, I throw a significant amount of oil on the griddle and start rubbing it around the metal. Being very sure to get every piece of exposed metal (including the back wall and the outside of the wall.) The oil will smoke like fire. This is good. It's going past the smoke point and laying down that nice nonstick surface. 

This process takes every bit of 30 minutes to do right. Just keep a thin (as thin as possible) layer of oil over the hot griddle and let it smoke. You really need to be careful not to let any oil puddle up during this. We want a thin consistent layer of oil over the entire surface. I went through a lot of paper towel during the process. Put oil down, then wipe it up and spread it around. It will start turning black in the middle. Once you have a nice looking blackish surface let it cool down and wipe up the residual oil layer. Let it cool COMPLETELY.

Then come back for round 2. Preheat the griddle (don't add oil yet) to a little over low heat. Chop up a bunch of onions and throw them on the hot griddle. Then put some oil on the onions and start sauteeing them. Move them all over the grill with plenty of oil. Rub them all over the surface. Everywhere. Let them go till they are black and nasty. I took at least another half hour to do this. We want to make sure there is no metallic flavor left and finish up the seasoning. These onions get tossed and we are ready to make real food!!!

I wanted to really seal in this seasoning layer, so I started with lots of bacon. The bacon grease just adds to the layer and off I went. Mine is working like I've had it for years even though I just assembled it last night.

Hope this helps, I have done a lot of research on seasoning techniques when I went on a Griswold shopping spree!

1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This works too and is what I did on my CI and my Blackstone.  Essentially, 6 coats of flaxseed oil and you are ready to go.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Go go ahead and sauté onions and cook bacon but be sure it eat it after....good luck. 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2015
    Options
    One improvement on the seasoning process that @cazzy mentioned was using green onions instead of onions. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    One improvement on the seasoning process that @cazzy mentioned was using green onions instead of onions. 
    Also folks, just cut them in half.  Pretty quick!

The chick from the Wok Shop actually suggests chives first, but said green onions next.  At my market, chives are only sold in tiny packs for $3 a pop, where green onions are $.68 a bundle (I bought 6).
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Awesome!  Doing this but with green onions this weekend.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options
    Flaxseed Oil works great and is worth the extra coin IMO.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'll look into that.  Hopefully they have some in my area.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'll look into that.  Hopefully they have some in my area.  
    Check Whole Foods.
    Phoenix