Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table vs Nest... Advice

anthonys735
anthonys735 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a bit of a dilemma, I have been researching building a table for my large and really trying to figure out how to build it to fit my deck perfectly.

However this past weekend I stained my deck and really utilized the mobility of my nest. Now I am thinking of just building a nice little side table and leaving the egg in the nest.

Any old timers have advice, war stories, suggestions?

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    You are probably not going to stain your deck every weekend so mobility isn't needed all the time. I had a nest, now a table and wouldn't go back to the nest. No working room.
  • Before I finished reading your post I was thinking what ever you have room for. While a table can be very useful you can get by just fine with the Egg Mates. My XL is in a table and I have a large in the nest. The mates proviide a place to set things down just fine. It is just a matter of what you have room for where you use your Egg. Some people have even built corner tables if that helps any. Here are several pics to help you decide. :)
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You can also put wheels on you table if you go that route.
  • Thats why I am thinking of a table to sit the egg next to.

I actually move the egg often. Where I grill on my deck has a little portion with no roof, when I am not using it I roll it over next to the house out of the weather.

I have plenty of room for any size table and I had been dead set on building a table, however tonight while grilling I easily pulled the grill over when the storms rolled through and got to thinking, maybe a nice table to sit the grill next to would work better.

Plan on taking the egg to several tailgates in the fall as well so... at this point I am thinking, maybe build a table in a fashion that it could be transformed into a nest if need be but leaving the egg out.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I was going to go all tables. After seeing AZRP's set up I think one or more work tables and nest's are the way to go. Easy to move things around for the cook.

GG
  • When rolling an egg around in the nest always pull it, never push it. If pushing it and it goes to flip over you will not be able to stop it.
  • Grandpas Grub wrote:
    I was going to go all tables. After seeing AZRP's set up I think one or more work tables and nest's are the way to go. Easy to move things around for the cook.

GG

I agree. Just looking for someone to give me a definitive "NO!! Table is the only way to go."

Right now I am using two fold up couch dinner trays on each side and it works great. However I know the convenience of a large table with cutting board at the correct height would be something I'd love.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Nest and a prep table or tables if you need mobility. I need to cook away from where I store My Eggs. If you plan to tailgate how do you lift the Egg out of the table?
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    The nest is good, Mates are handy but a table is an outdoor kitchen.
    I have nest/mates, I would like a table.
    I have a Weber performer too and love the fact I can wheel it about (big wheels, solid handles) and still have some space to put things (a surface and storage).
    If you want mobility I think it's a good design - think of the wheelbarrow nature.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Funny, as one who has practically made a career off of Whiz Flashburn and his Way Cool Technicolor table and plans, I halfway prefer nests with side tables to a big old table that needs to be taken care off. I wouldn't be averse to having some sort of small table on the side and have my Egg in a nest. My medium and small Eggs are in nests and I don't miss having a table near them.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I cook on the driveway of my second detached garage… also have a regular attached garage. I love my nest. I cook all over the place depending on which way the wind is blowing… or if I want to be in the sun or the shade of a tree… or I can make sure I’m clear of guests or kids… or I park it just outside my door so I can be out of the rain. When I’m done and its cool I just roll it inside… I love my detached garage too. I can see the benefits of a nice big table but there is also something to be said about mobility.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Mobility can be solved with wheels on the table. However, I'd recommend casters on both ends. The table with Egg installed can be heavy and tough to move. I'll probably upgrade my table with casters all the way round.

BTW, I'm a pro-table guy! ;)

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • Thanks guys. Great feedback and exactly what I was looking for. I think I was a little gung ho when I started investigating a table but after my little epiphany I might hold off on a table with the the egg built in. Seems like the nest is suiting my needs very well at the time.

BTW, for the tailgates I live .8 miles from our parking spot for the games so I'll only be taking the egg once or twice. I'll mainly be cooking at home.
  • ckeegan
    ckeegan Posts: 4
    Yeah, I bought my first bge (large) last weekend, and didn't go with the nest, although the dealer offered it for $77 (which I thought was a decent price). Building a table next weekend, but priced all materials (wood, screws, sealer, casters, and paver) today, and it'll come to $102 + tax.

From some egghead friends, they definitely recommended a table setup, and I have to have somewhere to mount my bottle opener!
  • It's all about the Eggsperience. Making your own table-- cutting the wood, sanding it, applying varnish, etc is VERY rewarding.

For the table owners.........
    1) Stroll up to the table
    2) Open a bottle of beer on the opener
    3) Remind yourself how awesome it was you put that opener on there
    4) Pull out your box of gear on the shelf or or underneath, set it on top.
    5) Think about how awesome it is to not have to run back and forth to the garage or some outdoor storage cabinet.
    6) Start building your big bad Egg fire
    7) Look down at that one knotty or grainy piece of cypress you put up front cause it had character.
    8) Admire the fire and the smell as you put the box back on the shelf with some Eggsessories still out.
    9) Laugh because some neighbor just said the food smells great (but it's still just the fire getting going)
    9b) Beer #2
    10) Start the cook
    11) When you are prepping / plating / etc, remind yourself how nice it is to wipe up any messes from that varnished table you built by hand like the stud you are.
    12) Field questions from your guests about how long it took to build the table, how you and your kid / father / friend enjoyed it, figured out some cool stuff when you built it.
    12b) Beer #3
    13) Plate the food
    14) Shut down the Egg
    15) Put all the stuff back in the box in the table and pat yourself on the back with your free hand-- because it just takes one hand to carry your beer back to your big bad comfy seat, Mr Awesome.

Just a thought.

Oh, and for a deck, you may want bigger wheels than casters.
  • I think a custom made table is the best way to make you Egg your own
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    There's no doubt that a sturdy counter height work surface (or two) alongside the Egg (or Eggs) with storage underneath is a good idea. I'm just not convinced that building the Egg (or Eggs) into the table adds a lot of value. Of course, I already have nests for the Large and the Small and that's bound to influence my thinking.

And this is all hypothetical for me anyway because the EggDeck is still a pile of materials settling into the mud.
  • TLKraus
    TLKraus Posts: 1
    What about a small side table with wheels that you can butt up against the Egg? If it's wood you can cut the top to fit closer to the Egg for that custom look.  I have a grill also so it's nice it is mobile and can be moved around the patio.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I am going to add from the peanut gallery. I would build two tables one for each side or to form an L shape. I can see you like mobility. But you want room. Put them on casters and let the top hang off and cut them so the egg can be surounded. This will give you all the possibilities.  Personally if I was you I would get the mini max for tailgaiting 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    I have been having the same debate of whether to place my XL in a table or keep it in the nest and have a prep table. I'm opting for the latter, an L-shaped counter/prep table with the XL in the nest at one end and the Weber gasser at the other end.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    I had a nest topple over with my Egg, and it shattered. I finally got around to getting a new Egg, but I bought a table for it (that is loads more stable).

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • chick533
    chick533 Posts: 50
    Bought SS table at Sam's club. Put between XL and Medium. Eggs in their nest. Have all kinds of space to work on and mobile if needed. Table @ Sams Club is a little over $100. No need to maintain wood table finish year round.
    2XLBGE, Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini, 36" Blackstone
    Raymore, MO
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    With my upcoming table build, even though my egg will be on the deck that is a foot off the ground, I will include wheels.  No casters, but will have the no-flat rubber wheels built on the inside so they are not outside visible.  Placing them inside the table with a skirting board to conceal most of the wheel is what I'm thinking.  I can put the rotating wheels in there as well.

Whattya'll think?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    If going with a nest for mobility, a nest handler is essential. Have one on each of my larges. Makes moving it around much safer and gives you a real handle to use to pull.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.