Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me with Pizza

Options
Langner91
Langner91 Posts: 2,120
I did my first "home made" pizza today.  It wasn't 100% home made because I started with a store-bought dough.  But, up until now, all I have done are Papa Murphy Take-and-Bake style.

Anyway, my wife and I were not on the same page with this one.  I had the Egg set up as follows:  Plate Setter, legs up.  Grid, Raised Grid, and then my LBGE Stone.  The stone was in the Egg while it was heating up.

She thought I would bring a cold stone into the house and build the pizza on it and then we would put the pizza and stone on the egg.  I told her I thought the stone needed to be hot.

She and I struggled to get  the dough spread out, pizza built and then onto the stone.  We finally gave up, and brought the hot stone into the house, on hot pads, and built the pizza that way.

How do you all do it?  How do you get a floppy pizza onto your stone, while the stone is in the egg?  

The pizza turned out GREAT, but she and I weren't speaking for about five minutes becuase we both had different ideas on how to do this.  Help me out, and tell me how you do it, please!

Clinton, Iowa

Comments

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    you are correct about the stone needing to be hot.  my method is to fire up and get my egg stable at anywhere b/w 500-550 but usually closer to 500- the dough i make is thin and can burn quicker at higher temps.  once I stabilize, i put in the PS legs down, factory grate, 4 large tin cans (the kind that you buy crushed tomatoes in) to elevate my stone, then the stone.  Sometimes I put the cans on the PS and then the grate but don't remember which I did last time...doesn't matter.  I let the stone sit in the egg at 500 for at least 30 min while i get my stuff together inside.  

I roll out my dough on a floured counter top and when I get it to the size and thickness I want, transfer it to the peel that has a fine cornmeal spread on it to prevent sticking.  I assemble the pizza on the peel giving a shake every few second to make sure it doesn't stick.  once assembled, I take it out and slide it on to the already hot stone and 5-6 min later, it comes off.  having the stone that hot is big IMO.
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Langner91
    Options
    Thanks, @hoofaloos.  That makes good sense.  I don't have a peel, so that is where we were amiss.  I know some folks use parchment, but the dough was too sticky to work it on the parchment.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    A peel is a must IMO.  Any restaurant supply store or even home depot on the cheap.  I got mine on amazon and love it
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Make sure your dough comes to room temperature before shaping.  Help it stay where you want it.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Langner91
    Options
    I bet ours was still a bit too cold, nothing we did kept it looking like a pizza.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Check out the super peel on Amazon. Well worth the cost. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I use and recommend parchment paper. Build your za on the paper and transfer all to the stone. Stone should preheat in the egg. Be patient
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I too like parchment paper on the peel.  That or semolina.  Stone must be hot!  Pull the parchment if you use it after 2 or 3 minutes then finish.  Your raised indirect approach is correct, 550 degrees depending on your dough. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga