Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs...

Options
Never done em' before but want to try this weekend. Anyone buy them at Costco? How do you cook? Seasoning? What exactly am I looking for- not short rib, right?  Help me out here folks. 

Also, FWIW, I'm cooking shoulder bottom rack same cook on my large. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• islanderegger
    islanderegger Posts: 69
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with short ribs, my favorite.

Oh ya, I use just salt, pepper and cayenne.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    L&S (225℉-250℉) & indirect but of course. I like to use a good rub that heightens the beef flavor but honestly kosher salt & fresh cracked ground pepper is about all you need. If you're gonna sauce em do so during the last 15 minutes or less so they don't over carmelize on ya. Pull once they probe clean with a toothpick. Some people prefer short ribs. I do not. Some foil them once they achieve the color they want. I'm in the non foil camp. If you feel the need to wrap em use butchers paper whether it be brown or pink/peach. Good luck.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Beef ribs are my favorite, follow what @NPHuskerFL said and you are golden.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to cook beef back ribs but could never find very meaty ones.  The ones I could buy tasted pretty good, but were mostly bone.  I then started to watch here on the forum and began to get interested in making chuck short ribs.  I don't like braised beef, so I was looking for ways to cook them without liquid.

Try to find whole slabs of chuck short ribs - talk to your butcher about not cutting them up or buy them at Restaurant Depot which always has them that way.

Here is a cook I did with pictures.  In this cook, I used foil part way through but I have since stopped doing that and just cook them a little longer.  They always come out great - very meaty and they have a great taste.  I have also tried the boneless chuck short ribs from Restaurant Depot and they cook the same and have a lot less fat but have the same great taste.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178629/chuck-short-ribs?new=1

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JDoubleH
    JDoubleH Posts: 112
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I used to cook beef back ribs but could never find very meaty ones.  The ones I could buy tasted pretty good, but were mostly bone.  I then started to watch here on the forum and began to get interested in making chuck short ribs.  I don't like braised beef, so I was looking for ways to cook them without liquid.

Try to find whole slabs of chuck short ribs - talk to your butcher about not cutting them up or buy them at Restaurant Depot which always has them that way.

Here is a cook I did with pictures.  In this cook, I used foil part way through but I have since stopped doing that and just cook them a little longer.  They always come out great - very meaty and they have a great taste.  I have also tried the boneless chuck short ribs from Restaurant Depot and they cook the same and have a lot less fat but have the same great taste.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178629/chuck-short-ribs?new=1

Thanks for the input, everyone. Hey @Shiff- have any experience with the boneless short ribs from Costco? Don't have access to Restaurant Depot, unfortunately. 
  • Shiff
    Options
    @JDoubleH Several years ago I did try the Costco boneless chuck ribs but wasn't happy with the results.  I prefer getting the whole slab (bones or no bones) since I think they cook better.  Others have had good results, so it might just have been the way I cooked them that time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    If you can find a restaurant supply place to go to - they usually sell the dinosaur sized ribs as "short ribs". I recently picked up a 4 pack (4 racks of ribs) for $80 - one rack is more then enough for one cook - these things are monsters. To cook - simply season with rub of choice, set egg to indirect with drip pan, get to 225-250ish and cook away. I usually pull around 190 to rest in the yeti for a few hours.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Funny, I have walked past those COSTCO bonless beef ribs a million times but never pulled the trigger.  They look great but not cheap, so I wasnt quite sure what to do with them.  I will stick to bone-in after reading this.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Shiff
    Options
    Something to be careful of at Restaurant Depot or other similar stores.  Beef ribs come in many varieties.  The ones being discussed here are generally sold as Plate Ribs (3 bones) or Chuck Short Ribs (4 bones).  Plate Ribs cost about twice as much as the Chuck Short Ribs.  They both cook about the same although the Chuck ones usually require a slightly longer cook.

I've seen these 2 types of ribs mixed together at Restaurant Depot so be careful which one you choose - read the label to make sure.  In my personal opinion, I like the Chuck Short Ribs since they have less fat, but both are excellent.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Options
    Here's a great read about the beef rib phenominan. http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/you-may-love-beef-short-ribs-pitmasters-dont
    That's the article that got me started with beef ribs
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JDoubleH
    JDoubleH Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Really good stuff here. I found some full slabs available at a (very) specialty butcher here in Memphis, but may be too rich for my tastes. May try another meat market or two to find full slabs. 
  • Shiff
    Options
    There is a restaurant depot in Memphis that should have full slabs of plate ribs and chuck short ribs (and back ribs if you like those).  If you join the Kansas City BBQ Society you can get free day passes to Restaurant Depot.  If you have any business papers you can get a free membership.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA