Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Trader Joes

Im in st louis for the night, going to hit trader joes later. What are some must buy items? I have a cooler for perishables. 

Also, any dinner recs for the area? Im staying at the cheshire near forest park. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited July 2015
    I'm a huge fan of Trader Joe's Goddess Dressing. Good on salads, veggies, sandwiches, etc.  I'll buy 5-6 bottles at a time.

If you don't like to make your own pizza dough Trader Joes is cheap and good

Mozzarella cheese is usually cheaper at TJ. They also have a nice selection of cheese 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I just stocked up on sams club pizza dough

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Primivito Sangiovese. Great wine for $4.40. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Sriracha BBQ Sauce. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Anheuser Bush products B)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    For Q - Pappy's (near SLU) or Sugar Fire (Olivette is closest to where you're staying).  For at least Pappy's, I suggest calling first to find out if / what they're sold out of.  If you're around for lunch, I highly recommend Bogart's in Soulard (they close at 4, so out for today).

For pizza - Pi (Delmar loop), get the deep dish.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Cookie butter, frozen oriental chicken, pizza/spag sauces are real good
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    lewisj82 said:
    Sriracha BBQ Sauce. 
    ^^^this

also...

jar of sambal mutah
    bag of shishito peppers (produce section)
    loaf of cracked wheat sourdough if you like bread

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I really like their orange chicken.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They have some good salsas.
    If you like hummus, they have lots of different kinds, including a beet hummus my wife likes but I'm not so sure on.

And +1000 on the cookie butter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    TJ's is the only place I recall seeing tri-tip in my area, at least on a regular basis.  If tri-tip is hard to find near you . . .

Oh, and frozen chocolate croissants that you let rise overnight and put into the toaster oven in the morning.  It is a luxurious treat.

Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Cookie butter, pizza dough, wine, brie, coconut oil, hummus.  I love TJ's.
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    +1 for wine.  It's hard to beat two buck chuck. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I have never tried the cookie butter for exactly the reason everyone has mentioned it here, it's supposed to be incredible and addicting.

spices are usually a good deal, the smoked paprika is good and there are some other interesting blends

get a bag of the sweet and spicy pecans and if you can find any Thai spiced nuts, get those.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    +1 on the hummus.  Occasionally I'll find the combo pack, which is four different kinds:  original, garlic, roasted red pepper and scallion.  The scallion is the bomb.com

you may have to fork over an extra dollar for the Charles Shaw.  Round these parts we get the Three Buck Chuck.  Still a deal! 

If they have Schoolbook cookies, get those.  It's a bucket of snicker doodle flavored letter cookies.  I write out inappropriate phrases to my wife with them.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Must have- Trader Joes oatmeal, Traders Joes strawberry jam and Traders Joes KC BBQ Sauce. 
    McKinney, TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Great cheap wine
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Trader Joes Clam Chowder ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Their frozen oriental entrees...  the centerpiece of many a dinner here.   Their pizza aren't bad either, and are Eggable.
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    +1 on hummus and pizza.  I specifically seek out their cilantro and chive yogurt dip (located near the hummus), frozen pot stickers, french fries, tater tots, frozen brown rice, red pepper spread, french toast and joe joes/oreo cookies.  I pretty much just laid out my entire shopping list for the week.

Also, they have all the kinds of cheeses and the prices are right.

LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Pineapple Juice not from concentrate, Gravenstein  apple sauce. Meyer lemon cookie thins
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    TJ's Salsa Verde always reminds me of some I ate in New Mexico at a little Mom and Pop place near Carrizozo.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    +1 pizza dough, cheeses
    We also like some of TJ's coffee beans and flax seed tortilla chips. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Cookie Butter is Amazing, every time we go to TJ which is maybe once a year we stock up on that stuff!
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Cookie butter, coconut oil, frozen mac and cheese, pasta sauces, bbq sauce, fancy mustards, grits. 

FWIW, my wife bought some Biscoff cookies spread at our local grocery store and it was really, really close to the TJ cookie butter.  Just thought I would mention this for anyone jonesing for cookie butter that is not near a Trader Joes...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Laxin16
    Laxin16 Posts: 62
    Try the Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches located in the ice cream cooler! 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    They always have a real great selection of cheeses.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon