Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Balancing AR on Woo

Options
   I've been lurking on here for quite a while (way before I got my XL), so, first, I just wanted to thank the community, this forum is such a great resource!

As I'm sure people know, Tom does not recommend putting XL AR directly on the woo. To use them together you need to sit the AR on the stock 24" grid, but then you can't easily access the lump ( one of the things I love about using just the AR). 

Tom told me that me might make a "connector" in the future, but I was wondering if anyone had any simple solutions in the meantime? I'd love to run my stone of the woo and then 3 grids on the AR. 

Thanks!

My egg in action:

[IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/massdiver/null_30.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Sometimes although not recommended things work. My old grid worked with the mini woo, even though I paid $40 for a new one because the site said they don't work. You can also put the r&b oval stone directly on the fire ring opening up more room on your rig for the grids and food. So trial and error can get you by some of these non recommendations or things that don't work. I know some of it is for safety reasons.
    Seattle, WA
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    The XL AR doesn't lend itself to mounting on top of the woo. I've tried it once and it was way too unstable. I honestly think you're stuck with the 24" grate in between (this is what I do when I need 3 levels and the stone down low on the spider portion. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I do it all the time and have no issues whatsoever 
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • hardwoodcooker
    Options
    I use the extra large CI grid from Cracort, I remove one of the pie shaped inserts if I need access to the lump. Sets perfectly on the ci grid, woo and stone in place for indirect cooks.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How about the XL Spider to hold your stone?
    This will allow you to use the lower notch on your AR and still get to the lump to add wood chunks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Certainly,  I don't need 3 grids all time, but it's nice sometimes.

Im thinking about taking a couple stainless u-brackets and having the woo sit on them and then having the at sit in them or on them?

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I stack mine all the time. No problems here.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    here is a pic for reference.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD