Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointed : First Meatloaf

Went raised direct - big mistake, at least with meat mix I used.  Mixed chuck with pork.  Grease smoke was ridiculous.  Taste it in on the meatloaf and even on the tarts that I baked after.  Will try again but indirect with drip pan.
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    You got it, indirect.  I do meatloaf indirect at about 400 until the internal temp hits 155º.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Hey brother, live and learn. I bet next time you'll knock it out of the ballpark.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Got to give you credit, but also got to ask a question. Your individual meatloafs seem unusual. Was that for a company thing, or family meal? A true "loaf" can be sliced thin and the presentation can be pretty - though meatloaf IMHO will always be a comfort meal.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Keep trying, sounds like you're on the right track with indirect. I hate meatloaf, unless I egg it. A bacon weave is awesome too, but you'll have to go away from the individuals, or do lots of weaves. 
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Definitely indirect for meatloaf!
    You live and learn that's part of the fun of the journey!
    Generally speaking if it is an item you bake in the oven... (meatloaf) you would do the same on your egg!  Baking is always indirect... though there are many ways to achieve indirect cooking!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Looks good nonetheless and gladl sample one of the tarts for a second opinion.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    @RRP  Ron, my boss had talked about doing small meatloafs and freezing some for later.  He uses small foil loaf pans.  You make a good point about slices - I hadn't had a meatloaf in forever.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Not sure, in your, case why you had such an issue with your smoke.

I always do meatloaf, with the bacon weave, raised direct with the dome thermo around 350* and have never had a problem with smoke.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Yeah @QingEsq, I definitely didn't discard them.  ;)

@TexanOfTheNorth had a good fire with RW - no smoke.  After the meet had been on for 5 to 10 minutes the smoke started heavy.  After the tarts were off, I opened top and bottom, and it ran up to 600.  It took about an hour at 600 for the smoke to clear.

Thanks everyone for your input. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I wonder if having the six separate meatloafs contributed to the heavy smoke? Can't really understand how that might be but, could there have been more grease, dripping over a larger portion of the burning lump (some areas maybe not as hot as others) so that you got some smoldering instead of burning right off?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    MEATLOAFCooking Spray1/2 bag Garlic/Cheese croutons Large zip-top bag 1 pound ground beef 1 pound ground round 1 pound ground pork 1 cup milk 4 eggs 2 teaspoons meat seasoning (Chef Paul’s Meat Magic) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/2 cup ketchup 1/2 cup maple syrup  1. Preheat BGE to 375°F. Coat a 9x13” pan with cooking spray.  2. Place croutons in zip-top bag and crush finely. Combine all ingredients (except ketchup and syrup) in bowl, mixing just until combined (do not over-mix). Place in pan and shape into a loaf. Wash hands. 40–45 minutes on BGE or until internal temperature reaches 165°F or higher. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness.  3. Combine ketchup and syrup in small bowl. Five minutes before time is complete, pour over meatloaf; complete bake time. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  May seem like a lot but it will go and it’s great for leftovers.  This is by far the best meatloaf I have ever eaten!!

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    buzzvol said:
    @RRP  Ron, my boss had talked about doing small meatloafs and freezing some for later.  He uses small foil loaf pans.  You make a good point about slices - I hadn't had a meatloaf in forever.
    We do this sometimes and vacuseal/freeze individually to stock the kids' freezers at school, works really well.  We usually use 1/3 lean beef, 1/3 jimmy dean, 1/3 ground turkey, they don't give off as much grease (we either cook indirect or in the oven when we're doing a big batch).
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    at least you weren't "Devastated"  =)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight